Aircraft With Contrarotating Props

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Apparently the 6-cylinder E.J.C. rotary was installed in a Vendome monoplane that (possibly) first flew on 29 April 1914.

E.J.C. advertisement:
MOTEUR ECJ.jpg

E.J.C. 6-cylinder:
EJC 6-cylinder.JPG

Verdome monoplane with E.J.C. engine:
Vendome EJC.JPG

Hi everybody !

I found by chance this topic today and I discovered that someone created more than seven years ago a topic in English almost at the same time as my same topic in French...

AviationsMilitaires.net • Voir le sujet - Premiers avions à hélices contrarotatives

The greatest difference is that I search all the planes with contra-rotating propellers only until 1957 (Tupolev 114). I see too that you had, like me, problems with all the Spitfire and dérivatives with contra-rotating propellers...

Well, thanks a lot for what I found new in this topic :

-Vendôme monoplane with EJC engine (I had the engine, not the plane)
-Nakajima Ki-44
-Fairey Firefly 4
-Spitfire Mk VIII and IX
-Spitfire Mk 21, 22, 24 (I had no proof)
-Testbeds Avro Lancaster, Lincoln and Lancastrian
-Convair XP5Y and Tradewind dérivatives

In return, I propose to you :

-Ferber V-bis/VI : 27/05/1905 : 6 hp. One built. http://www.3af.fr/sites/default/fil...c/articles/ferdinand_ferber.jpg?itok=itOIo_cV
http://www.3af.fr/sites/default/fil..._zoom/public/articles/128-3.jpg?itok=kisYrvw2
-Ferber VIII : 1906 : 24 hp. Destroyed by tempest before its first flight. One built.
-Heath-Brown : 1931 : bicylinder engine. Unable to fly. One built.
American airplanes: Bo - Bu (Brown - C L Brown, Rushville MO)
-Brown : 1935 : 80 hp. One built.
HD Stock Video Footage - Test of airplane with counter-rotating propellers
Flying Magazine (p. 355)
-Curtis P-36 : 1938 ? One built.
HD Stock Video Footage - P-36 aircraft takes off, in flight and lands on a grass field in United States.
-SNCAC NC-110 : bomber in building in June 1940 (cancelled after the collapse of France)
Projet de bombardier stratégique : le NC-110
-Republic P-47B : 1943 ? One built. (testbed for the project P-47J)
Republic P-47B 'Double Twister'
-Hawker Tornado : 03.1943. One built.
Hawker Tornado | Forums

Greetings

Hi, thanks to Wikipedia, and the Aircraft Engine Historical Society, we got these links.

For the aircraft to 1957, we can see, as new :

-French "float/boatplan" Ravaud Aeroscaphe of 1909 (never flown)

-Polish Schindler Aquila of 1910 (crash during main flight)

-American Curtiss JN-4 trainer, modified by Egan & Evans in 1931 (No information on flight dates, time aloft, or performance.)

-American Autogiro Company AC-35 of 1935 (some flights with contra-rotating propellers)

-American Douglas B-23 bomber (unknown flight dates with contra-rotating propellers)

-French Navy fighter Sud-Est SE-580 français of 1945 (cancelled prototype)

-American tourist Atlas H-10 Mono-Twin of 1948 (only prototype with contra-rotating propellers)

Last edited:
A "new" one :

-British Piggott biplane, with Four-cylinder 80 hp engine. Tested at Hendon in 1912, but "not believed to have flown"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back