Aermacchi MB 339A Pan 1/48 scale (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Just now found this thread Vic. I've had more than one paint job come out like that. The interior is beautiful and well worth saving, and it looks like your on the right track to do just that.

My grateful thanks for the encouragement guys, there are times when it is really needed and this was one of them.

Progress has been slow with many breaks being taken to relieve the monotony but at last all the paint has been stripped back to the original plastic and the whole cleaned up. Next I've had to clean out all the panel lines. Again a steady process and here are a couple of shots of the before and after of the wings.

This machine has more panel screws in it than bolts in one of Glenn's bridges!

120214-1A.jpg

120214-1B.jpg

Good on ya Vic! What did you use to scrape out the panel lines?

Mainly what suited from this selection Even. The two pin-vices each have a sewing needle and a rather large pin secured in them. I found the pin rather good at ploughing along the furrow of the straight panel lines.

120214-1C.jpg

Beauty, cheers Vic!
Have an old Hasegawa Draken that shares a similar tale with your 'Maachi. Tried to spray an Austrian Milennium scheme with Tamiya sprays and screwed up.
Managed to clean off most of the the paint pretty much as you did, and used a pin and craftknife fo the panel lines.
Left unfinished, will clean her up properly soon after seeing your work here...

STA51490.JPG

STA51491.JPG

Nice to hear Even. For the hard bits that the soaped wet and dry would not reach I have to confess that the surgical blade was useful in scraping out the stubborn bits.

Thanks for the support folks. After a rather inept day yesterday, just couldn't get in the mood to model but today decided to tackle the masking of the Aermacchi. My dilemma has been the white decals which if placed over the dark of the main midnight blue, it would depending on the quality of the white decal, possibly dull the white. A white on blue test of the decals provided this to be so though the loss of bright white was quite noticeable.

This is what has prompted me to try and spray a white background for the main decals so that I can mask of the area before applying the midnight blue.

I have been racking my brains on how to do this accurately initially thinking a freehand spraying of the colours and not use the decals but this was disastrous as evident in earlier posts.

But today I had what I consider a flash of brilliance. I will use the decal but first a quick spray with a white colour where the main decals will go and over this somehow secure a template of the decals so that I can spray away with the dark colour.

Here is how I have approached it starting with the decal sheet.

120220-1A.jpg

Trace the outline of the main decals and place the tracing over a sheet of reasonably stiff paper. Here I have already started cutting the tracings and the paper out .

120220-1B.jpg

One of the cut templates made from the tracing.

120220-1C.jpg

Next I took a strip of masking tape and placed it sticky side down and then took the template and placed it over the tape secured by a smear of UHU. I then cut out the template shape from the masking tape.

120220-1D.jpg

The shaped masking was then stuck to the model in the area where the multi coloured decal will sit.

120220-1E.jpg

Using this method for the main decals, the model was masked off ready for the midnight blue to be applied. With luck all will work well and when the mask is removed the white area should be just the right size to accommodate the decals. For those wondering why the blue tape, this along with the belly tape will be removed and once the blue is masked, sprayed with aluminium.

120220-1F.jpg

120220-1G.jpg

HOPE IT WORKS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back