Aircraft With Contrarotating Props (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Kawanishi N1K1 15 Shi Prototype
t_n1k1_prototype_foto_379.jpg

t_n1k1_prototype_387.jpg

Republic XP-72
6041.jpg

Convair 117 XP5Y-1
8420L.jpg

Cheers
Hi Marcogrifo,
thanks very much indeed for your continued assistance in this rather difficult task.
Now, the Republic XP/72 is already included in my original list (30th line), whilst both the Convair 117XP5Y-1 and the Kawanishi N1K1 15 Shi prototype will be reflected in the new list I'm preparing.
By the way the prototype picture of the Kawanishi is extremely interesting and it is worth while to remark that this japanese aircraft was originally tested with a powerful 1460HP engine MK4D Kasei 14 driving contrarotating props to reduce torque.
During production however the contrarotating props were dropped for the sake of simplicity and the plane became the Kyofu.
Cheers
carson1934:):):)

Hi Marcogrifo,
thanks very much indeed for your continued assistance in this rather difficult task.
Now, the Republic XP/72 is already included in my original list (30th line), whilst both the Convair 117XP5Y-1 and the Kawanishi N1K1 15 Shi prototype will be reflected in the new list I'm preparing.
By the way the prototype picture of the Kawanishi is extremely interesting and it is worth while to remark that this japanese aircraft was originally tested with a powerful 1460HP engine MK4D Kasei 14 driving contrarotating props to reduce torque.
During production however the contrarotating props were dropped for the sake of simplicity and the plane became the Kyofu.
Cheers

I think the Convair 117 XP5Y-1 became the 'R3Y Tradewind' as per below :-

convair_tradewind-s.gif

Yes, it is new Marcogrifo, thanks very much indeed!
carson1934:D:D:D

...on second thought, Marcogrifo, I don't think that the Arado AR/64/C was powered by contrarotating props. I think what we have on your pic is a four bladed propeller .
Please also have a look at the following link:
Arado Ar 64.

On the other hand it would be interesting to have a second opinion.
Cheers
carson1934

Yes Cromwell youìre right but notwithstanding the similarities they are still two different aircrafts and not just a denomination change...
Cheers
carson1934

Is that not GOOD news ?? :?: You now have TWO more aircraft to add to the list

I do believe the operational Tradewind had Contra Props - but tell me if I am wrong

1950Convair-Tradewind2.jpg

...on second thought, Marcogrifo, I don't think that the Arado AR/64/C was powered by contrarotating props. I think what we have on your pic is a four bladed propeller .
Arado Ar 64.

Cheers
carson1934

Check this from Arado Ar 64 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

" The two differed as the 64d had a revised undercarriage and a four-blade propeller and the 64e had a two-blade propeller attached to a direct-drive version of the Jupiter VI radial engine. "

There were a few Spitfire Mk 21's (and 22's, possibly?) fitted with contra-props, using the Griffon 85.
I've only just become aware of these (the 21's) via a book I'm currently reading.
Prior to this I had dismissed the Shackleton engined Spit referred to earlier in this thread as total B.S.
I'll try to scan a photo from the book referred to - keep up the good work, Carson '34... your book should be a beauty!
Geoff '41​

As promised. From RAF 41 squadron 1947. If anyone can tell me more about Mk 22's with c-r props (or even better, a photograph!) please post same here. By the way: the Spit getting around with the Shackleton installation (other insert) is evidently a Mk19, so it IS in a sense, a bit of B.S. - but still rather impressive ...! Note that the 21 has the extra covering for the wheels, (and larger oil/intercooler boxes?).

Attachments

• Spit21-contra.jpg
    Spit21-contra.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 463
  • Ferte_MkXIX_a.jpg
    Ferte_MkXIX_a.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 282
As promised. From RAF 41 squadron 1947. If anyone can tell me more about Mk 22's with c-r props (or even better, a photograph!) please post same here. By the way: the Spit getting around with the Shackleton installation (other insert) is evidently a Mk19, so it IS in a sense, a bit of B.S. - but still rather impressive ...! Note that the 21 has the extra covering for the wheels, (and larger oil/intercooler boxes?).

Hi Siznaudin, welcome to the "contrarotating props" thread!
Thanks for the information and pics, no I'm not trying to write a book on this subject but merely my object is to compile a listing as complete as possible of such like aircrafts actually flown and/or tested.
I'm leaving out of this list the so called projects and "paper planes".
Say hello for me to Adelaide (a city I love)!

Arado Ar 64.

Cheers
carson1934

Hi carson,
sorry for the mistake, I think you're right :confused:
Seems like they put two two-bladed props together in order to have a four-blade prop :rolleyes:

Cheers :)

Was this one mentioned already? Tempest III:
sf08.jpg

Hi Marcel,
thanks for joining the thread and for the submitted pic.
Yes it is included in my list with her new denomination, i:e:, Hawker MkI "Fury" (registration LA610)
equipped with a Rolls Royce Griffon engine 85 and contrarotating props. It flew in 1944.
Cheers

MISS ASHLEY II

P51 with Learjet Wings Tail-plane

ma2.jpg

You might find I posted the Mk21 with Contra-props before 8)

If ayone noticed or cared

BTW: The List is growing Compadre

Last edited by a moderator:
MISS ASHLEY II

P51 with Learjet Wings Tail-plane

ma2.jpg

You might find I posted the Mk21 with Contra-props before 8)

If ayone noticed or cared

BTW: The List is growing Compadre
Hi, thanks Cromwell, the list is getting very thick.
On Thursday I should have a full free day and will try to bring it to compeltion.

Here is a rare one for you I saw this weekend

Attachments

• x4.jpg
    x4.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 240
  • x3.jpg
    x3.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 233
  • x2.jpg
    x2.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 285