"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

"in active service with the forces of the Kyiv regime"
what's this for a tone in the armyrecognition article about the T-80UE-1?

This is the one I like the most

Russian "Vostok" Battalion Commander Alexander Khodakovsky stated that Ukrainian forces can conduct strikes against the full depth of defending Russian forces and that these strikes are killing Russian commanders and degrading Russian command and control

I might be optimistic here but this seems to say a number of things.

a) Ukraine in at least one area have reached the main defences.
b) That they have been able to get their artillery close enough to attack any part of the defence
c) That Russia are i) losing the artillery battle and ii) The Russian Airforce are not able to intervene in any meaningful manner,
d) There is a good chance that once the headquarters have been neutralised then local supply dumps and strongpoints will be next.

That point was actually why I decided to post the paragraph here, right. It seems to me that in driving south, the Ukrainians are constricting rear areas and this suggests to me that Russian forces are going to be facing some serious supply-chain issues before too long.

And yes, we may both be optimistic, but that's okay.

Never underestimate the ability of a comedian to think on his feet.
I watched a few episodes of his show "Servant Of The People". His character is a teacher, not a comedian. The character is swept into office after one of his students posts him ranting against the government, which goes viral.

Last edited:
I watched a few episodes of his show "Sevant Of The People". His character is a teacher, not a comedian. The character is swept into office after one of his students posts him ranting against the government, which goes viral.

No, but he's done stand-up and improv comedy live. That takes more guts than hiding behind a guitar stage-left and hoping not to muff the solo! Live, no net, that teaches you to be quick.

This is the one I like the most

Russian "Vostok" Battalion Commander Alexander Khodakovsky stated that Ukrainian forces can conduct strikes against the full depth of defending Russian forces and that these strikes are killing Russian commanders and degrading Russian command and control

I might be optimistic here but this seems to say a number of things.

a) Ukraine in at least one area have reached the main defences.
b) That they have been able to get their artillery close enough to attack any part of the defence
c) That Russia are i) losing the artillery battle and ii) The Russian Airforce are not able to intervene in any meaningful manner,
d) There is a good chance that once the headquarters have been neutralised then local supply dumps and strongpoints will be next.
And Ukraine has the intel to know where the senior commanders are. That's more than just drones and sigint, but likely partisans or spec ops.

No, but he's done stand-up and improv comedy live. That takes more guts than hiding behind a guitar stage-left and hoping not to muff the solo! Live, no net, that teaches you to be quick.
Ain't arguing. Comedians are my gods. I wasn't disputing him being a comedian. Have you seen him play piano? The character he plays on his TV show is a teacher. Teachers ain't cowards either.

Ain't arguing. Comedians are my gods. I wasn't disputing him being a comedian. Have you seen him play piano? The character he plays on his TV show is a teacher. Teachers ain't cowards either.

Oh, I don't watch TV. Well okay, a low-brow game show or two, but ...

He did those too!

That's funny, what with his grunty voice. He sounds like he gargles gravel every morning.

You may have seen the clip about ten months ago where he was asked about being a comic and he admitted that it seemed a lifetime ago, and the jokes would be different. The interviewer asked him if he could give an example.

He said two Russians were talking, one a General and he was asked by the other 'How is it going' the reply was 'Terrible, the entire world seems to be against us, were fighting Ukraine and the whole of NATO' 'That's awful, what are the losses', He replied '200,000 troops dead and wounded, 2000 tanks lost, more armour and Artillery' . Oh my God that's unbelievable, what about NATO?, The General paused and said, 'They haven't turned up yet'.

This was done when Russia was telling it's people that the war was taking longer because Russia was fighting Ukraine and NATO. What impressed me was the interview was done during an air raid and it was in an underground railway station and you could see the people behind getting on and off the trains.

I found it impressive and apologise if my memory isn't word perfect but the gist is right.

Nothing really new in this article but I was intrigued by the headline. Unsurprisingly, Putin sees problems with Russia turning to the negotiating table while Ukraine is on the offensive...completely ignoring the fact that Ukraine is on the offensive INSIDE its own territory and that Ukraine wouldn't need to be fighting if Russia hadn't invaded:

You may have seen the clip about ten months ago where he was asked about being a comic and he admitted that it seemed a lifetime ago, and the jokes would be different. The interviewer asked him if he could give an example.

He said two Russians were talking, one a General and he was asked by the other 'How is it going' the reply was 'Terrible, the entire world seems to be against us, were fighting Ukraine and the whole of NATO' 'That's awful, what are the losses', He replied '200,000 troops dead and wounded, 2000 tanks lost, more armour and Artillery' . Oh my God that's unbelievable, what about NATO?, The General paused and said, 'They haven't turned up yet'.

This was done when Russia was telling it's people that the war was taking longer because Russia was fighting Ukraine and NATO. What impressed me was the interview was done during an air raid and it was in an underground railway station and you could see the people behind getting on and off the trains.

I found it impressive and apologise if my memory isn't word perfect but the gist is right.

It reminds me of the meeting between Molotov and Ribbentrop that had to be moved to an air-raid bunker, in November 1940. Ribbentrop was trying to get the USSR into the Tripartite Pact by telling Molotov that the Brits were already beaten. Replied Molotov, "If so, why are we in this shelter, and whose bombs are these falling?"

Russia has entered a dangerous new phase of its war against Ukraine since it exited the Black Sea grain deal earlier this month, weaponizing global food exports, stepping up attacks on Ukrainian ports and cities and increasing the risk of spillover into NATO countries.

Russia's escalation is unlikely to deter the U.S. and allies from following through on delivering F-16 fighter jets and long-range missiles to Ukraine in the coming months, which Moscow has repeatedly warned against.

But it comes as Ukraine is struggling to make major gains in its grinding counteroffensive, and Russia's strategy appears aimed at straining U.S. and European partners who have provided billions in assistance to Ukraine over the course of 16 months.

"Certainly, it's an escalation," said Thomas Graham, a distinguished fellow with the Council on Foreign Relations and who served as a senior director for Russia on the National Security Council under former President George W. Bush.

"Russia, I think, is clearly making an effort to continue to deepen the damage to the Ukrainian economy," he added. "It has implications for Ukraine's ability to continue the war effort, it raises concerns about attacks on NATO territory … so it's a reason to be concerned."

Since pulling out of the Black Sea grain deal July 17, Russian President Vladimir Putin has targeted attacks on Ukraine's southern city of Odesa, damaging the seaport and grain storage facilities and hitting residential and historical buildings, including an Orthodox cathedral.

The grain deal, negotiated by the United Nations and Turkey, allowed for the export of Ukrainian grain through a Russian blockade on the Black Sea, clearing the way for 33 million metric tons of foodstuffs to move across the world, largely to developing countries, since it took effect in July 2022.

But now, Putin is warning he views commercial ships in the Black Sea as legitimate military targets. The U.S. and the United Kingdom are warning Russia is plotting "false flag operations," covertly mining the sea with the purpose of blaming Ukraine for any explosions.

So I was thinking about this earlier. I'm at the point where I think we should tell Putin, "We are sending these ships along this route and if you take action against them we will weigh in."

I've had a couple of beers tonight, so go easy on me if I'm that wrong. But I believe in calling bluffs. I'm probably going wrong, but where am I going wrong?

During the Battle of the North Atlantic, a crap ton of civilian shipping sailed into a hot war zone delivering Lend-Lease equipment. Some kind of insurance and hazardous duty pay arrangements had to be set up.
Things might get interesting if a Turkish flagged ship were to be troubled.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back