Airbrush Questions.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Attachments

• Opel BLitz MINE.jpg
    Opel BLitz MINE.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
With Pictures I'll try because I have a 5 year old Dell computer that has no memory so I WILL take pictures just not sure if getting them up will be easy :(.

Also, what color is the Dark yellow listed as in stores? Dark Yellow or another name?

In my post #10 I have listed the sand-yellow paint.The one was the Wehrmacht Olive - Humbrol name Matt Mid Stone, Tamiya name - Dark Yellow.But for the trucks used in North Africa the colour was the Afrika Korps Gelb - RAL 8000 - FS33275 - Humbrol 26 ( Matt Khaki ) - Tamiy XF-49 ( Khaki ).From March 1942 the colour was Gelb Brun RAL 8020 - FS30257 - Humbrol 94 ( Matt Brown Yellow ) - Tamiya XF-59 ( Desert Yellow)

Concerning the model you sent pics of.It looks nice but it is an example of not too good work.The first mistake is the truck but canvas. It is looking as a piece of a thick blanket with roughed hair.For a such kind of canvas coverig should be used a thin tissue. Another one is the rust.There is planty of it on all around the car.Simply it looks like very very old truck abandoned somewhere on a desert.If you look at other pictures of vehicles used on a desert you will find that the weathering with the black diluted paint is slightly exaggerated too.Also the windshield with the dust on it.In most shots it can be seen that the sand dust gathered only on the glass where the windshield wiper(s) didn't wipe.To sum up all effects on the truck arent in its scale, I think you understand what I'm talking about.These are too oversized.
Of course there are effects a like.Tyres....I like the tire colour.This one is of the correct tonality for these used on a desert.
Another one is the way of the paint chafes and flakes.They are looking very realistic.

BTW The Blitz was used by Africa Corps judging by the army emeblem on the truck door.

Last edited:
Okay thanks for the information. I really like the paint chipping too. Is that pastels used to make that effect? Also, if you are familiar with Testors paint what would the Dark Yellow be called there? I will probably leave the truck open so now canvas on top. Plus it didn't come with a plastic mould either.

No, the name of the paint for Testors is Panzer Dunkelgelb 1943 and is of the number 2095. Also for Model Master paints the name and the number are the same.

One thing with the tyres you could get a dark grey happening and even add a hint of red. Tyres are never really black always a dusty grey with even the slightest purple tinge to them.

Thanks!Heinz

Wurger the paint chipping in the picture I posted do you think it was made by pastels?

I think you are right Alex but you are talking about contemporary ones.In the past one of the main "ingredients" of rubber for tyres was a lampblack (soot) what made these quite black.Today the composition of tyre rubber is a little bit different.

Wurger the paint chipping in the picture I posted do you think it was made by pastels?

No I don't.I think the modeller used the Panzer Grau colour with the rusty one in addition. You have to know that most of AK vehicles and those of early production were repainted with the Wehrmacht Olive paint.So under the new colour there was the old one.Also it could be a colour of a primer.

Last edited:
Now should I just paint all the parts before I assemble the truck? and the shovel and axe on the hood of the truck if I do weathering should they be on already? Or wait to attach them?

I think it is up to you only which way of assembling you will pick out.Usually there isn't much pieces in 1/72 scale kits.
Personally I paint all small parts separately.The main frame is painted as a whole.For insatnce the fuselage , wings and tail surfaces are put togeter and painted.A cockpit conopy, main landing gear , a spinner and prop are attached at the end.

It is quite natural I think but the sequence of assembling can be determined by a kit manual that is always included to a kit.

You're right. I think the smaller parts will be hard to paint once the model is built. I have an 8 hour car drive today and when I get back to my house in New Jersey I will check what paints I have and based on the I can see if I can start painting the interior of the cab for my truck. I mixed like red, black, and other colors and got this really nice brown color which I can use for the seats of the trucks cab.

Some good pictures to help me weather the model accordingly

Attachments

• Opel.jpg
    Opel.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 56
  • Opel 1.jpg
    Opel 1.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 68
  • Opel 3.jpg
    Opel 3.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 60
  • Opel 4.jpg
    Opel 4.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 48
You know, It's beginning to cross my mind now. If I get the MIG mud it would look really nice. It won't be for sometime though because I may get more Models like the Stug III and an Opel Blitz Medical Truck. What are your thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back