Airworthy P-47 - turbochargers??

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Piper106

Airman 1st Class
Nov 20, 2008
On the airworthy P-47s on the airshow circuit, are the turbochargers (and intercoolers) functional, still in the airframe but in-active / non-functional, or removed from the airframe and replaced with ballast??

I know of ONE, over on the east coast, and have heard of another, but have never confirmed the second one. Steve Hinton flew the one, and said it performed quite well way up high. It was a short conversation and that's the gist of it as I recall. There was a bit more, but it did just fine way up high, over 30k feet.

I couldn't say if any (but one, 45-49385 N47DF) have functional turbos or not (would be ballasted if not) but a good clue is the waste gate exhaust behind the oil cooler exhaust in front of the wing. If there is a butterfly valve in a "smaller" size pipe the engine exhaust is probably going all the way back to the turbo where it is going to be run past either a functional or non-functional turbine. If you look closely at a lot of P-47s you'll notice a "larger" valveless exhaust where that turbo wastegate should be and consequently all (both sides of plane) the exhaust is exiting. .

Westpac (they restored Paul Allen's, check it) put 45-49385 N47DF together awhile back (1995 I guess) and when I was sitting in it in Santa Rosa, CA (haha - somewhere I have pics) I was told they had pulled some boost on the turbo (no idea how much). They were also using a Curtiss Electric prop (name another P-47 that's flown on an electric - lol). It didn't last long, tho, next owner went hydraulic because he wanted to fly it, I guess. The aircraft back to Westpac and is (was?) being restored with a "fully functional" turbo. I will say it's truly odd watching a cold Jug fire up spewing 98% of it's oily startup smoke there in front of the tailwheel ... someone else can check the tailwheel tire pressure ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back