Airfix's Spitfire FR Mk XIV Mojo Builder

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Dave. I'm not sure to what extend engineering extends to execution but there needed to be more work on ensuring positive fit before the moulds were made. The gas tank plug is a good idea but it's too small. To me, that looks like there was not enough testing, an indifferent attitude to the results of the test shots, or a reluctance to spend money adjusting moulds. Generally, fit is sloppy but I've had worse.

The wing issue is partly my doing in that I probably shaved off too much material to get the joint to fit but the gas tank plug and the rocker covers are all Airfix. I've not got to the undercart yet and Geo has warned me about it a couple of times. Right now, my worry is how to fit the damned ailerons which don't fit well even if the wing halves were properly aligned. With the misalignment, the issue is magnified.

Aileron work. Note the step on the inboard side representing the misalignment of the upper and lower halves. Though worse on this side due to my wing root seam adjustment, there's also one on t'other side which was not my fault!

20042301.jpg

The step was filled with a piece of styrene card and the aileron was filed on both ends so that the bottom edges lined up properly.

20042302.jpg

Once the glue has set. I'll file down the filler pieces and secure the ailerons.

Thanks everyone. A little more seam attention, rescribing, and we should be good for paint. There's some debate over whether or not Lazy Lady V had a yellow spinner as depicted by Airfix. There's a apparently a pic in Chris Shores' 2nd TAF tome but I don't have the book, nor the mortgage needed to buy one. Anyone have the pic and can comment?

Geo sent me the pic, from Vol 3.
Spinner definitely looks black, which was the 'standard' for 2 TAF aircraft.

OOPS !
The pic sent is a MkIX, so still no further forward.

OK...still being slow on the uptake here and just noticed the date on the instructions, June '45. Spinner colour may have changed to reflect occupation markings. I know there was a red/yellow fuselage band added to some aircraft

Thanks all. The spinner will be yellow unless better info comes along.

The wing tips are represented on the clear sprue. I drilled holes for the bulbs, painted them the appropriate colours and then wacked them on. Hard to tell what the fit is like til it's all painted so I'll give it a dose of primer after it sets.

20042701.jpg

The canyons left after the radiator baths were glued in have been partly filled with stretched sprue. This will also get a shot of primer once set.

20042702.jpg

Small cleanups continue before starting on the final paint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back