Aircraft Identification V

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nice model. if bizarre.

Here's another piccy. How hard do we want them as I can't help feeling that mine are all really easy?

Gentlemen, nice job on the CA-23.

How hard do we want them as I can't help feeling that mine are all really easy?

I don't think it matters Wayne. Toss whatever you find of interest in. At the moment NOTHING seems to be hard for the current players...

I'll 'toss' two in for tonight...

Graeme, you never stop surprising me with so amazing and challenging airplanes to identify. I can assure you it´s first time I´ve seen these two, and I´m afraid I´ll pass all weekend with these two in mind in spite of family, friends, cycling, even Spanish team playing football against Sweden in european championship. Thanks again, Graeme!!!

vultee BT13

Too good Patoruzu! I tried to find a photo obscuring the tail. Actually I thought the cowling and undercarriage would also give it a away.

It's a BT-13A owned by famed aviation author Bill Larkins. It was "reverted" to a skywriter role in 1964 by squaring off and blunting the wingtips, shrouding the exhaust and 'reducing' the cockpit. It's from an old issue of Airpower showing some odd renovations made to postwar Valiants.

Crop duster version...

The amphibian with the rear pylon mounted engines, is Australian. I'm not sure if it's covered on the Internet.

Yours are even too obscure for me graeme! Keep em coming though, maybe I'll get one eventually.

Anyone want to have a go at this?

This one is a bit different, its a sort of WW2 UCAV pictured with its bomb, but what is it?

Also, I know this is outside the scope of the thread, but isn't this strangely cute?

Hi Wayne!

I enjoy your mock-up images. Where do they all come from?

Found this the other day...

That's General Eisenhower hunkered down in an aircraft, just before a flight. The date is June 4 1944. The flight took him on a "fast" tour of the Normandy beaches.

What's the aircraft?

(Something I didn't know was that Eisenhower and Patton were both licensed private pilots).

Edit: Whoops, just saw your post above-will need to look into that one further!

but what is it?

Can't find any photos on the internet, but how about the Miles Hoop-la...?

[1.0] The Aerial Torpedo

"Miles Aircraft of the UK proposed an aerial torpedo they called the "Hoop-la", and constructed a mockup. The Hoop-la was a neat little high-wing aircraft built around a 450 kilogram (1,000 pound) bomb, featuring a Gipsy Major air-cooled four-cylinder inline engine, a wingspan of 4.3 meters (14 feet), and an estimated speed of over 480 KPH (300 MPH)."

(Thanks for the CA-23 update, Wingnut)

Yes thats it, the Miles hoop la, the picture is the only one I've ever seen and it is from a postwar issue of Flight magazine which I inherited in a binder, my pictures are all from random sources, but 90% are scans from books or magazines, my 'office' looks like a paper warehouse

Working on the Ike picture, I've an inkling its an observation type likr a Stinson or a Taylorcraft but I'm not sure

With the metal fuselage, side-hinged canopy and "fast" clue I'd go for a modified P-51B (or A-36).

Nicely done Gary! Ike is sitting in a modified P-51B. The accommodation was made available by removing the 85 gallon fuselage tank from behind the pilot. The article mentions that General Marshall tore strips off him for making the flight.

I expect a quick answer Wayne...

It would have been quick, if I had been looking. One of my all time faves, but then it is a Hawker.
I'm just reloading my images onto a brand new pp which is driving me nuts (Vista, HA!!) and I had forgotten all about a load of them shoved onto a 10 year old hard drive and then forgotten, these might be interesting to look at, first one;

In Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Indiana it attacked by 2 German fighters.

What are they? They look like early bf109's, but not really. Are they just made-up generic fighters? I also posted this in the Movie Aircraft thread.

Users who are viewing this thread