Aircraft Identification V

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Er Vultee V-1? going by the nose/canopy,

Very close.

The guy who designed this plane had worked with Gerald Vultee on the V1, but it's much smaller ...

Owners included Jacqueline Cochrane and Paul Mantz. It was intended for Spain, but crashed while moving from aerodrome to aerodrome in Mexico to allude the FBI and anti-Spanish-Republican reporters.

You know Graeme, after the small scale one earlier I was waiting for this one to turn up, I even considered it myself :)

Heres one to have a go at;

scan-2-1.jpg

Thats the Armstrong Whitworth 168, would-be Buccaneer. I've always been struck by its apparent likeness to the A-6 Intruder in many respects.

Very good Wayne! Obviously you have a lot of knowledge on British Projects, so I was wondering about this one...you probably know about it.

Another Armstrong project (a serious one - despite the "Thunderbirds" look) for a supersonic transport.

According to the article the MoA placed a contract for five solid fuel rockets that were fitted with the "M" wing, in 1960. I'm under the impression that they flew? Do you have any more? Any photos/images? Can't find much on the internet.

I have some three view images, but no photo's I'm aware of. The one you posted is the P.13003, this evolved into the P22001 which was bigger and with a T-tail. AW weren't the only ones to try this comical layout though, there was also the mystriously named Vickers Project X which had fuel tanks where the AW's engines are and its own engines were built into the rear fuselage. It also lacked the 'sonic boom diffuser' nose probe that the AW designs had

Looks a bit like an Ar 96. The wing fence is interesting. (I know it was tested on the Bf 109 prototypes with fences in place of slats) But the 3-bladed prop seems a bit out of place.

The canopy and nose look like an Ar 96 though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back