"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (3 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

What is it - a lack of conventional "ground" artillery or an attempt to shoot at longer distances? Or both?

I have seen many many pictures made by just joe soldier that will show that. Water tea flowers, cildren and girls riding tanks

Nothing earth-shattering in this analysis. That said, I'm not sure I agree with the assessment. Certainly a successful drive to the Sea of Azov would be a great tactical victory...but holding on to it when you're surrounded on 2 sides and the adversary has control of the Sea of Azov doesn't sound, to me, like a good position to end the offensive.

KYIV, June 12 (Reuters) - Ukraine said on Monday its troops had recaptured seven villages from Russian forces along an approximately 100-km (60-mile) front in the southeast since starting its long-anticipated counteroffensive last week.

[...]

Despite rain and fierce fighting, Ukrainian forces were making progress on the battlefield, President Volodymyr Zelenskiy said in a video address on Monday night.

"The battles are fierce, but we have movement and that is crucial," Zelenskiy said. "The enemy's losses are exactly what we need."

[...]

On Sunday, Ukraine said its forces heading south had liberated three other nearby villages along the Mokri Yaly: Blahodatne, Neskuchne and Makarivka.

Deputy Defence Minister Hanna Maliar said in a Telegram post late on Monday that Ukrainian forces had also recaptured Levadne and Novodarivka, around 10 km (6 miles) west of the Mokri Yaly, as well as Lobkove, southeast of the city of Zaporizhzhia.

Maliar said troops had advanced a total of 6.5 km and taken control of an area of 90 square kilometres (35 square miles). The reclaimed territory is just a fraction of the 40,000 square miles that remains under Russia's occupation.

[...]

The push is already Ukraine's most rapid advance for seven months, though still short of a major breakthrough.

The furthest advance claimed by Kyiv leaves its forces still some 90 km (55 miles) from the Azov Sea coast and the prize of cutting Russia's "land bridge" to Crimea, the peninsula that Russia seized from Ukraine in 2014, eight years before its full-scale invasion of its neighbour.

[...]

Some Western military analysts said it was too early to draw conclusions, and the skirmishes so far might show Ukraine is still just testing Russian defences.

It seems plain to me that such a broad front implies searching out weak points to hit the weak point with an armored fist. makes sense to me.

24 hours later... Hows that worked out then....? :rolleyes:

Gee, lets see. *Checks maps*

Ukrainian advances and captures ground and settlements south of Velkya Novosilka

Advances and captures ground and settlements near Kreminna

Advances and captures ground north and south of Bakhmut

Advances and captures ground west of Lobkove

Advances and captures ground and settlements south of Orikhiv

Seems like something rather big was in the works. Ukraine launched the opening phases of its counter offensive. In under week, and without committing its 'heavy' assault brigades, the UAF has almost taken back as much territory than Russia managed to take during its entire four month long Winter offensive.

How are them eye-rolls working out for you?

This is a few days old but not sure it's been posted here before...Prigozhin stating that Moscow's claims about recent casualties inflicted on Ukrainian forces are bogus:

The irony inherent in the fact that he is quite possibly the only Russian (quasi-)military figure speaking the truth is staggering............

What sacrifices the people under a totalitarian regime every bit as evil as that of Hitlers, you mean :(

I was re-reading 'The Devils Virtuosos' the other day. So brutalised and decimated were the peoples of the Eastern USSR that they initially garlanded Guderian's tanks with flowers and pressed wine and Vodka into the hands of the Wehrmacht. Many literally saw the Nazis as liberators compared to the oppression and starvation they had suffered under Stalin. That's an incredible but true fact. I've also read the contention that if the Nazis had held off on their atrocities and attitudes of racial superiority over the indigenous population, the populations of the formerly independent nations of the USSR would have willing and eagerly contributed massive manpower and support to the German cause against Russia.

Ask the people of Berlin and other eastern German towns what suffering meant when they were 'liberated' by the Red Army too...
There's still a tang of hypocrisy about the way we lionise the Soviets. 'The enemy of my enemy is my friend' can stretch only too far. The Soviet contribution to allied victory needs to be assessed in proper context. A huge proportion of Europe swapped one horrifyingly brutal dictatorship for another and remained unliberated for a generation. Ask the East Germans. Ask the Poles. The Czechs. Hungarians. etc etc. Their sacrifice was only just beginning at the end of WW2.

That 'token money' was seriously tainted.
I knew an Ukrainian American family whose father had fought in an Ukrainian anti-communist militia. He was lauded as a hero for many years, but a few years ago he was condemned as a Nazi collaborator. History can be fickle.

I'm going to be completely honest in saying that Prigozhin's days are numbered.
Yes, he owns a mercenary group.
Yes, he has an iron body guard.

But never underestimate the KGB FSB and Putin's ire...

He's already crossed the Rubicon. There's no going back for him.

But please, I say, let him keep on. Russians fighting themselves seems like a good idea. I hope his histrionics put a hole in the Russian backside.

According to Russian Twitter feeds, Russian Major General Sergei Goryachev, Chief of Staff of the 35th Combined Arms Army was killed on 12 June by a missile attack by Ukrainian forces.

I think this is the highest ranking Russian officer to be killed in the conflict to date. If so, one can assume he wasn't alone and that other senior officers and key HQ staff were also killed or wounded.

We had quite a run of Russian generals being taken out last year. One can only hope for a repeat in 2023.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back