Aircraft Identification V

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

We cannot identify this plane. Can somebody ?
The photograph is from the enough old book. Signed that it is the plane shot down in September 1939 over the Polish sea-coast. But this is most clearly the misinformation.

I was thinking that this may be a Heinkel 119, but the 119 has a slightly cranked wing. I'm not seeing that in the picture. Hmmm.

http://www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/LRG/images/he119-3.jpg

The "beach" looks like a ramp used for sea planes. Right below the wing under the nose almost looks like a float or a spatted wheel. In the middle of the machine on the top looks like a MG mount. The fuselage looks square based on the cross. What really puzzles me is the tail-fin. Is it a duel tail-fin or has the tail-plane snapped upwards. It looks like it has the old 3 color camo scheme.

looks like the french version of a Pietenpol
Sean I have one under construction with a few modifications ford engine and 20% bigger for my size

The "beach" looks like a ramp used for sea planes. Right below the wing under the nose almost looks like a float or a spatted wheel. In the middle of the machine on the top looks like a MG mount. The fuselage looks square based on the cross. What really puzzles me is the tail-fin. Is it a duel tail-fin or has the tail-plane snapped upwards. It looks like it has the old 3 color camo scheme.
After the small brainstorm we suppose that this is BV 138.

It's not that and I can't find any sea plane that matches the tail fin. I beginning to wonder if the pic is authentic. The Cross and Swastika sure are brighter then the rest of the photo. It's also odd that all the markings can be clearly seen except for the 2 letters or numbers after the cross. I'm stumped.

The only thing that does not match is the tail-fin, but everything else looks like it could be (it never occurred to me that it could just be a piece of the aircraft). However, if this pic was taken during Sept 39, only a few prototypes of the aircraft were flying at the time. Production deliveries of the BV 138 did not occur until Jan 40 Combat Aircraft of WWII. They were used in the Invasion of Norway.

Rudder is wrong for a BV-138, even a piece. I think the rudder is a single and is just leaning against whats left of the tail.

Last edited:
And what about a propaganda picture?:?:
If my historic recollections are still bright Germany invaded Poland September 1st 1939 and at that time the bulk of the Luftwaffe attacking force was composed of Ju-87, He-111 and Me-109 which are all commonly seen.
The pictured aircraft seems to be very different from any of the a.m. types!
carson1934

While we are pondering on Marco's mystery plane, what about guessing this one?:
carson1934
Stop pondering, please :)

#4173 was the Waldo Waterman's experimental airplane:

...In the past, several attempts have been made by airplane designers to build airplanes with reduced response to turbulence. All of these attempts were characterized by an intuitive approach with no attempt at analysis prior to flight tests, and all were notably unsuccessful.

One of these airplanes (figure 13.1) was designed by Waldo Waterman. It had wings attached to the fuselage with skewed hinges and restrained by pneumatic struts that acted as springs. The effect of the skewed hinge was to reduce the angle of attack of the wing panels when they deflected upward, and vice versa. The response to gusts was not noticeably reduced from that of the airplane with the wings locked, probably because the dynamic response of the system was not suitable. Also, the degree of flexibility of the wings was limited because deflection of the ailerons would deflect the wings to oppose the aileron rolling moment, which resulted in reduced or reversed roll response...

More info here: Gust Alleviation

Cheers

Speaking of tandem wings what about this?:shock:
carson1934
rbk2rp.jpg

Albessard twin-monoplane, 1910

Edit: Pardon me, I see now it was already identified.

1910Albessard.jpg

Last edited:
Greetings All,
I am looking for a list of RAF WWII aircraft that used the Analog Air Position Indicator for lat/long navigation. Does anyone know where I can find this info?

Thanks.

good afternoon to everybody (or good morning whatever the case nay be)
I hope your Christmas was happy and enjoyable....now I have something to ponder on....this is a racer the problem is that it wasn't fast enough. What is it?
carson
4vl46p.jpg

Hello Carson and Feliz Navidad to all,

the sleek monoplane is the Czech racer Letov S-8, powered by a British 480-horsepower Napier Lion engine, but not fast enough to match contemporary racers.

Hello Carson and Feliz Navidad to all,

the sleek monoplane is the Czech racer Letov S-8, powered by a British 480-horsepower Napier Lion engine, but not fast enough to match contemporary racers.

How can you beat Emilio? that's what it is, a Letov S-8 from Czechoslovakia
carson

Users who are viewing this thread

Back