"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Tucked away in the BBC article I posted at #20,738 are claims from Ukraine that Russia has blown up second dam:

Valeriy Shershen, a spokesperson for the Ukrainian military, said Moscow's forces had chosen to blow up a second dam near the village of Novodarivka, which "led to the flooding on both banks of the Mokri Yaly river".

Be interesting to see if there's any more reporting on this topic.

It attains two purposes for the Russians, destroying power supplies as well as flooding potential routes for assault.

Cutting railway lines is something normally done before a major attack, to try to isolate the combat area, hindering supplies and reinforcements. I wonder if what has gone before is but decoys or faints and the major attack has yet to be launched.
Personally, I think they are going to aim for Crimea. Or at least threaten it so Russia rushes to keep it and use the opportunity to destroy the Russians as they attempt to do so.

What happens when a 'superpower' is not even able to produce nails and underpants:
Maybe those were the North Korean stocks?

Edit - Or maybe an Oscar Schindler running Russian ammunition factories?

Last edited:
Cutting railway lines is something normally done before a major attack, to try to isolate the combat area, hindering supplies and reinforcements. I wonder if what has gone before is but decoys or faints and the major attack has yet to be launched.
Unfortunately, rail lines are easily repaired, as was demonstrated in Europe during WWII. The allied bombing campaign was continually having to return to the same railway infrastructure.

Jim

Unfortunately, rail lines are easily repaired, as was demonstrated in Europe during WWII. The allied bombing campaign was continually having to return to the same railway infrastructure.

Jim
Track damage - takes some hours depending on damage
track blocked by collapsed bridge - may take several days depending on the size of the bridge and available heavy equipment
even some hours are a win if that deprives the enemy of urgently needed supplies

Unlike the Germans, Russia seems to have an infrastructure problem.

Taking out railroad lines can cause a bottleneck for Russia both because they lack a cohesive infrastructure and they seem to have manpower issues.

Also, in contrast to WWII, today's munitions are more accurate and a direct strike on the roadbed can cause a great deal more damage than saturation bombing where one of the bombs *may have* struck the bed itself instead of churning up the ground around the roadbed and just damaging the rails.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back