Aircraft Identification V

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hey, well found! I guess you know the answer now then.It was the Vickers V.1000, XD662, photographed at the point of cancellation

I think you fobbed off your efforts on that forum Waynos. That was a great post. You should start a few threads like it here. In fact I tried to join it, but kept getting this...

"ERROR!
Your browser must be configured to accept cookies in order to create an account and log in to AboveTopSecret.com.
Please configure your web browser to accept cookies, then return here to try again to create your member account."

(What does it all mean?)

In your post you mentioned the Avro Atlantic. I've known about the Avro Atlantic for many years. It would be politically incorrect now, but I have an old British book, given to me many years ago, titled "The Boys Book of Aircraft" from around the early 50's. And from it..

It certainly would have looked "majestic". I like the spotters tips for a non-existent aircraft!
Anyway, moving on, heres another 'British subject' to identify...

Thank you Graeme, you're very kind. I am a bit in awe of the knowledge displayed by many of the members on this site and would feel a bit presumptious or preachy if I tried something like that on here. I did compose a light hearted post decrying the Defiant that you might like but this site has been running so long I'm sure I would be retreading over old ground. Even my last photo was a repeat it seems, which is hard to avoid for a newbie like me.

I love that scan, I adore old books like that, especially the ones that make predictions that never came true. I have some old Flights from 1939/40 (now available freely online to view anyway) which mention us having to make do with inferior American supplied aircraft in the early part of the war, one classic line is that the Douglas DB-7 is 'very nearly up to British standards however' - I'm sure Ed Heineman would be very grateful

There are also some excellent non existant German aircraft illustrated, including the 'deadly' Focke Wulf 198 twin boom pusher engined fighter, lol

Moving on to your photo, is it really British? It looks more French to me, like a Farman, but if it is British is it a Parnall?

Read that John Phillip Law, of "The Russians are Coming!" fame, died recently.

Didn't know that. That's sad. He was not bad as Richthofen in the old Roger Corman movie. And what great flying scenes. You just can't do that with computers. Is it that obvious that I don't like the new Red Baron movie?

Krabat

Moving on to your photo, is it really British? It looks more French to me, like a Farman, but if it is British is it a Parnall?

It's British, but not Parnall.

Named after a Yorkshire town.

Same name as this dog breed...

...and it had a very distinctive wing shape.

I don't know the historical side like you guys, but the fueslage plan is similar to the Fairey Gordon or Vickers Vildebeeste or Wellesley, so my guess would be one of those two companies.

The one thing I was certain of was that I had never seen this plane before, ever.

Then I found this, pages of info, full specs, the lot, but too late 'cos you've given us the answer

I have some pictures, they may be obvious, or they may not. They may even have appeared on here before. If that is so then I apologise as I am still new here. Here's the first.

Thanks! When I was in the airforce they retired the Safe Air fleet, and two were stored on the base (ZK-SAE and -SAF). SAF got scrapped (very sad to see...) but SAE was luckily saved by some locals and moved off-base.
We were able to get into SAF, and photographed her inside and out before they scrapped her. I still have the pics (and a door lock in NZ...)

Well done on the Sturgeon, it had the look of a useful fighter at first didn't it.

Here's a plane that has fascinated me for a long time. It is something very special but yet remains virtually unkown,

Users who are viewing this thread