Aircraft Identification V

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yup, definitely looks like it. The R.A.F. version is the Embraer-designed Tucano, built under licence by Shorts of Belfast. I believe the others, Pilatus et al, are also licenced from Embraer. What appears to be two fins I think is light reflecting off the fuselage, plus the ventral fin. A very nice aircraft, BTW.

The Texan II is a USA tailored Pilatus built by Raytheon winner of the Jpats.
The aussie one is also a pilatus.
But they have nothing in common with the British Tucanoes or the Brasilian ones. The Tucano was also a contender of the Jpats.

Thanks for that. I think I read that Embraer had bought some design data from Pilatus, that led to the Tucano; the same reading indicated that the RAF (or MoD Procurement) had originally looked at the Pilatus, but could get a better deal via Emraer's licencing. Apparently, the first two (?) aircraft were supplied by Embraer, for evaluation etc., back in the seventies. However, it's quite some time since I saw this info, so I could very well be wrong!

The whole trainer procurement project for the RAAF was a nightmare.... originally the RAAF wanted a locally designed side by trainer, the CT4 Wamira. Due to cost over runs, mainly caused by the RAAF that kept changing the requirements and the project was dumped.... it became a choice between the Turcano, PC7 and PC9... the PC9 won

I was working for CAC at the time as an QA Inspector and I was also the unofficial company cartoonist. The project problems provided me with lots of cartoon material, kept me busy for months.... :lol:

..... and plenty of friction with the higher ups :shock:

AAC Wamira - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Attachments

• trainer_.jpg
    trainer_.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 122
Looks like a similar thing happened then. Apparently, the RAF ( or more correctly, MoD) also had conflicts between home-grown designs, the PC9 and the Tucano; the latter, as you know, won the day. I have heard though, that the final decision, apart from costs, also had something to do with the political situation re Northern Ireland, and Shorts of Belfast got the contract.
Done a bit of checking since the last posr. It seems that Pilatus were influenced by design features of the Brazilian Tucano, which led, in part, to development of the PC9 over the PC7.
Overall, though, it is remarkable how similar these aircraft look. The British contender, the Firecracker, also looked very similar. Put the Pilatus, Tucano and Firecracker alongside each other, in RAF trainer colours, and they'd look almost the same! Like your bit about the cartoons!
Terry.

The Wamira was also a contender for the RAF requirement, though the MoD requested that AAC design a tandem seat version just for us, wooo.

Hmmm, the first thing it brings to mind for me is the North American AJ-1 Savage, but in such poor shape its hard to say (oh, and you have mail if you didn't already see it)

Ha scrub that answer, it suddenly looks like the Vought Pirate instead

"ike your bit about the cartoons!"
Terry.[/QUOTE]

I don't actually have a Wamira cartoon handy but this is a sample of what I used to do.... see if anyone can identify the aircraft... it may be just a cartoon but drew if from the actual aircraft and I tried to keep it accurate...

....anyway it should be easier than some of the photos posted here :lol:

Attachments

• HANGPLT4.JPG
    HANGPLT4.JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 114
Correct Kool Kitty, that particular one is now in the RAN Museum in Nowra NSW... :D

This was the follow-on cartoon, an example of a day in the life of the Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation in the 1980s

Attachments

• Troops2.jpg
    Troops2.jpg
    271.4 KB · Views: 132
Kool Kitty beat me to it with Wirraway! Great cartoons, think I'll print one off.
Now, this new one. I haven't a clue!

Looks like a small scale test plane for a bigger flying boat......French?.....otherwise a bit stuck

This latest puzzler looks like someone's added a glazed nose and two more engines to a Canberra, then stuck on a Viscount tail, after sticking on the wings of a B24!
Doubt I'd even come close with an answer!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back