Aircraft of Amchitka Army Airfield and The Airfield (fighter-strip) being built

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Soldier

Airman
Aug 19, 2013
Kansas, USA
B-26 1.jpg
B-24.jpg
OBSERVATION PLANE.jpg
P-38.jpg
P-39.jpg
P-40 1.jpg
P-40 2.jpg
P-40 SNOW.jpg
aMCHITKA aIRFIELD.jpg

Last edited:
Yep, A while I aked my Grandfather what had happened and he told me that there was a heavy fog and the aircraft misjudged the ground and then didn't have enough speed to get up over the ridge at the end of the strip. He was tasked with helping bury the crewman the day after. He was in the artillery and actually helped build the airstrip for the fighters. That would be the last pic.

Really great photos! Thanks for posting them. I was especially interested in the B-24 wreck. There was a crash on Feb 25, 1943 which included the death of the bombardier, 2nd lt Socrates S. Pappas. He was buried on Amchitka in the Base Cemetery. The prop on number 4 engine was feathered as is the one in your photo. Also the nose of the aircraft was badly smashed as is the one in your photo. The only difference is the tail of the of the Pappas wreck is pretty much intact and yours appears to be missing.

The fighter strip was still under construction at the time as you can see heavy machinery in the background. Do you have an approximate date for your photo?
B-24 crash on Amchitka- possible mystery prop..jpg

I am not sure when the photo was taken but it looks like it might have been taken after they recovered the aircraft and not at the spot of the crash. according to my grandfathers diary, the fighter airstrip was built in early february of 43. The first p40s landed on the 16th of Feb.
It is definatey possible

Really great photos! Thanks for posting them. I was especially interested in the B-24 wreck. There was a crash on Feb 25, 1943 which included the death of the bombardier, 2nd lt Socrates S. Pappas. He was buried on Amchitka in the Base Cemetery. The prop on number 4 engine was feathered as is the one in your photo. Also the nose of the aircraft was badly smashed as is the one in your photo. The only difference is the tail of the of the Pappas wreck is pretty much intact and yours appears to be missing.

The fighter strip was still under construction at the time as you can see heavy machinery in the background. Do you have an approximate date for your photo?View attachment 244134

2nd Lt. Socrates Pappas was my father's younger brother. He died before I was born, but we referred to him as "Tio Catis" ("Uncle Catis"). Today I found out that seven weeks after he was killed, the rest of his squadron was killed in a raid. How very, very sad.

Attachments

• Senator Judith Zaffirini 2008 Memorial Day Ad FINAL.pdf
    101.6 KB · Views: 88
Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back