Airbrush Questions. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Oh... now I understand. The second question wasn't seen by me at all.I think it is my IE fault.

For the Panzer Grau colour you have the paint equivalents in #10.

And the second one....I'm sure it is a kind of mixture of red and brown paints.But it can be a rust paint too.Also it could be the later German brown RAL 8012. I think it doesn't matter because if it would have been the imitation of a mud .....it is wrong totally.This is an example of the bad made weathering.

Panzer Grau Q: I am wondering if I went to a store because I want to paint my truck the Panzer Grau Color, what would the color be listed as? Panzer Grau or another name? If I still confuse you, i'm terribly sorry!

Okay nevermind hehehe.

Most likely my final question of the day before I'm off to explore Norht Carolina is what is a good imitation of mud for tires? And what do you mean by the equivalents? Lke if I'm going to a store would it be listed under the name Panzer Grau paint or something else?

Last edited:
It's OK.... Humbrol named the colour Satin US Dark Grey or Satin Dark Sea Grey, MadelMaster's name - Gunship Grey or Schwarzgrau and Tamiya - Dark Grey. All paints should be semi-gloss.Asking about them in a shop you need to know the name of firm and the paint number.Or you can use the Federal Standard ( FS) numbers or RAL ones.There should be lists of these paints and a salesman should know them.

Equivalent means that something can be used as the thing you need.

Concerning the mud ..I have seen a few ways but which one could be good. I don't know really.There is offered a mud for modellers It is offered by MIG firm.

Last edited:
For the size of 1/72 Vehicles brush painting is the easiest way. Thinning the paint will give you some great results. Not to mention weathering and general detail will also lift the model.

True that mate ,after seeing my first 1/72 tank yesterday (Thanks to a good mate in Aussi ;)) airbrushing is out of the question -brush painting all the way!

I'm sort of looking at the fifth picture in the ones I put up as my finished pictures.

Also, MIG look great but a lot of Components, A 40 dollar kit that includes, 4 Pigments and Acrylic Resin. Then I have to buy Paris, Static Grass and get dirt from my yard. In total near..........55-60 dollars. Tamiya's kits are 10 dollars and uses a brush and different colors any opinions?? Thanks

Last edited:
Black for the Tires. But then again I may put Mud on it..... :/. Also, the bed of the truck should that be Gunship Gray also?

Last edited:
Tyres ( tires) colour......of course you can paint them black.And it is the nice colour for them. But later when the black paint is dried use the dry brush technique and make the tire edges slightly lighter with mid grey colour for instance.The next step is to add a wash of some black/brown/sand very thinned mixture as the dirt in that way the mixture can gather in all chinks of these tires.Then the next step can be applying the very diluted light grey paint as the dust imitation.Do it on tire sides where the dust gathers easily.Then you can add the mud if it is really needed.

The truck bed... do you mean the one in the cab? If yes I think it was made of leather, so it should be brown rather.I think all these additional infos on the detail painting you will find in the model kit manual.

Which method....I don't know.As a modeller of an old modelling school I prefer making a such things by myself to buying something I can make by my hand.

Alright. I think the mud by MIG looks nice and wanted to try it. Sorry if I'm a bother. Seeing it's not going to be in a diorama I'm not sure if mud would be a good investment.? Well I guess I can always weather a model that isn't going to be used. By the bed I meant where the supplies goes and what not. Thanks again for all your help!

The truck but was covered with wooden boards. Of course there were always made some damages to the area by soldiers and supplies or equipment moving that could change the tonality of a paint. But the basic colour was the same like for the rest parts of a truck. So yes..it should

Waiting for a few pics.Feel free to ask....if you need something else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back