Airfix's Spitfire FR Mk XIV Mojo Builder

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nice progress Andy.
interesting that Sword models call for a red spinner on their 1/72 kit of the same subject ?
though they got the seeker heads mixed up for the different missiles in their EE Lightning kit so not sure about their research department :lol:

Soooooooo.... Late Mk XIV gun sight. Does this look right to you?

20200501_210256.jpg

I agree, I would have thought a late Mk.XIV would have the gyro gun sight. The sight was in full production by the end of 1943, and was fitted to the Mk.IX first, from early 1944.
It's possible that an early Mk.XIV had the GM2 reflector sight, although more likely the gyro sight, and a late production aircraft would be virtually certain to have the gyro sight.

Thanks guys, that's what I was thinking. Even if it didn't have the gyro sight, I would have expected the sight with a rectangular reflector glass rather than the rounded one.

Sprayed a bunch of yellow stuff today and this model got the most of it.

20051101.jpg

Now, the caps for the inner cannon barrels need to be investigated as to why Airfix moulded them with a hollowed-out face. I always thought they were flat. Anyone know?

Good stuff.
The inner stubs would be .50 cal guns, if fitted. These would be hollow, with either a red fabric patch or a cap. If the guns weren't fitted, the stubs would have the domed cap fitted.
One question Andy - does the kit include the 'standard' wing tips, as well as the 'clipped' tips ?
Might be interested in doing G-Fire, when it's released, which, when i knew it, had full span wings.

Thanks Terry. Yes, the wings are actually moulded the full width and you need to cut them off for the clipped tips. Both decal offerings are for the clipped wing versions though.

Squirted on the MSG this evening. I'm doing minimal weathering as this aircraft was pretty new on June, 1945.

20051102.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back