Aircraft Nickname Origins

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The British Air Ministry had an established rule that all twin engined bombers were to named 'after towns with historical associations in the British Empire'. They bent the rule a little with the Hampden, because they wanted a more aggressive name for the type, and decided the town worthy 'because of it's association with the outstanding seventeenth century defender of civil liberty of the same name'.

I'd just like to point out that Woodford, the main assembly plant and airfield for Manchester and Lancaster production, is in Cheshire, not Lancashire. However, A.V Roe lived in Lancashire, not far from what is possibly the World's oldest surviving airfield still in use as it originally was (Barton, near Manchester), and Manchester was/is the nearest city to Woodford, plus the fact that the main Lancaster factories were at Newton Heath, Manchester, and Chadderton , Lancashire.

Accuracy is a wonderful thing, I should try it sometime :D

With the above and with the Spitfire I was guilty of oversimplifiying the facts to get the point across, both corrections are absolutely spot on, of course.

Note to self = be more careful in future :)

He He. It's only 'cos I live four miles from BAe Woodford, and they used to be one of my clients. Darn shame the place is due to close next year.

So, how about possible names for aircraft that didn't quite make it to production:

Gloster:
Single-engined F.5/34 - could well have had an 'order' especially if flew earlier - my name is 'Guardian'.

Twin-engined F.9/37 - should have again flown earlier, with re-design of earlier design for cannon, would have been a big improvement on the Blenheim 1F, ideas please (and yes I know the later version for night fighter was going to be called the Reaper).

Bolton-Paul:
Single-engined P88.A and/or P88.B - cannon armed fighter aircraft - prototypes were ordered (along with Westland Whirlwind) but Treasury wouldn't cough up the money for so many prototypes. My idea is Dante - only reason being that the turret fighter was called Defiant, retaining the 'D' and with the firepower of four cannon gives you Dante's inferno!!

Four-engined P90 - to the specification B.12/36 (Stirling is the successful design). The design is well thought of by the Air Ministry - placed second after Vickers. So if it is chosen - should the name begin with a 'B' or a 'P' ? Bolton-Paul's factory at this time is in Wolverhampton, after previously being in Norwich area of Norfolk. My suggestion therefore would be Barnsley (only because it's a city) and Broads - as in the Norfolk Broads! Any other ideas.

My favorite "official" name was one that snuck by the censors. The Curtiss XP-55 Ascender. Swept-wing design with canards and a pusher prop. commonly pronounced as the "ass-ender'. :twisted:

Yes, this is indeed a classic. And oh, so American.

It might be obvious but does anyone know the story behind the naming of the B-24 'Liberator'?

It might be obvious but does anyone know the story behind the naming of the B-24 'Liberator'?

B-24 Liberator - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The name, "Liberator", was originally assigned to it by the RAF, and subsequently adopted by the USAAF as the official name for the type

B-24 Liberator Horizontal Bomber | World War II Database
Most of the first production B-24 bombers went to the Royal Air Force, including those ordered by France but did not take delivery due to German occupation. The British named the design Liberator, which was adopted by the USAAC as well.

That's what I can find about who named it.
I can't find the reason why it was named Liberator by the British.

Wheels

In addition to my earlier, I think I read elsewhere that all four engined British bombers had to be named after towns where major battles had taken place... I'm not up on my British military history, so can anyone confirm or deny?

Could have been a battle connection Evan, but i think it was mkore naming them for 'county' towns, or major cities or towns, as a possible expression of 'coverage' of Britain, for example Lancaster (County town or capital of Lancashire).
Other types in RAF aservice, British and American, often had names relevant to their role. For example the T6 or 'Texan', being an advanced trainer in RAF use, was named 'Harvard', after a place of higher education.

Could be right Terry, the Oxford would certainly fit the 'Harvard' explanation.

The question remains if a major battle took place in Halifax, Stirling, Manchester, Lancaster or Lincoln?

Now THAT must have been a party! (Bit like the many castle ruins in Ireland after Oliver Cromwell's last visit...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back