Airfix's Spitfire FR Mk XIV Mojo Builder

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi guys. A bit of progress to report from Friday.

The prop has been painted and decaled. Leading edge chips on the blades were done with with small dabs of Testors gold to represent the brass wear plates at that location.

I did not use the five "Locked-Unlocked" stencils for the Amal fasteners that connect the spinner to the back plate as I think that Airfix got these wrong. First of all, Airfix include only 5 such decals and they seem quite large at that (see below). Reference pictures seem to indicate that there are 10 such points, not 5, with two between each prop blade. Secondly, the two words should be on either side of the fastener holes which in most photos are quite visible. Airfix do not include any representation of the fasteners holes which, if I were to add them, would appear as black dots or, if I'm ambitious, drilled holes. So far, I have left the stencils off because of this, reasoning also that, since the spinner was painted yellow (apparently), the stencils may have been painted over and not reapplied.

Moving over the the underside, another omission by Airfix is the panel and part for the IFF spike antenna on the starboard wing. Below are before and after pics showing how I scribed the panel and added the spike from stretched sprue. It's not yet been painted.

That's all for now. Thanks again for looking in.

EDIT: Looking ahead, I've also been able to confirm via a colleague at Britmodeler, who has the previously mentioned 2nd TAF book that includes a photo of Lazy Lady V, that the fish tail exhausts recommended for this option by Airfix are also incorrect and that, rather, the straight round stubs were featured on this aircraft. I twigged to this when I noticed the round stubs on NH903 in the photo I posted earlier and, since this aircraft was just one unit behind mine on the production line, it made no sense that NH902 would have fish tails. This is good news because it makes drilling them out much easier! Here's a detail of the pic, posted with Chris Thomas' permision:

Last edited:
Thanks guys. A couple of pictures below showing how she looks at the moment. Matte clear coat on, inner gun caps painted red, canopy masks off. The sliding hood is just sitting now, not glued. The fit isn't very good, despite this being the part for the closed position. The camera windows have been built up with a pool of Future as they were far too recessed.

My colleague at BM has now kindly provided me with copies of two images of this aircraft on the condition that I don't share or post them. They reveal a couple of things:

1) Round exhaust stubs confirmed, contrary to Airfix's instructions
2) Tires should be smooth, not diamond tread, , contrary to Airfix's instructions (too late for that - I will leave them)
3) Spinner colour is at odds with the prop tips so very likely not yellow. More likely red.
4) Camo demarcation at the nose stops at the cowl joint and is not sprayed lower.
5) Contrary to Airfix's instructions, the canopy frame is only a light colour, presumably silver/NMF on the bottom frames. Everything else is dark green.

Sigh....

Thanks gentlemen. I worked on some corrections today.

Since taking the earlier photo of the prop assembly, I had added the 10 fastener holes only to discover via the new pictures that the pattern I chose was incorrect. Apparently, there are at least two styles of spinners on the XIV and the one on mine sports just 5 fastener holes immediately ahead of the middle seam line (which I also added). I pretty much ruled out the yellow spinner and chose red instead and so my attempts to fill the holes and smooth the surface for the new paint resulted in enough surface imperfections that I ended up removing all the paint to the bare plastic and starting fresh. I had hoped that the spinner would easily pop off the back plate but no such luck so I ended up having to protect the stencils on the prop blades and work around them. Here we are ready for new paint after the new fastener holes were added.

And with the red applied, blades touched up, and new matte coat applied:

Yesterday, I began drilling out the exhaust stacks. The soft plastic made this fairly easy, though it was also simple to split the wall so care needed to be taken. Before and aft pic below:

The other fix was to repaint the low camo demarcation that I was pretty proud of. The reality is that this particular machine had the demarcation stopping at the cowl joint so I went ahead and masked the area for a repaint.

The tight spray pattern of the new Ultra meant that I could easily avoid the letter P and so no overspray occurred.

Back with more soon...ish

Users who are viewing this thread