Air Show 2013: "Lightning Strikes Chino".

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hell yeah, I'll be there. But if offered a media pass this year, I am going to decline. The media pit last year was overcrowded and in a bad spot. I have a better chance of quality shots along the normal crowd line.

Hell yeah, I'll be there. But if offered a media pass this year, I am going to decline. The media pit last year was overcrowded and in a bad spot. I have a better chance of quality shots along the normal crowd line.

If I read the notice correctly, if you pay a premium price for the entrance fee, you get restricted access pass to the fight line in the morning. Meaning you will have the chance for some great shots without people getting in the way.

If I read the notice correctly, if you pay a premium price for the entrance fee, you get restricted access pass to the fight line in the morning. Meaning you will have the chance for some great shots without people getting in the way.

No, that was the sunrise photo pass. I have done that, but it's a crap shoot whether or not you get clear weather for it. A couple of years ago it was foggy and cold. I got maybe 2 shots that were great, the rest were just generic/boring. It is a chance to get static shots with less people, if that is what you are shooting.

I had a media pass last year, which gave me access to the media pit, which has been better in the past. Last year was cramped, in a corner and had limited visibility. It was next to the VIP area, which had a great view. The media pit was like an afterthought, "just stuff them in that corner". I would have gotten better shots down the line, to be honest. I'm not complaining, I just think the media at the show could be given a little better setup considering that Chino is THE show on the west coast for warbirds. At other shows last year, media was treated well with VIP parking, good access and in some cases we were given water and shade (one show even fed us!)

I understand there is a big media demand for Chino, and I am okay with that. I just think the media pit last year was crap, and hardly worth the effort of getting a media pass.

Let me clarify that a bit. My point was not to bash the Chino airshow or it's staff. It is a fantastic show that is well organized. My only beef last year was where the media pit was set up. For media, you want to place them in the best possible place to get killer shots that appear in print and web media. The placement last year was sub-optimal and over-crowded.

:wave: for May

The first Saturday of May is going to be their annual airshow. There are going to be SIX P-38's at this years airshow, 5 of them flyable.
232403.jpg

Come see us on May 03, 04 and 05 for

"Lightning Strikes Chino!"

This is a rare opportunity to see these magnificent aircraft not only up close on the flight line, but in the air, performing for you on May 4 5. We will have the following P-38s: 'Glacier Girl', 'Honey Bunny', 'Tangerine', 'Thoughts of Midnight' and Planes of Fame's own '23 Skidoo'. Our sixth P-38 is a static exhibit from Yanks Air Museum, it is a rare photo recon configuration. So be sure to come to the airshow this year to see this rare and fantastic gathering of six P-38 Lightnings. "Lightning Strikes Chino!!"
Source: PLANES OF FAME - Latest News

Airshow Preview Event - May 03, 2013
232404.jpg
232405.jpg

On Friday, May 3rd, Planes of Fame Air Museum will have a special 'Airshow 2013 Preview' event. The only way to be a part of this '2013 Airshow Preview' event is to visit Planes of Fame Air Museum. Visitors Planes of Fame Air Museum members can come to the museum during normal museum hours on Friday May 3rd and, after entering the museum, take a tram to the ramp to view arriving aircraft and practice sessions. The first practice session will be from 1:00-2:30PM and the second practice session from 3:00-4:00PM. Museum Members are admitted without charge as usual and visitors pay regular museum entrance fees. Planes of Fame Air Museum Members can then come to Airshow on either Saturday or Sunday without charge to enjoy the entire performance.
Source: PLANES OF FAME - _script-page-events

Planes of Fame Air Show 2013 - May 4 5

• 8:00 Gates Open Static Displays tours of warbirds
  • 9:30 - 10:30 Veterans Panel Held at Announcer Stand
  • 11:00-11:10 Air Show Opens National Anthem, Missing Man Fly-Over
  • 11:10-11:25 Silver Wings Wingwalking Margi Stivers Hartley Folstad perform with their 450 Stearman Biplane
  • 11:25-11:35 Rob Harrison Aerobatics Aerobatic Performance by the Rob Harrison, "Tumbling Bear" in his Zlin 50LX
  • 11:35-12:00 Pacific Air Battle F4F, F6F, F7F, F8F, F4U, PBY, J2F, SBD, TBM, Val, Zero
  • 12:00-12:20 Intermission
  • 12:20-12:50 Korean Air Battle F-86, MIG-15, T-33, T-6, P-51, F4U, AD-1, Sea Fury
  • 12:50-1:10 Sean Tucker Aerobatics Performs in his Team Oracle Challenger II Biplane
  • 1:10-1:20 Heritage Flight Two Lockheed P-38 Lightnings
  • 1:20-1:50 European Fighters P-40, P-51, P-47, FW-190, Spitfire, Yak-3, P-63
  • 1:50-2:00 Dennis Sanders Sea Fury Aerobatics
  • 2:00-2:20 B-25 Bombers/C-47s Three B-25s and three C-47s Flybys
  • 2:20-2:45 P-38 Lightning Formation Demo Flybys of five P-38 Lightnings!
  • 2:45-2:55 Steve Hinton P-38 Lightning Aerobatic Demonstration
  • 2:55-3:10 Clay Lacy Learjet Aerobatic Demonstration
  • 3:10-3:20 Ron Hackworth N9M Flying Wing
  • 3:20-3:40 John Collver T-6 "War Dog" Aerobatics
  • 4:00 End of Air Show Thank you for coming!
  • 4:35 Chino Airport Resumes Normal Operations

Planes of Fame Events Calendar: PLANES OF FAME - Events Calendar
2013 Schedule of Events: PLANES OF FAME - 2013 Schedule of Events

WHEN: Friday, Saturday Sunday, May 03, 04, 05, 2013

WHERE: Planes of Fame Air Museum, 7000 Merrill Avenue #17, Chino, CA 91710

WHY: It is the Mission of Planes of Fame Air Museum to preserve aviation history, inspire interest in aviation, educate the public, and honor aviation pioneers and veterans. The Museum sponsors regular events in the form of inspirational experiences, educational presentations, flight demonstrations, and airshows in fulfillment of this mission.

Planes of Fame Air Museum, 'Where Warbirds Fly and Aviation History Lives'

----------------------------------------------------------------

Looking forward to seeing you there. :)

Wheels

At other shows last year, media was treated well with VIP parking, good access and in some cases we were given water and shade (one show even fed us!)

Sounds like what our Company gets for us at the local Airshow here ever year. We have a private Chalet with food catering, beer, softdrinks and water. VIP Parking and the best thing, we don't pay a thing.

As for Chino. It is something that I really want to do someday, just need to find more time in the world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back