Airbrushing

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Negative Creep

Staff Sergeant
Apr 1, 2007
New Zealand
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hi mate !!!
I think this set can be good for general modeling work.However,the airbrush is also available with 2mm nozzle in diameter,but if the 3mm nozzle is enough for you this airbrush is acceptable.As far as the compressor is concerned,it looks like the one with a piston to make pressure but not with a membrane.A compressor with a piston is better that the one with a membrane for giving stable pressure and it can work longer.Of course it depends on a making quality of a compressor too.The technical datas of thie compressor seem to be O.K.Air pressure 30psi seems to be enough for the airbrush and all acrylic paints but for oil enamels I'm not sure.You can finally make that kind of enamels much more diluted.:)
The cost of this is in pounds so I cannot say anymore about it 'cos there are different prices in Poland.But the price seems to be high indeed.

Thanks for the advice. I never use enamel paints anyway, as I'm allergic to the cleaning agents. All the compressors I've seen in the shops are £100+, so this is pretty cheap!

Hi !!!
Ah,I've almost forgotten about your allergy.:oops: So the compressor can be O.K.
But I forgot to draw your attention to its boosting - VOLTAGE 240 VOLTS (PLUG INCLUDED ).Won't you have any problems with this?

BTW. There is a similar compressor in my friend's shop.The difference is in the air pressure.It gives a bit smaller one.Its cost is about 64 GBP.

Not only you.In The USA is 110V isn't it?
In Russia, for instance, the railways have a different gauge. :lol:

We have a great mix here; 3 pin plugs, 50mHZ TV's, metric weights and measures, imperial road signs, right hand drive cars. Plus when the railways first started out, we had both narrow and broad gauge rails for quite some time

All because we weren't invaded by Napoleon!

Negative Creep

You can try a company called "Dick Blick" for airbrushes and compressors. 30 to 40lbs compression is fine for modeling or art work. I have a Badger compressor that I have used for over 10 years. It cost me $150. You can get the same compressor from Harbor Freight for $39.00

I don't even use it anymore. I have a couple contractor compressors, the small one is a Delta and puts out up to 90psi, but it will adjust down to 10 psi. It also has a 1.5 gallon tank so its not going on and off a lot.

Hey N.C. How 're you doing? My modeling expertise is a little rusty but I've used both Badgers and a Paache (?) with my Badger compressor which when I bought it new was only $70.00 (USD). That dated it didn't it? Anyway I found that with an air tank and a moisture trap (I made my trap using a small glass jar, some brass tubing and a paper towel) and an air valve on top of the tank output line I got a nice steady, dry air flow that I could regulate down to a whisper. I did a Storch with wavy band camo and it turned out really nice. I hope that's some help?

Hey NC what's the latest? Did you buy that air compressor. What kind of airbrush did you get? Wurger: I'm glad you like the air trap idea. I can't take credit for the idea though, a friend of mine way back when told me about it and showed me how he did it.

I forgot to mention that I brought it last payday; the results can be seen in the 'Post your Models' thread. It's actually a really good bit of kit, feels very strong and good value for money. I haven't managed to do fine lines as of yet as the pressure doesn't seem to be adjustable, always going to 60 psi. Haven't managed anything intricate yet, I'm not sure if this is due to the nature of the airbrush, or (more likely) my inexperience

I haven't managed to do fine lines as of yet as the pressure doesn't seem to be adjustable, always going to 60 psi. Haven't managed anything intricate yet, I'm not sure if this is due to the nature of the airbrush, or (more likely) my inexperience

OK no problem with the air pressure. Here's the idea I used and it worked quite well. I took a propane tank like people use on their outdoor grills( I don't know if you have the same type in Britain, the one I have was actually tested to 125PSI). I had three connections. One- was for input air from my compressor, two- output with an air valve to regulate pressure to my moisture trap and airbrush, three- a pressure indicator to tell me "tank" pressure. You could install an output pressure indicator on the number two connection also. I don't use one on mine, I'm accustom to it and I just go by feel sound. I did an FI-156 Storch several years ago and did a wavy band camo finish and I must have spent three or four hours just trying to get the feel for the line width and pattern. It really was fun but a challenge too. I hope this suggestion helps you. Good Luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back