Aircraft Identification V

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

True. Especially when you know the people. I'm impressed.

OK the, here's another one. This time a man, not a machine:

[URL=http://imageshack.us]
[/URL]

A few hints?

Born in Cheshire, died in London aged 98. Got a Military Cross (for taking pictures) and an Academy Award, was both an ace and a writer.

Nothing yet? Okay, another hint: He flew in China too and one of his books was the main inspiration for a movie with Malcolm McDowall.

Krabat

I read that the Mossi they used as a test bed was originally interned during the war.

Yeah, I was hoping that the Mossie would infer "British" and throw you off the scent! So much for that!

Test pilot for Hawker? or are you also playing tricks!

I was hoping that the Mossie would infer "British" and throw you off the scent!

It did. Though I found that the swiss interred a Mossi and used it as a testbed, from there it was a short hop.

And yes, the man was test pilot for Hawker but he also flew Thunderbolts, Beaufighters and other types in WW2. In December 1961 he ejected from a then new type of aircraft in which he also did a lot of the initial testing. He's an OBE too. That should be enough.

Krabat

That should be enough.

Actually it wasn't Krabat. My searches eventually reduced me to looking for a Hawker test pilot...with a "dimpled" chin! But I think I found him...

Do you know what the aircraft is in your photo, with "Hawker" on the tail?
I was initially obsessed with Beamont and Duke and thought that the "1961 ejection" must have been from the English Electric Lightning. Considering Bedford, it must have been the P.1127/Kestral?

Good work Graeme, a tough one. I owe you an "Ehringsdorfer" if we meet one day.

Yes, Bedford is the right one but I don't know what aircraft is in the picture. I found it here:

Test Research Pilots, Aircraft Engineers

A lot of interesting people there. Like this one:

[URL=http://imageshack.us]
[/URL]

From Greg Goebel's website is the following text about the P1127 and Bedford's ejection:

"* The second prototype, XP836, broke Mach 1.2 in a dive in early December 1961, but it was lost a few days later, on 14 December, when one of its air intakes came loose in flight, Bill Bedford ejecting safely. Despite this setback, by this time the promise of the type was so evident that the month before, in early November, the MoS had ordered four more P.1127s, which would emerge with the serial numbers "XP972", "XP976", "XP980", and "XP984", in that order of delivery."

Oh, and by the way. In "the other" thread you posted scans of articles about Brown, the Tigercat, Hornet and the Corsair. Could you send me the complete articles by mail? I'd like to read what he said about these types. Thanks in advance.

Krabat

Here is an odd sight I stumbled across, so I'd thought I'd stick the image up here for you lot to play with, and for bonus points whats behind it?;

Do you know what the aircraft is in your photo, with "Hawker" on the tail?
My guess is a Tomtit, but I'm open to correction as I thought the 'civvie' Tomtit owned by Hawkers was G-AFTA, the one in the Shuttleworth Collection.

PS. Wrong, it's a Hart/Hind/Audax sort of thing. Most likely a Hind as Hawkers owned one alongside the Tomtit and a Hurricane. A Hind still flys from Old Warden, along with the Tomtit. I saw both of them there about 10 years or so ago.
They were superb..........

Thanks in advance.

Not a problem! In the mail this week.

PS. Wrong, it's a Hart/Hind/Audax sort of thing.

Hi RD. I was thinking a Hart II (Kestrel) Registration G-ABMR.

Here is an odd sight I stumbled across, so I'd thought I'd stick the image up here for you lot to play with, and for bonus points whats behind it?

Hi Wayne. "Stumbled across" as in Britain or on the internet? I thought Britannia or Hermes as well, but the short distance from the nose to wing root looks odd. Considering what looks like a MiG-23/25 in the background, maybe a Soviet theme to the photo? Tupolev-124?

Hi Graeme, not on the internet, no. its a photo I took myself here in the UK. full marks for the MiG 23. You are in the right era for the fuselage, would it help if I told you that production of this aircraft never reached double figures, nor was it only a prototype? That is why I snapped such a tatty fuselage when I saw it.

Users who are viewing this thread