Airborne Forces (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

stona

Major
Mar 28, 2009
I found this charming but unremarkable little note whilst sorting my late mother's personal effects a little while ago. It was written by my grand father Sgt. Jack Shales around mum's 11th birthday in 1943. My mother always said that he had trained many of the men lost at Arnhem during "Market Garden" and that this had affected him very badly. This note seems to back this up. Does anyone have any idea where I might find more information on the early days of the airborne school or know any books I might look out for? This is outside my normal sphere of interest but interested I am.

JackShalesletter.gif

Thanks for any help.
Cheers
Steve

Hi Steve. The address shown on the letter appears to be the Army Post Office address, the type still used, for example, for our Forces overseas, as a BFPO number.
Far as I know, there was a training camp near Chesterfield during WW2, with all parachute training being done at No1 PTS, then at Ringway (Manchester Airport), and the hangar used is still there. The DZ was at Tatton Park, Knutsford, Cheshire, and there is a stone memorial there today. Until the late 1980's, a large 'show' and commerative drops were undertaken at the Park on Airborne Forces Day each yesr, and i managed a couple of jumps there myself. This has since stopped, due to traffic in and out of Manchester Internatioasl Airport, whose flight path is right over the Park!
The book 'The Red Beret' gives a reasonable account of the formation and early days of the Parachute Regiment, and Airborne Forces in general. I haven't got it to hand, but if you'd like details of it, PM me and I'll sort it.
Terry.

Thanks very much Terry. I'm very busy at work at the moment but the search is on! I've got a lot more stuff to go through but the material relating to my grandfather is of particular interest,as I know little about it. As is so often the case neither he nor my mother spoke much about it.
I remember him well,though he died when I was fairly young.
Cheers
Steve

Thanks very much Terry. I'm very busy at work at the moment but the search is on! I've got a lot more stuff to go through but the material relating to my grandfather is of particular interest,as I know little about it. As is so often the case neither he nor my mother spoke much about it.
I remember him well,though he died when I was fairly young.
Cheers
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back