Aircraft Identification V

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Could it be a preliminar draw for the Martin P5M-2 Marlin?
Don't know, but it's indeed a look very similar, tipical Martin's fashion to built big flying boats. :D

P.S.
There's something puzzles me about engines: in the text it's said are P&W R-2800 (that are radial engines) while the shape of nacelles seems to me better suited for in-line engines instead...

Last edited:
Hello gentlemen,
I don't want to create confusion but this is my today's challenge
carson1934

P.S. Sorry for the large image but I had to work around it a little bit to make it difficult to identify

Attachments

• 010003.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 73
I quite like this picture, is it any good for you?

scan0007-2.jpg

My God, Waynos, I have at least five pics of the AW52/G and never noticed the two small generator activating props stuck onto the legs of the landing gear. Typical british ingenuity.....
carson1934:o:o:eek:

Don't know, but it's indeed a look very similar, tipical Martin's fashion to built big flying boats. :D

P.S.
There's something puzzles me about engines: in the text it's said are P&W R-2800 (that are radial engines) while the shape of nacelles seems to me better suited for in-line engines instead...

Yes and the P5M1 had the more powerfull PW3300.
Could also be a twin engine proyect of the Shin Meiwa PS-1, the nose is more similar to the japanese plane then to the Martin.

Very good Brainstorm GRAEME.

The previous scan is from a 1960 book that talks about the Piaggio as though it had already flown. This scan is from Janes 57' which talks about the prototype being under construction but I've found very little on the internet except a site that mentions it in a Flight magazine of 1958. Safe to presume that it never flew?

The previous scan is from a 1960 book that talks about the Piaggio as though it had already flown. This scan is from Janes 57' which talks about the prototype being under construction but I've found very little on the internet except a site that mentions it in a Flight magazine of 1958. Safe to presume that it never flew?

I have a number of comprehensive editorials concerning Piaggio and its aircraft section but I never found in any of them any mention concerning this bird.
I think it is very safe to assume that it never flew and in the Flight magazine you mention (which I also read) there is a picture of a static model (not even a mock-up) in other words no more than a toy.
Of course I would be happy if evidence to the contrary could be produced.
carson1934

Thanks Patoruzu, very interesting infos, I never heard about such project from Piaggio.

It had become a real aircraft IMHO it might have been a noteworthy project, with a certain appeal for foreign market...

Cheers

Yes, it's the Dumbo :)

@Carson: sorry, I've no clue about that :rolleyes: even if I think it's an italian design.

Cheers
Yes Marcogrifo it is an italian design.
Agusta AG/3 manufactured in 1927 and powered by a 15HP Anzani engine. It should have been the starter of a series of light sport planes but the untimely death of Giovanni Agusta interrupted this plan.
carson1934

Users who are viewing this thread

Back