Advice on Typhoon flap installation

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

canuckdriver

Recruit
Dec 24, 2007
Barrie, Ontario
Have an old set of Ultracast's Monogram Typhoon flight controls that include a set of outboard and inboard flaps. I am building Hasegawa's Typhoon 1B Bubble Canopy kit. Scale 1:48.

Really want to have the flaps extended but am having difficulty in figuring out a way to fit them. I cut out the flaps and ailerons from the wing and am now trying to think of a great way to fill in the gaps at the wing root, rear spar and make it look realistic. I am slightly concerned about the spot at the fuselage where the wings mate... may destroy the detail of the fuselage fairing that blends into the wing. The flaps go pretty close to the centerline of the fuselage. May get tricky.

Has anyone taken on this project before that may be able to give advice, or steer me toward some references?

Thanks.

Hi,
I do know nothing about your progress with the model ( no pics attached) but I have assumed you have cut off these part after the wings,vertical stabilizers and halves of fuselage with the fin and rudder had been glued together.
I've uploaded here a pic with Fw190D9 ( I know it is not of Typhoon but the idea is common for all kind of a/c models) rear-lower part of wing which was prepared for opened flaps and movable ailerons mounting.As you can see in the pic the rear spar "A" was made with halves of the wing but in your model it wasn't.So it is your first part you have to make.Put the both halves of the wing together and try to get the rear spar dimensions.If these have already been glued together try to do it as well.Then use a thin sheet of plastic to make it.It would be better if you could have a drawings of these parts that could help you with this.Probably you will be forced to make the rest of wing scruture at the area "B" like a modeller did in the pic.But it depends on you only how accurate model you want to have.When the rear spar is made and glued to wing ,clean up the area with sandpaper etc.. for sure you know what I mean.Then you can make mounts for an aileron and fit these to your one from a set for instance.If you don't have these you can use these cut off.Of course these should be assembled together firstly if consisted of two parts.All unfilled places at them you can fill up with plastic stripes and then sanded into a proper shape and polished.For their mounting you can use a thin copper wire.There is no need to make an axis for this ,instead of this you can use short sections of the wire glued into drilled two holes in the aileron and the spar.It is a good kind of a simple hinge.The same hinge you can use for rudder and elavators.Certainly these have to be supplemented with leading edges etc...I have some pics somewhere if you need I can find them and upload here.
I hope I helped you a bit and that the idea is clear for you.But if you have additional questions feel free to ask.
Hoping to see pics of your efford.:D

BTW as plastic sheets you can use some parts of plastic boxes etc...It is important that these plastic sheets should be glued with the adhesive for your model easly.If not ,you have use the cyanoacrylate glue (SuperGlue for instance).

Attachments

• Fw190D-9.jpg
    Fw190D-9.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 169
Hey,

Thanks a lot for the advice. This is my first attempt at using the plastic card and it seems to be going OK. I don't think I am going to get too crazy on the detail, but will try and make it look reasonable. I will post pictures as I go along. I got a fair amount done today. It's starting to take shape.

Thanks again.

Hey,

Thanks a lot for the advice. This is my first attempt at using the plastic card and it seems to be going OK. I don't think I am going to get too crazy on the detail, but will try and make it look reasonable. I will post pictures as I go along. I got a fair amount done today. It's starting to take shape.

Thanks again.

Making additional parts for a model is not difficult.But we should remember that all changes thet we want to introduce into our model must be planned earlier then we start assembling.It lets avoid many troubles with this.
So I'm glad I helped a bit.

ThunderThud dear friend, this is Canuckdriver's thread about Typhoon flaps but it's very kind of you that you have upload the pic of the Fw190 flap bay.Thanks a lot for this.It can come in handy really.:D

Wurger, I continually admire you and your knowledge. You are a real gem on this forum.

Thank you dear friend,that's very kind of you.:D
I think that you are also very good at many things.:thumbleft:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back