Aermacchi MB 339A Pan 1/48 scale

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Vic Balshaw

Major General
Jul 20, 2009
Canberra
As a gap filler before seriously getting stuck into the next GB I once turned to the stash. What I picked out was this MB 339A. It is a Frems kit and though I have scoured the net I have not seen any other kits from the company. As a kit it is neat and very well moulded with practically no adjustments or trimming needed to the parts.

The cockpit hasn't much detail in it and looking at what information I could find, neither does the real thing. I was not happy with the instrument panels, 6 pieces in all for the two panels, one being a duplicate of the other when in reality, the front differs considerably to the rear. So I dug deep into the pocket and purchased an Eduard PE set which is sadly one of the older non coloured type, so I had a bit of work in front of me.

Anyway, what follows is where I'm up to.

Box cover.

120124-1A.jpg

Some of the bits out and initial painting started. I should say at this stage I had not decided on the PE set.

120124-1B.jpg

The original ejector seat on right and the start of modifications from the spares box on left. Then the progress on the ejectors up to today.

120124-2A.jpg

120124-2B.jpg

120124-2C.jpg

Modifications to the cockpit, mainly to accommodate the modified ejector and as you can see, preparation for PE parts.

120124-3A.jpg

120124-3B.jpg

The aircraft has pull out panels for the steps, again a PE modification.

120124-4A.jpg

120124-4B.jpg

The PE instrument panels and side panels almost ready for fixing.

120124-5A.jpg

120124-5B.jpg

Last edited:
My thought was to do so Terry as it's decaled for it but I'm thinking I'll spray on the tri-colouring rather than fiddle with decal stripes.

Thanks for the interest guys.

Not a great deal to show, it's all in one piece now and has since been prepped for some spraying. The initial colour will be white and then we start masking detail for the tri-colour, that should be fun.

120130-1A.jpg

120130-1B.jpg

120130-1C.jpg

Thanks guys. Nothing much else to report at the moment, have sprayed on a couple of coats of flat white with rubbing back in between and did a couple of light coats of gloss white today. Noticed tonight still need to rub back a couple of places before applying more gloss white tomorrow. Slow progress at this stage.

Having got the white coat sorted I tackled the masking and started the tri-colour painting. On my first attempt the green and red cheat lines were too thin. I did a bit of adjustment and unfortunately botched things up somewhat. The lines looked nothing like I'd expected and I'd also got quite substantial colour bleed onto the white. Not a good look.

Here I've decided to strip back the cheat lines trying to get rid of the paint ridge on the edge of the colours.

120213-1A.jpg

This completed I again put the kit under the spray gun trying to overspray the colours. Not a good move.

120213-1B.jpg

This just showed the thickness of the paint used for the cheat lines which again I started to sand back.

120213-1C.jpg

I then took a short break down the coast for a few days and on my return decided that the only course open to me apart from ditching the project, was to strip the whole thing back and start again. Here I'm using wet and dry with plenty of water and soap.

120213-1D.jpg

Not a good look but the paint has gone from one side and it's certainly highlighted the panel lines.

120213-1E.jpg

More wet and dry work before cleaning out the panel lines and the with templates of the colour markings I'll again spray just these areas and then take it from there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back