Aircraft With Contrarotating Props

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Found this two profiles on some artist's web site. Note that this is purely fictional, but wouldn't be cool if it was real?

Hi Imalko,
I hope you can help me. I'm conducting a research of yougoslav air force pre and during WWII and I have come across an article entitled Kraljevacka fabrika "Brege" which is written in serbian that I cannot translate also in said article there is a picture of a twin eingined bomber that I cannot identify.
I'm attaching a picture of this aircraft hoping that you will be able to identify it. Also with a separate message I will send you copy of the full URL.
Cheers and thanks in advance
carson1934

Attachments

• 18848_42467867_scan0037.jpg
    18848_42467867_scan0037.jpg
    813.4 KB · Views: 284
Hello Carson!
I will have to check but think I have this entire article, it was published in Aeromagazin few years back. Its quite long article but I suppose I could translate it for you but it will take some time (don't know how long though).
As for twin engined aircraft on the pic its Dornier Do 17K. It was licence produced in airplane factory at Kraljevo and served in Royal Yugoslav Air Force as light bomber.

I was thinking about starting new thread dedicated to the Yugoslav Air Force in WW2 years. Actually I have plenty of interesting material on this subject but translating all this is very time consuming.

Also if you are interested in this subject you may want to check out this link:

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/aviation/yugoslav-detachment-heavy-bombers-1942-1945-a-18069.html

Cheers!

Last edited:
I found the article... It was published in AERO magazin issue 51 from august/september 2003.
Here's a quick translation of the text which is refering to the picture on the page you have posted:

Do 17 was intended for day and night bombing and recconnaisance and it was equipped with two 870hp air cooled piston engines with a compresor. Regardeless if they were imported or manufactured at Kraljevo, all Dorniers were armed at Kraljevo factory. In the nose of the aircraft was placed 20mm automatic cannon Hyspano and in the windshield 13,2mm Browning machine gun. Besides in bomb bay, bombs could be carried on two hard points bellow the wings, one of the configurations being - 2 x 200kg beneath the wings and 8x100kg bombs in bomb bay. Aircraft had a crew of three.
Performance: ceiling: 8500m, combat radius: 800km, max.speed: 425km/h for bomber version and 438km/h for reccon version.

Profile from book: Dornier Do 17 - the Yugoslav story (Operational Record 1937-1947) written by Boris Ciglić Dragan Savić

Attachments

• Do-17Ka-3-3364_index.jpg
    Do-17Ka-3-3364_index.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 283
Last edited:
Thanks very, very much Imalko for both posts...a cool job!
Do not hesitate to contact me for whatever you may require in the future...if I can I will certainly help
carson1934

P.S. You can find my avatar on "aircraft identification V" most of the time!

P51 Reno Racer with Griffon Power AND Contra Rotating Props - that look like they could be used for executions !

Contrarotating.jpg

How about a Fairey Battle with the Vulture engine

You will find more on this at this site [below] - btw I think it was a P24 experimental double-linked engine

Fairey Battle - bomber

Last edited by a moderator:
You will find more on this at this site [below] - btw I think it was a P24 experimental double-linked engine

Fairey Battle - bomber

Hi Cromwell thanks very much for the nice pic of the P/51 Reno Racer.Regarding the Fairey Battle I agree, it was certainly a Fairey P/24 engine that drove the contrarotating props (By the way your pic of the Fairey Battle with contrarotating props must be a rarity, thanks for posting)
carson1934:):):)

Yokosuka R2Y1

Sorry Verner, the Yokosuka R2Y1 used two eingines to drive one single six blade propeller therefore no contrarotating props (her look fooled me too!)
carson1934

OK, how about THIS One

A-90 Orlyonok

A-90_Orlyonok_4.jpg

Quite right Cromwell I'll reflect in the next list the Northrop flying wings as well as the Caspian Sea monsters!
Thanks for your continued interest in this thread
carson1934:):):)

Hi A4K
thanks for contributing to my thread and for the nice pics.
The TU-114 and 114/D "Rossia" have already been included in my first list (37th line) of my post #1.
Cheers carson1934:D:D

And this?
It's named RP-4, has a futuristic look and promise to beat the "World 3, 15 and 100 Kilometer Speed Records".

070600FA01-348x148.jpg

More info here: Coonfield Blog: TOMORROW'S RECORD BREAKER. RP4

Cheers

Hi Marcogrifo,
thanks very much for your precious contribution, I didn't expect any less from you! I'll include this contraption (it rather looks like a grassmower) in my next list.
If you think of something I may have overlooked or ignored you are welcome to let me know.
carson1934:D:D

NORTHROP B35 Flying Wing

(early version anyhow)

BTW I hope you are Adding these to your List - I am looking forward to a Definitive list of Contra Prop Planes - please !!

9709g.jpg

OK Cromwell it's being done just bear with me a little longer till I collect some more information
carson1934

OK Cromwell it's being done just bear with me a little longer till I collect some more information
carson1934

Yes Sireeee !!

No B/S - I really think there is a Gap in the Market for a book on Contra-rotating Propeller Planes

Go get 'em Carson - you could sell it on Amazon maybe ?

Take care

Cromey

Another One - Variations on the Northrop theme, along with some very interesting general aviation stuff as well.

From this blog [ very good info on aviation, amongst other stuff ]

Bayou Renaissance Man: March 2009

Northrop%20Turbodyne%20V%20proposal%201.jpg

Caproni CA183 Bis

Caproni CA.183bis high-altitude fighter War and Game

ca1831sml.jpg

Supermarine SEAGULL - aha ! NOT a Seafire or Seafang

http://www.combatreform2.com/supermarineseagullseaplane.jpg

supermarineseagullseaplane.jpg

Aha ! the F35B Version has a CONTRA-ROTATING FAN !!

Quote from :

United Kingdom Announces F-35 Joint Strike Fighter Supersonic Stealth Jets Purchase | 24 Plus News

" Compared with the Conventional Take-off and Landing (F-35A) variant already flying, the F-35B has a shaft-driven lift fan mounted behind the cockpit, roll ducts installed in the wing and swivelling nozzle fitted to the engine.

In STOVL mode, doors open above and below the lift fan, a clutch engages to drive the two-stage contra-rotating fan from the engine and the rear nozzle pivots downward to deflect engine thrust."

Also from :-

http://machinedesign.com/article/the-joint-strike-fighter-a-plane-for-all-reasons-0307

501481500301jpg_00000048826.jpg

Skyshark

Turbo-prop Test version of Skyraider

A2D_Skyshark.jpg

Ani_skyshark-InstructionsBack.jpg

PITAGORA UAV - Contra Fans

pitagora1.jpg

Northrhop Black Bullet

22.jpg

And this?
It's named RP-4, has a futuristic look and promise to beat the "World 3, 15 and 100 Kilometer Speed Records".

070600FA01-348x148.jpg

More info here: Coonfield Blog: TOMORROW'S RECORD BREAKER. RP4

Cheers

Hi Marcogrifo,
I just read the Coonfield blog concerning the RP/4 racer of David Rose: it is incredible what a single man's ingenuity can accomplish and I regret having called it a lawnmower! It is instead an incredible accomplishment (just think of both tandem V/8 engines driving contrarotating props of carbon fibre at a speed exceeding Mach 1).
Do you know whether it flew already?I also like his name Rose Peregrine!
http://www.landings.com/evird.acgi$pass*95244913!_h-www.landings.com/_landings/pacflyer/jul5-2007/Jl-70-dave-roses-roc.html

carson1934

Yes Sireeee !!

No B/S - I really think there is a Gap in the Market for a book on Contra-rotating Propeller Planes

Go get 'em Carson - you could sell it on Amazon maybe ?

Take care

Cromey

Another One - Variations on the Northrop theme, along with some very interesting general aviation stuff as well.

From this blog [ very good info on aviation, amongst other stuff ]

Bayou Renaissance Man: March 2009

Northrop%20Turbodyne%20V%20proposal%201.jpg

Caproni CA183 Bis

Caproni CA.183bis high-altitude fighter War and Game

ca1831sml.jpg

Supermarine SEAGULL - aha ! NOT a Seafire or Seafang

http://www.combatreform2.com/supermarineseagullseaplane.jpg

supermarineseagullseaplane.jpg

Aha ! the F35B Version has a CONTRA-ROTATING FAN !!

Quote from :

United Kingdom Announces F-35 Joint Strike Fighter Supersonic Stealth Jets Purchase | 24 Plus News

" Compared with the Conventional Take-off and Landing (F-35A) variant already flying, the F-35B has a shaft-driven lift fan mounted behind the cockpit, roll ducts installed in the wing and swivelling nozzle fitted to the engine.

In STOVL mode, doors open above and below the lift fan, a clutch engages to drive the two-stage contra-rotating fan from the engine and the rear nozzle pivots downward to deflect engine thrust."

Also from :-

The Joint Strike Fighter: A plane for all reasons | Machine Design

501481500301jpg_00000048826.jpg

Skyshark

Turbo-prop Test version of Skyraider

A2D_Skyshark.jpg

Ani_skyshark-InstructionsBack.jpg

PITAGORA UAV - Contra Fans

pitagora1.jpg

Northrhop Black Bullet

22.jpg

Hi Cromwell,
thanks very very much for the cool material you are submitting, it'll take me a while to digest the whole information mass!
I have very much appreciated the nice pic concerning the british Seagull ASR (only two actually flown), your 4th pic and the 5th diagram instead refer to the Douglas XA2D1 Skyshark(only 12 built)which is already available on my first listing.
You will hear from me hopefully within a short time (I'm an old man and must manage my time!).
Cheers and thanks again
carson1934

Hi Cromwell,
thanks very very much for the cool material you are submitting, it'll take me a while to digest the whole information mass!
I have very much appreciated the nice pic concerning the british Seagull ASR (only two actually flown), your 4th pic and the 5th diagram instead refer to the Douglas XA2D1 Skyshark(only 12 built)which is already available on my first listing.
You will hear from me hopefully within a short time (I'm an old man and must manage my time!).
Cheers and thanks again
carson1934

Hi Carson

I looked on your list and you have the Douglas Y\B-42 and Douglas XB42/A o'Mixmaster" (1942) and Douglas XTB2D-I *Skypirate" (1945)

However, I don't see the XA2D1 Skyshark - Perhaps you can confirm please ? :?:

Hi Carson

I looked on your list and you have the Douglas Y\B-42 and Douglas XB42/A o'Mixmaster" (1942) and Douglas XTB2D-I *Skypirate" (1945)

However, I don't see the XA2D1 Skyshark - Perhaps you can confirm please ? :?:

Hi Cromwell,
you're right, how stupid of me! The Douglas "Skyshark" will be reflected on the new revised list I have in preparation ready next week.
Thanks
Cheers
carson1934

Hi Cromwell,
you're right, how stupid of me! The Douglas "Skyshark" will be reflected on the new revised list I have in preparation ready next week.
Thanks
Cheers
carson1934

BTW I see us as friends and compatriots in our quest for the the ulitmate contra-list

Please don't feel you have to castigate yourself - I think we are on an adventure with many twists and turns before we reach our destnation.

I am looking forward to your new list - MkII no less :)

Kawanishi N1K1 15 Shi Prototype
t_n1k1_prototype_foto_379.jpg

t_n1k1_prototype_387.jpg

Republic XP-72
6041.jpg

Convair 117 XP5Y-1
8420L.jpg

Cheers

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back