Airmodel C-124 Globemaster 1/72 scale (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

deckape

Staff Sergeant
Jul 26, 2011
Moraine Ohio U.S.A.
Ahoy
While my PBY is drying I love to share this here is build you dont see everyday or any other day This is a vacuform kit from airmodel this is a old kit not certain i9f they make these anymore. I purchased this kit from Archers Hobby world in 1977 the worlds first mail order hobby house.I was hopeing domeday some company would produce a kit od old Shakey, It seems that airmodel filled the bill. This is not a kit for the novis at heart it is exstremely difficult to build there are no formers or spars in the kit cthey have to be made by the builder. in the kit there are 4 sheets of vacuform parts A choice three view plan sheet along with a sketch view of exploded parts in how the pane is assembled. again the intereir parts have to be made by the builder the kit is a challenge in itself. back then there were no injection kits made of this kit until now a company that makes the C-124 in the same scale all mulimedia kit resin and styren plastic all injection formed expensive to say the least $300.00 I american curencey not certain howm much in English pounds but its expensive.This kit back then cost $19.95 reasonable at the time the clam shell cargo doors opperate on the kit they have to be built by thye modler there is a boarding ramp in the plpane I forgot to lower it when i opened up the cargo clam shell doors. As you can see it is a beefy model the globemaster was a fat huge of an airplane I flew in one when I was embarking to the Phillipine islands. In 1966 I boarded one of these Behemouths took off from Travis airforce Base California to Clarke field Phillipines. A slow plane and loud there must have been atleasted 200 personal onboard no seats just a cargo deck with netted hamocks to sit on as you approached forward there is a ladder way that goes up to the flight deck where thye pilot flight engineers and navigators are positioned. interesting plane. Here is my old Shakey.

Boats:D:D:D:D

Attachments

• PICT0001.JPG
    PICT0001.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 275
  • PICT0002.JPG
    PICT0002.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 246
  • PICT0003.JPG
    PICT0003.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 179
  • PICT0004.JPG
    PICT0004.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 174
  • PICT0005.JPG
    PICT0005.JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 210
  • PICT0006.JPG
    PICT0006.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 179
I've built a bunch of Airmodel kits, mostly smaller ones, so I know the work that went into that one. You've done a great job.
Ed

I've built a bunch of Airmodel kits, mostly smaller ones, so I know the work that went into that one. You've done a great job.
Ed

Ahoy Ed
thanks Sir, we both know these airmodel vacuforms are no picnic nothing but bare bones where their hands leave off yours takes over.

Boats

What an ugly plane. :lol:

But the model looks great. Well done Boats.:thumbright:

Ahoy Wojtek
thanks you sir for your reply on old Shakey. good enough whjere this plane comes from they dont make them for beauty. LOllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll she is just a slow dumb cargo plane.
Boats

Last edited by a moderator:
What a wonderful job!! Question: I have walked around a C-124, but it was all closed up. With two rows of windows, does it have the capability for two decks inside?

What a wonderful job!! Question: I have walked around a C-124, but it was all closed up. With two rows of windows, does it have the capability for two decks inside?

Ahoy Matt308
Yes I boarded the plane with my seabag on my shoulders and walked up the cargo boarding ramp there is a two deck layout. This optional depending on whay cargo manifiest it is carrying. If the ship is carrying truck,tractor, or tanks the top deck is folded up in a inverted V to make room for the load. If it is carrying personal like me and a 199 more other fellows, the top deck is folded down to acominate all personal who are boarded. How to board the top deck when you first enter the plane from the front there is a ladder way going straighyt up you climb that ladder and it will take you up to the upper deck also the flightt deck where the pilot co pilot and flight engineer is stationed at. There are no seats on the Globemaster only netted hamock like benchs, one thing I remenbered the most it was darn cold inside and she shaked rattles and rolled for 17 miserable hours from california to the Phillipines. LOLlllllllllll I remebered one thing I done when we were in flight I toured the pilots flight deck the pilot and co pilot were sleeping the only guy that was awake was the flight engineer, I asked him whos flying this buzzard, he replied auto and me. I replied back what a magnificient pair

Boats

Spectacular model Boats!! I've done vacuform add-ons to injected molded kits before and can't imagine going through that torture for an entire kit, especially one that size.

Here's a picture of the interior looking in the front clam shell doors of the one at the Air Force Museum taken years ago when they had it open. You can see the upper deck floor folded up. Not a great picture. Fingerprint on the lens. One of the joys of having children. Took about 200 useless pictures that day.

Attachments

• P1010056.JPG
    P1010056.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 119
Spectacular model Boats!! I've done vacuform add-ons to injected molded kits before and can't imagine going through that torture for an entire kit, especially one that size.

Here's a picture of the interior looking in the front clam shell doors of the one at the Air Force Museum taken years ago when they had it open. You can see the upper deck floor folded up. Not a great picture. Fingerprint on the lens. One of the joys of having children. Took about 200 useless pictures that day.

ahoy Tbolt
thank you very much for your reply and the picture of old shakey. looks like the same ship at Wright Pattersen AirForce Base Museum. inside my model looks exactly like this the build took me 3 years to build i got my $20.00 worth out of it and then some. The platform right above the young ladys head is the flight deck to get to the flight deck the ladder way is on the right side as you enter the plane from front of the boarding ramp. when old shakey is to embark with troops or personal the upper flight deck is triced down and locked to enter the top flight decki you have to climb up the ladder way as that of the pilot co-pilot flight engineer and navigator does. enteresting plane. I flew in one in 1966 when I was in the Navy I flew out from Travis AFB san Fransisco California to clark field Phillipines. it too 22 hours. It was the roughest airplane i ever flew in her nick name old shakey comes from the shakeyness of being airborne. In the air you bounced around alot and was thrown from one side of the aircraft to the other. When i got off that thing I kissed the deck I walked on and blessed it as well after I got up on my two feet I reached down behind my lower back to check if I still had my kidneys left. This why they call her old shakey Only thing good for certain about this aircraft is that the globemaster waqs a very dependable airplane and got the job done but to fly in these beast is something else, not designed for compfort. thanks Tbolt for the reply and the picture I am honored sir.

Boats

Users who are viewing this thread

Back