Adolf Galland- The Authorized Biography by David Baker

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

PCScipio42

Airman 1st Class
May 9, 2012
Baltimore
Started this one last week. Not the page turner that "the Star of Africa" was, but decent so far. I've read about his early life and the campaigns in Spain, Poland and France. I was hoping the author would give more detail about his victories but not much to be gleaned from on that end. Concentrates more on his command style than his pilot skills. About ready to start on the chapters on the Battle of Britain. One thing that surprised me was how far ahead Moelders was ahaead of Galland in victories and that Galland will make a race out of it at some point. Makes me wonder how many victories Galland would have racked up if he wasn't relegated to a desk for most of the war, but that may have saved his life. Will post more when I read a few more chapters.

Finished this last summer and you are correct. It doesn't go into his victories so much but great background info on his early years and eye-opening info about his years as General der Jagdflieger.

I really enjoyed the book.

Check Amazon. I got mine - a hardback - for about $1.50 used.

51wQ18AlmaL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Just finished the chapters on Battle of Britain....good stuff. I had never heard the story of Galland performing an "outside loop" before reading this.

Finished this book. Pace picked up from Battle of Britain to the end of the war. Interesting story on how it was more Goering than Hitler on the 262 being looked at as a bomber. Wasn't aware of the discord between Herrmann and Galland, either. It doesn't seem Galland was given credit for his few victories while testing how to attack bombers, but maybe I am mistaken. One could make a case for Galland being the best pilot in the war, especially considering how many of his victories were Spitfires. Recommended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back