"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Helping in a small way:

Image 31-7-2023 at 4.11 am.jpg

beta&t=7lpi3-F4owLemiHd4y6eq17lv9ugPqdqZIsRDovosS8.jpg

USS Nitze (DDG-94) visited Gölük Naval base near Istanbul on 3 February 2023 - last time I checked, USS Nitze was a USN warship...

Turkey has restricted all non-Black Sea based warships from all navies as a matter of choice, the convention clearly defines transit denial based on belligerant nations.

And, to add to this, as mentioned already, there is no declared war, a "special military operation" does not activate the convention.

Turkey chose to restrict military traffic to prevent escalation.
The difference is that the USS Nitze was invited. Before the fall of the USSR, Soviet Navy ships visited, among other places, San Diego (see From the Archives: Soviet warships visited San Diego 30 years ago) and Boston (Soviet Sailors in Boston and Americans in Leningrad: First Exchange Visit in 30 Years (Published 1975))

USS Nitze (DDG-94) visited Gölük Naval base near Istanbul on 3 February 2023 - last time I checked, USS Nitze was a USN warship...

Turkey has restricted all non-Black Sea based warships from all navies as a matter of choice, the convention clearly defines transit denial based on belligerant nations.

The question is will the Turks give permission to transit -- because that is the crux of the matter. Me, I don't think Erdogan would approve, given what a twat he's been in NATO the last 18 months.

Don't disagree….but what could he do to stop any British or American warship from entering the Black Sea? He can't exactly open fire on it.

He could pull support for NATO and cause a diplomatic row which undercuts its credibility. He could withdraw his support for Sweden's accession; that formal vote only takes place later this year. He could withdraw from NATO altogether if he really wanted to feel his oats. He could aid Russia in Syria, allowing them to divert more forces to Ukraine. He could court Iran in trying to smash the Kurds there too. He could provide sanctions-relief for both Iran and Russia.

So while he probably wouldn't take direct military measures to stop such a transit (though he would legally be in the right), he's got some tools in the toolbox, and these tools are known in other capitals too.

Don't disagree….but what could he do to stop any British or American warship from entering the Black Sea? He can't exactly open fire on it.
I'll repeat, after its seizure from the Ottomans, the Bosporus and Istanbul should have never have been handed to the Turks by the Wallies.
Forget the Treaty of Lausanne. The Wallies keep the territory.

Logs would make a passible armour layer for some weapons.

I found this short sentence to be interesting and again I might be reading too much into it.

Source Reuters

A senior Ukrainian official reported heavy fighting in the northeast of the country on Sunday, with Kyiv's forces holding their lines and making gains in some areas.
Russia's military said it had halted Ukrainian forces in the northeast

I found this interesting as I thought that in the North East, Russia was doing the attacking with the 100,000 men and 900 tanks. It this is correct, then it implies that Ukraine have held the attack and are pushing Russia back in places.

A very dangerous blowhard.

Perhaps. It's hard to take Kremlin threats with a straight face, any more.

Meanwhile:

The lack of Russian milblogger reaction to a Ukrainian strike on the Chonhar bridge represents a notable inflection in Russian reporting on the war in Ukraine and may suggest that the Kremlin has directed Russian milbloggers to refrain from covering certain topics. The Ukrainian Armed Forces announced on July 29 that Ukrainian forces successfully struck the Chonhar bridge on the M-18 (Dzhankoi-Melitopol) highway between occupied Crimea and occupied Kherson Oblast.[1] ISW has not observed any Russian milblogger discussion about the Ukrainian strike or Russian milbloggers promoting Kherson Oblast occupation administration head Vladimir Saldo's claim that Russian forces intercepted 12 Ukrainian Strom Shadow cruise missiles targeting the bridge.[2] The only other Russian source to comment on the strikes was a local Russian news Telegram channel, which amplified alleged claims from Russian tourists in the area about the bridge being closed to traffic.[3] Russian milbloggers responded to a Ukrainian strike on the Chonhar bridge on June 22 with widespread outrage and concern, and Russian milbloggers routinely comment on both successful and allegedly unsuccessful Ukrainian strikes on Russian logistics.[4] The Chonhar bridge is a notable bottleneck along a critical Russian ground line of communication (GLOC), and it is highly unlikely that Russian milbloggers would voluntarily ignore a successful or unsuccessful Ukrainian strike on the bridge. ISW has previously assessed that select Russian milbloggers may be shaping their coverage of the war in Ukraine in ways more favorable to Kremlin narratives out of fear of Kremlin punishment following the removal of prominent critical voices in the Russian information space, particularly pro-war critic Igor Girkin and Wagner Group financier Yevgeny Prigozhin.[5] General fear of Kremlin punishment would not likely result in such near-universal lack of coverage of a dramatic event, however, and it is more likely that a specific Kremlin directive not to cover disruptions to critical GLOCs caused this lack of reporting.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back