"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

"Thomas Newdick"????? Sounds like a FTM transexual. :rolleyes:
If it's true and Russia has a Leopard 2 tank, we can expect it to be repaired and paraded for the cameras in due course. Just like their captured Panthers.

oersgdg7fqh21.jpg

The only benefit gained from a dead general is a smaller payroll -- and that too must be balanced against his training.

We'll, that rather depends. In a military like that of Russia, which doesn't effectively delegate mission command and which lacks a robust SNCO cadre, then lopping off a general plus his staff can have serious consequences.

Hit enough generals and the remaining ones will change their behavior, perhaps remaining further to the rear, which means they aren't leading from the front, or moving more frequently which hinders command and control and eats up soldiers who have to keep setting up and tearing down the primary and alternate HQs.

We'll, that rather depends. In a military like that of Russia, which doesn't effectively delegate mission command and which lacks a robust SNCO cadre, then lopping off a general plus his staff can have serious consequences.

Hit enough generals and the remaining ones will change their behavior, perhaps remaining further to the rear, which means they aren't leading from the front, or moving more frequently which hinders command and control and eats up soldiers who have to keep setting up and tearing down the primary and alternate HQs.

Those generals who stay back must still produce results. The inability to delegate, requiring leading from the front, is not always a good thing. A good leader indoctrinates subordinates, inculcates mission while allowing independence, and still demands results.

The Russian leadership style demands results. but doesn't seem to foster independent thought, so we see this paucity of useful delegation in many spots.

So killing a general who has not trained his subordinates to think and act for themselves can be a useful headshot. Not always, granted, but there's history behind this, including in Barbarossa.

A general staying back doesn't mean he's a general delegating wisely. I think we're saying more or less the same thing, except I'm not so sure Russian officers are that adaptable, given the political strictures under which they work. Autocratic systems don't tend to encourage independent initiative, which is a problem when your doctrine is so obviously wrong as is the case here.

Those generals who stay back must still produce results. The inability to delegate, requiring leading from the front, is not always a good thing. A good leader indoctrinates subordinates, inculcates mission while allowing independence, and still demands results.

The Russian leadership style demands results. but doesn't seem to foster independent thought, so we see this paucity of useful delegation in many spots.

So killing a general who has not trained his subordinates to think and act for themselves can be a useful headshot. Not always, granted, but there's history behind this, including in Barbarossa.

A general staying back doesn't mean he's a general delegating wisely. I think we're saying more or less the same thing, except I'm not so sure Russian officers are that adaptable, given the political strictures under which they work. Autocratic systems don't tend to encourage independent initiative, which is a problem when your doctrine is so obviously wrong as is the case here.
The Ukrainian method in the last few days reflects the Russian command weakness as they have put in attacks which then create
more signal traffic and movement around communication / HQ points. These are then targeted along with identified scan / radar sites.

Comms / detection and targeting / leadership systems are being hit leaving everybody below wondering what the hell is going on. This
shows a good understanding of the Russian system / mindset by Ukrainian planners.

The Ukrainian method in the last few days reflects the Russian command weakness as they have put in attacks which then create
more signal traffic and movement around communication / HQ points. These are then targeted along with identified scan / radar sites.

Comms / detection and targeting / leadership systems are being hit leaving everybody below wondering what the hell is going on. This
shows a good understanding of the Russian system / mindset by Ukrainian planners.

I wasn't thinking of it from that angle, but yeah, solid point.

I wasn't thinking of it from that angle, but yeah, solid point.
I was saying what you said from the point of view of on the ground activities which shows the accuracy of your post
- e.g. wise delegation to subordinates who are allowed independent initiative - absolutely essential.

Cut the head off the snake and the body will die.

Eisenhower led from across the channel and he had competent generals under him that led from foreward areas. Then there was Patton, who was unique in the fact that yes, he often led from the front lines, but his doctrine was steeped in an earlier philosophy, blended into modern mechanized warfare. Guderian and Rommel would also be comparable examples.

In the 21st century, a modern military does not need a General at the front lines if he has competent Colonels, Majors, Captains, 1Lts (eff 2Lts) and senior NCOs to carry out the planned objective.

Does the Russian army have an equivalent to Western NCOs? I can't imagine a newly commissioned lieutenant deferring to their battle hardened sergeant.
No they haven't, officers have to perform missions that our NCOs could perfectly assume.
And many of their NCOs are simply conscripts raised from the rank by seniority.
As this explains the violent hazing.

Does the Russian army have an equivalent to Western NCOs? I can't imagine a newly commissioned lieutenant deferring to their battle hardened sergeant.

In a word...no. Russia has been trying to build up a cadre of professional SNCOs ever since the end of the Cold War. They've only been partially successful. The Soviet military relied on force overmatch to win. It didn't matter if the individual soldiers were well-trained and innovative if they had enough force to just steamroller the opposition. The problem is that, since the end of the Cold War, Russia has persisted in the "steamroller" approach but they're only manned and equipped for a Ford Fiesta...and that smaller force hasn't transitioned to be more agile and flexible, with true delegation of mission command...which goes all the way down to the SNCO.

Rumors are rumors, but one can dream ...

"Rumors persist that Moldovan President Maia Sandu has given Zelenskyy permission to cross Moldova's border and attack Transnistria in order to capture the Cobasna Ammunition Depot."

Nope they never have, and that is a massive disadvantage. Officers give orders, but NCOs make it happen. In the Russian (Soviet as well) military, you take out the officers and the soldiers become disorganized and lost.

There is a reason NCOs are known as the "Backbone of the Army" in the US Army.

The NCO Creed

No one is more professional than I. I am a noncommissioned officer, a leader of Soldiers. As a noncommissioned officer, I realize that I am a member of a time honored corps, which is known as "The Backbone of the Army." I am proud of the Corps of Noncommissioned Officers, and will at all times conduct myself so as to bring credit upon the Corps, the military service, and my country; regardless of the situation in which I find myself. I will not use my grade or position to attain pleasure, profit, or personal safety.

Competence is my watch-word. My two basic responsibilities will always be uppermost in my mind – accomplishment of my mission and the welfare of my Soldiers. I will strive to remain technically and tactically proficient. I am aware of my role as a noncommissioned officer, I will fulfill my responsibilities inherent in that role. All Soldiers are entitled to outstanding leadership; I will provide that leadership. I know my Soldiers, and I will always place their needs above my own. I will communicate consistently with my Soldiers, and never leave them uninformed. I will be fair and impartial when recommending both rewards and punishment.

Officers of my unit will have maximum time to accomplish their duties; they will not have to accomplish mine. I will earn their respect and confidence as well as that of my Soldiers. I will be loyal to those with whom I serve; seniors, peers, and subordinates alike. I will exercise initiative by taking appropriate action in the absence of orders. I will not compromise my integrity, nor my moral courage. I will not forget, nor will I allow my comrades to forget that we are professionals, noncommissioned officers, leaders!

Rumors are rumors, but one can dream ...

"Rumors persist that Moldovan President Maia Sandu has given Zelenskyy permission to cross Moldova's border and attack Transnistria in order to capture the Cobasna Ammunition Depot."
My feeling is that whatever we read about in the media concerning what may happen is almost certainly not what's going to happen. The Ukrainians are playing mind games.

The Russians in Transnistria are landlocked, surrounded on all sides by Ukrainian and Moldovan forces, unable to contribute to the invasion of Ukraine nor to support the Russian efforts to slow the Ukrainian counteroffensive. Just leave them there, just as the Soviets left the Germans in the Courland Pocket in western Latvia, ignored until forced to surrender separately in May 1945.

Last edited:
I bet the russian soldiers in Transnistria are somwhat happy not having to fight (and die) in Ukraine.
The germans in Courland pocket were bypassed but not ignored, Soviets threw considerable (but not massive) forces against them trying to mop them up but failed multiple time due to stiff resistance.

In fact in the US military if the officers go down, the NCOs are perfectly capable of completing a mission and leading their men.
I assume this goes for all Western militaries? What about the Chinese, South Koreans or Japanese? The latter two would be more Westernized I assume.

Colour sergeant, later Lieutenant-Colonel Frank Bourne OBE DCM is my all time favourite NCO depicted in film.

BBC has a scrolling feed on Ukraine today (https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-europe-65898762). Here are a few tidbits:

Reports that a top Chechen paramilitary commander has been injured are of "great concern", the Kremlin says.
Responding to questions about the health of Adam Delimkhanov, Russian presidential spokesman Dmitry Peskov urged reporters to wait for "real truthful information".
Earlier, a post from Zvezda TV - which is run by Russia's defence ministry - said Delimkhanov sustained injuries but was alive.
The circumstances remain unclear, and the BBC has been unable to verify the report.
Ukraine considers Delimkhanov to be the head of Chechen volunteer units fighting in Ukraine, and a close ally of Chechen leader Ramzan Kadyrov.

Belarusian leader Alexander Lukashenko says Belarus would enter the conflict in Ukraine if there was aggression against the country, Russian state-owned news agency Tass reports.
He also says that his country has started taking delivery of Russian tactical nuclear weapons - shorter-range, less powerful nuclear weapons that could potentially be used on the battlefield.
A close ally of Russian President Vladimir Putin, Lukashenko claimed that some of the weapons are three times more powerful than the atomic bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki in the Second World War in 1945.
Lukashenko, who has allowed Russian forces to use his country as a base in the invasion of Ukraine, has said the nuclear deployment would act as a deterrent against potential aggressors.
The deployment is Moscow's first move of such warheads outside Russia since the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991.

We told you earlier that a visit to the Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant by the head of the UN's nuclear watchdog appeared to have been delayed. Rafael Grossi was planning to check nearby water levels after a major dam breach on 6 June caused levels in a reservoir to fall.
It's worth explaining that the power plant has shut down four reactors since last September, amid fighting - after Russian troops occupied the area including the power plant itself.
The power plant needs a certain level of water to keep the reactors in cool shutdown - in other words to reduce the residual heat from the shutdown reactors, to cool the spent fuel, and to cool the emergency diesel generators if the plant loses off-site power.
Satellite images from before and after the incident showed how sharply water levels have dropped in the Dnipro river

There's a lot going on, with Ukraine claiming further limited advances in the Bakhmut area. Still no news of a major breakthrough, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back