Airfix's Spitfire FR Mk XIV Mojo Builder

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys. I'm not liking the narrow collar on the cannon fairings near the wing leading edge. I can't find any evidence that there was such a large difference in diameters at this point and, unless someone can confirm that it's correct, I will look at filling it in.

If the .50 cal guns were carried, they were mounted inboard, with the blunt stub covered by the red fabric patch.
If no .50 cal, like most of the Mk.XIVs in service in the ETO, the cannons were mounted inboard, with the stub outboard, covered with the domed cap.
Pics below show the layout, with the first and last pics being a Mk.IX, but the mounting was the same.
(pics from "2 TAF", and now in the public domain).

Spit cannon 1.jpg
Spit cannon 2.jpg
Spit cannon 3.jpg

Thanks for those Terry. Though I have no pics of this specific aircraft, most other RCAF FR. XIV pics show the cannons on the outside and that's also what the instructions show. Below is the odd detail that I was talking about and I'm convinced now that the narrow area shown needs to be filled. I'll also add the fabric patch to the inner stub as the model sports the ejection chutes for the 50's.

Capture.JPG

Ah, I see.
Yes, that looks rather too prominent. The first pic I posted shows the joint on a Mk.IX, which is only just visible in real life. From what I've seen elsewhere, the late Mk.IX /XVI and the Mk.XIV had a flush joint, seen, if at all, as just a line.

I've cleaned up those odd cannon fairings and continue to find scratches and nicks in this soft plastic that need cleaning up before I apply the final paint scheme. In studying the camouflage, I came across this picture which appears in the SAM Publications book on Griffon Engined Spitfires by Robert Humphries. This aircraft is s/n NH903 which is just one number after my subject so makes for a good study. I am noting that the demarcation between the upper colours and the MSG at the nose is actually slightly below the point where the removable cowl break is and that this seems to be fairly common on XIV's. It can also be seen on one of Terry's pics above. The demarcation appears to be soft-edged and so I will try to replicate that at this location as well as between the main wing and the rudder as this appears to be the case on the below pic of NH903

NH903.JPG

This picture does leave me wondering about the choice of exhaust stubs. The kit offers two styles; the one recommended for my subject has flared stubs and the other style is with straight pipes. However, the stubs on the above pic seem to be the straight style so I'm wondering if Airfix's recommendation is correct?

Started on the uppers today and it's turning out to be quite a challenge to freehand this camo. The other day I manage to twist off the thread of my almost new .3mm nozzle which I replaced last year. That means that I'm having to use the old one which was bent and that was giving me trouble, the whole reason I replaced it in the first place. So while I'm awaiting a new nozzle (and I'm also looking to get a new H&S Ultra) I went ahead and tried to spray this beast.

Though the paint looks passable thus far, the finish is not without it's spiders and blast marks as I just could not get the flow to work smoothly. It's only partly done here of course and I had to take a break from it.
20051901.jpg

Well, until I get the new brush, which has shipped, and the new nozzle, which I've not yet ordered, I tried to struggle on with the old nozzle on my Iwata and boy what a struggle it was. After about a half hour of puking spiders I stripped everything down to the valve and immersed the body in lacquer thinner for a half hour to loosen any paint that may have got stuck somewhere. Everything was then re-assembled, lubed and........same sh!t, different session.

To get any paint to flow, I had to crank the pressure to about 32 psi and even then I had to push the trigger all the way in. At that point, I might get paint in a form resembling that Linda Blair vomit scene from the Exorcist - or I might get none. Absolutely no confidence in the equipment. This is what I was dealing with throughout the session:

20052101.jpg

The difference in quality of the finish between the grey and the green can really be seen and it was only after another hour of this nonsense that I got the green more or less finished:

20052102.jpg

I've now put the model aside and will go over things again when the new H&S arrives.

Thanks Terry. Yes, I knew this nozzle was kaput but kept it as a spare after I got the new one that I recently broke. It works OK if I want to do general spraying of large areas but is dicey for precision work like the freehand camo here. I'll post some close-ups to show how the finish is less than stellar, though it looks okay from a distance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back