"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (7 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

According to Russian Twitter feeds, Russian Major General Sergei Goryachev, Chief of Staff of the 35th Combined Arms Army was killed on 12 June by a missile attack by Ukrainian forces.

I think this is the highest ranking Russian officer to be killed in the conflict to date. If so, one can assume he wasn't alone and that other senior officers and key HQ staff were also killed or wounded.

We had quite a run of Russian generals being taken out last year. One can only hope for a repeat in 2023.
Russian source:

View: https://t.me/voenkorKotenok/48441

And google translate:
War takes the best

Heavy fighting all yesterday (June 12) went on almost along the entire line of military contact of the Vostok grouping, especially on the so-called. Vremievsky ledge. The situation is difficult in the defense zone of the 60th and 37th motorized rifle brigades.

As a result of an enemy missile attack, Major General Sergei Goryachev, Chief of Staff of the 35th Combined Arms Army, was killed.

A native of the Airborne Forces, Goryachev served as a soldier in the Kirovabad airborne division, after the RVVDKU he commanded a reconnaissance company, and then a parachute battalion in the 76th division, was the chief of staff of the 108th regiment. In the future, he led our contingent in Transnistria, commanded the 27th Motorized Rifle Brigade, 201st military base in Tajikistan, and a training center in Khabarovsk. Having joined the SVO as the commander of the 5th separate tank brigade, he "grew up" to the deputy commander of the 35th OA (with the rank of major general), was appointed chief of staff of the army.

According to representatives of the command of the United Forces (s), the army today lost one of the brightest and most effective military leaders, who combined the highest professionalism with personal courage.

Combat friends express their condolences to the families and friends of the deceased.

P.S. Unfortunately, it was not possible to find a photograph of the hero in a general's uniform, perhaps one does not exist, in the war there is no time for a photo.

Too much going on to write about, but I've noticed (another) shift in Ukrainian long range artillery targeting priorities in the last couple days.

A lot more claims are being made about hitting Russian communications arrays and command & control points, as well as troop concentrations. There are a lot less claims about counter-battery and attacking other equipment and ammunition storage.

This may suggest that the current nature of the battlefield is resulting in some laxity in Russian command echelons in terms of signals discipline or otherwise revealing their positions.

This probably lines up with the death of that Russian Major General. He was reportedly killed while commanding the BTG sized counter-attack against Makarivka.

Ukrainian sources are saying his headquarters was located by special forces operating behind the lines, who then called in a strike. The 'night work' phase some Ukrainian sources were talking about during early June seems to be having some effects.

How are them eye-rolls working out for you?
Fine, thanks. I'm not going to play armchair general - I've been reading the comments made by the real ones.

"While the capture of the four villages mark the biggest advances of recent days, the settlements are relatively small. Blahodatne had a pre-war population of just 1,000 residents."

These are being widely and consistently described by the media based on military assessments as 'tactical probes' - not the launch of any main offensive as of yet. The 'something big' is yet to come - and as yet - again - no one knows where, or when. Which again, makes perfect sense, seeing as they will be into the teeth of pre-prepared fortifications and earthworks.

So I reserve the right to continue to roll my eyes if people overclaim or swallow the propaganda from either side.

That said, Slava Ukraini !

Another thread on the effects of sanctions on the Russian Military industry.

View: https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/status/1667544167705092097

Thread unrolled for easy reading:

Sanctions work !!!

I found this quote interesting

12/ Accoridng to the Russian state-run newspaper Kommersant, the proportion of defective chips and components from China has increased from 2% to 40% in 2022.

That is a shocking failure rate.

I found this quote interesting

12/ Accoridng to the Russian state-run newspaper Kommersant, the proportion of defective chips and components from China has increased from 2% to 40% in 2022.

That is a shocking failure rate.
Honestly, that surprised me a lot too. 40% is too much even for Chinese. I have a feeling that something got lost in translation.

Probably the original was something like:
The proportion of Chinese origin chips and components (that have a higher rate of defects) has increased from 2% to 40% in 2022.

Honestly, that surprised me a lot too. 40% is too much even for Chinese. I have a feeling that something got lost in translation.

Probably the original was something like:
The proportion of Chinese origin chips and components (that have a higher rate of defects) has increased from 2% to 40% in 2022.
Possibly a case of send them anything even if it doesn't work properly.

Even the best fabricators (Taiwan and USA) only get a rate of less than 10% perfect function in CPU production. These
CPU's go for a premium and are in the highest end computers. The rest may have slight problems with throttling due to
resistance etc right through to being as slow as a wet week for whatever reason. They get cheaper as the quality goes
down.

In the nineties RAM chips that didn't fully work would be sold to manufacturers to put in calculators - a 64K chip in a calc
that only needed 8 to work was a good way to get rid of stuff that wasn't quite there. As time went on these cheaper types
were sold as fully functional even though they weren't. That's why the same amount from one company would cost us $150.00
where the 'cheaper' stuff was as little as $20.00.

China has a small piece of the pie as it is costly to keep up to date and requires expertise. Sending defective chips to Russia isn't
going to lower any reputations as the rest of the world doesn't mind if Russia gets crappy stuff and China is trying to get any
sales they can at the moment. That could be why the defective percentage has gone up.

I decided to go to the source and use google translation. And then is when things got really confusing ... o_O
After the outbreak of hostilities in Ukraine, according to them, the proportion of marriages increased from 2% to 40%.

Now I'm wondering ... is Russian such a weird language the they use same word for marriage and defect .... :tearsofjoy:

Original sentence in Russian:
После начала военных действий на Украине, по их словам, доля брака увеличилась с 2% до 40%.

Possibly a case of send them anything even if it doesn't work properly.

Even the best fabricators (Taiwan and USA) only get a rate of less than 10% perfect function in CPU production. These
CPU's go for a premium and are in the highest end computers. The rest may have slight problems with throttling due to
resistance etc right through to being as slow as a wet week for whatever reason. They get cheaper as the quality goes
down.

In the nineties RAM chips that didn't fully work would be sold to manufacturers to put in calculators - a 64K chip in a calc
that only needed 8 to work was a good way to get rid of stuff that wasn't quite there. As time went on these cheaper types
were sold as fully functional even though they weren't. That's why the same amount from one company would cost us $150.00
where the 'cheaper' stuff was as little as $20.00.

China has a small piece of the pie as it is costly to keep up to date and requires expertise. Sending defective chips to Russia isn't
going to lower any reputations as the rest of the world doesn't mind if Russia gets crappy stuff and China is trying to get any
sales they can at the moment. That could be why the defective percentage has gone up.
If you need it bad, we can make it bad.
The worse you need it, the worse we'll make it.
So, how bad do you need it?

Original sentence in Russian:
После начала военных действий на Украине, по их словам, доля брака увеличилась с 2% до 40%.
In Bulgarian (which is similar to Russian), "брак" (brak) does mean "marriage" or "matrimony", but it can also mean "union" or "waste", depending on the contex.

In this case, бракa would mean "waste" (or in our context waste = failure):
"After the outbreak of hostilities in Ukraine, according to them, the proportion of waste increased from 2% to 40%."

Last edited:
More on the second dam explosion...but from Ukrainian sources. Still haven't seen any wider reporting of this event:

I wonder if the Ukrainians are going to make a move on the Donetsk Oblast? So far this region has been mostly untouched by Ukraine, presumably because it's more urban and heavily populated with separatists, having been in Russian hands since 2014. This region will likely be the hardest to crack.

The Chinese are notorious for selling counterfeit semiconductors; they have been doing that for years. Beware of any public figures about wafer yields. That is a closely held secret in any semiconductor company. It is the measure of success or failure. ex-Burr-Brown Corp & Texas Instruments

The Chinese are notorious for selling counterfeit semiconductors; they have been doing that for years. Beware of any public figures about wafer yields. That is a closely held secret in any semiconductor company. It is the measure of success or failure. ex-Burr-Brown Corp & Texas Instruments
The Chinese are notorious for selling counterfeit everything. A few years ago a UK TV correspondent got into some trouble because he appeared on camera and said that everything he was wearing was designer gear, but counterfeit. The car he was driving was visually identical to a BMW X5 but was counterfeit, the Apple laptop he had bought was counterfeit and the whole store behind him that looked like a western Apple store, was fake.

The reason he officially got into trouble was that nearly everything involved had been challenged in the courts but the Western manufacturers had lost the cases. Therefore as the Chinese courts said that they were not fakes, they weren't.

Isn't that beautiful?

More Bradley for Ukrainia

More:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back