"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (6 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The only thing I will add is that the SNCO is also a leader. Usually a leader with way more experience than the officer leader, but paid way less. In fact underpaid.
I very much agree and didn't mean to insinuate otherwise. I was trying to make it interchangeable with the civilian world.

I deployed to Desert Shield as a 1Lt with two NCOs of about my age. We had worked together previously and they were the two best NCOs in the unit. I asked and they were very good at teaching me what I needed to know.

The only SNCO I ever had a run in with was the Command SGT MAJOR for my attached unit. Myself and another 1Lt had a talk with him and he wasn't a problem again. Needless to say our Enlisted guys were very happy (he had been sh!tt!ng on them for no reason while awaiting transport on the docks of Damman). Some people make their own drama…

The only thing I will add is that the SNCO is also a leader. Usually a leader with way more experience than the officer leader, but paid way less. In fact underpaid.

Depends on the military. In the US military, I'd entirely agree. Finding out that my USAF MSgts were paid less than a butter-bar was a shock. In the Brit military, the SNCOs are much better paid, with a FSgt making about the same as a Flt Lt (O-3), while a WO makes the same as an newly-promoted Sqn Ldr (O-4). A Plt Off (O-1) is only paid about half of a FSgt's salary. It's still not great but way better than the US military.

Depends on the military. In the US military, I'd entirely agree. Finding out that my USAF MSgts were paid less than a butter-bar was a shock. In the Brit military, the SNCOs are much better paid, with a FSgt making about the same as a Flt Lt (O-3), while a WO makes the same as an newly-promoted Sqn Ldr (O-4). A Plt Off (O-1) is only paid about half of a FSgt's salary. It's still not great but way better than the US military.

Yeah, I was speaking purely from the US military point of view.

Are you suggesting that a newly-commissioned officer would ignore the advice of an experienced SNCO?
While I applaude your creative paraphrasing, you're omitting the subject of my post.
Does the Russian army have an equivalent to Western NCOs? I can't imagine a newly commissioned lieutenant deferring to their battle hardened sergeant.
I am asking about the Russian army and the relationship between a hypothetical newly commissioned lieutenant and an experienced sergeant, and positing that in the Russian military culture I would not foresee our lieutenant consulting his sergeant.

Last edited:
Nova Kakhopka is draining fast.

Fyl3qpzXwAI0CWu.jpg

When it dries it may open new possibilities. Either new crossing options or even flanking (see below)

INTERACTIVE-NOVA-KAKHOVKA-DAM-JUNE7-2023-a-1686130471.jpg

Even if the Ukrainians do not attempt a Dnipro crossing or flanking through the reservoir bed, Russians have to consider it. Which creates about 200 Km of new undefended front-line.

I am asking about the Russian army and the relationship between a hypothetical newly commissioned lieutenant and an experienced sergeant, and positing that in the Russian military culture I would not foresee our lieutenant consulting his sergeant.

Well, as noted multiple times, the Russian army doesn't really have an experienced SNCO cadre so your question is impossible to answer. Frankly, I'm pretty sure a lieutenant would only do the thing he was ordered to do by his seniors. It's part of the mindset of not enabling mission command. In Western militaries, mission command is delegated to the lowest possible level. In the Russian army, it seems things don't get delegated below the level of a colonel...and that's a huge problem. Thus, the whole idea of a Russian lieutenant asking his sergeant for advice is probably an anathema because both would be entirely in the dark as to the requirements of the mission.

With naked ass against the whole World

A strategic planning meeting in the Kremlin: 'There are two crucial questions on the table: providing military personnel with a socks, and establishing of the World domination. Since the socks' question seems unsolvable let's go straight to the second point.'

With naked ass against the whole World

A strategic planning meeting in the Kremlin: 'There are two crucial questions on the table: providing military personnel with a socks, and establishing of the World domination. Since the socks' question seems unsolvable let's go straight to the second point.'
One of the totally useless pieces of information I have picked up over the years relates to this posting, in an odd kind of way.

Until approx 10 years ago Russian infantry were not issued with socks. They had a piece of material issued to them that when folded, was used as a sock.

There was a BBC program where Russia let a unit in following the basic training give to new recruits, and that was the most unexpected bit that I recall

One of the totally useless pieces of information I have picked up over the years relates to this posting, in an odd kind of way.

Until approx 10 years ago Russian infantry were not issued with socks. They had a piece of material issued to them that when folded, was used as a sock.

There was a BBC program where Russia let a unit in following the basic training give to new recruits, and that was the most unexpected bit that I recall
It was called the Russian sock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back