"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (6 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

With about ninety to one hundred days until the first Ukrainian snowfall of autumn/winter 2023/2024, I think we must accept that Ukraine's anticipated big spring 2023 offensive where they retake Melitopol and/or reach the border with Crimea will occur in spring/summer 2024. Until then I envision that the ever-strengthening AFU will continue chipping away at Russia's defensive wall and conducting ever deeper PGM strikes against Russian logistics and command centres, while slowly yet consistently moving forward so that the AFU can overwinter closer to their 2024 objectives.

So, what do the opposing AFU and Russian forces look like when the Rasputitsa dries up in May/June 2024? Will Ukraine have ATACMS, Abrams and Vipers? NATO's production of artillery shells should be well up to speed. How about more mine clearing and breakthrough kit for Ukraine? And what of Russia?

Autumn didn't seem to stop the Ukrainians last year. I had previously written essentially what you've offered above.

It says a lot that Russia were ready and waiting. They were able to spring the Ambush from well prepared positions and hit the Ukraine forces hard, but still lost. The Ukraine forces involved were in a nightmare scenario and still came out on top.

This was an unusually well prepared Russian defence and lets all hope that this will not be the norm. I like to think that it won't be the norm because Ukraine will analyse and learn.

As an aside I would like to know what he was riding in. It hit a landmine, then a direct hit from presumably some form of anti tank missile, and still everyone was all right.

With about ninety to one hundred days until the first Ukrainian snowfall of autumn/winter 2023/2024, I think we must accept that Ukraine's anticipated big spring 2023 offensive where they retake Melitopol and/or reach the border with Crimea will occur in spring/summer 2024. Until then I envision that the ever-strengthening AFU will continue chipping away at Russia's defensive wall and conducting ever deeper PGM strikes against Russian logistics and command centres, while slowly yet consistently moving forward so that the AFU can overwinter closer to their 2024 objectives.

So, what do the opposing AFU and Russian forces look like when the Rasputitsa dries up in May/June 2024? Will Ukraine have ATACMS, Abrams and Vipers? NATO's production of artillery shells should be well up to speed. How about more mine clearing and breakthrough kit for Ukraine? And what of Russia? Presumably they'll spend the winter further constructing their defensive wall.
I pretty much agree with you and Thump. I hope there is a serious collapse in the Russian lines and the AFU can close the distance to Crimea, cutting off the land bridge. If the land bridge could be made untenable and the Kerch Bridge's utility be further restricted, it would strengthen Ukraine's position in the eyes of the West. Ideally this must happen before Putin is gone. A replacement tsar could sound "reasonable" by saying "we pull out of Luhansk (Donbas too?) but we keep Crimea." I could see the less committed allies caving in to that. If Ukraine has demonstrably cut off Crimea (the water supply is already cut), establish a bridgehead by the Nova Kakhovka dessert as well as closing in on Berdiansk or Mariupol, I could see a more united western front.

I pretty much agree with you and Thump. I hope there is a serious collapse in the Russian lines and the AFU can close the distance to Crimea, cutting off the land bridge. If the land bridge could be made untenable and the Kerch Bridge's utility be further restricted, it would strengthen Ukraine's position in the eyes of the West. Ideally this must happen before Putin is gone. A replacement tsar could sound "reasonable" by saying "we pull out of Luhansk (Donbas too?) but we keep Crimea." I could see the less committed allies caving in to that. If Ukraine has demonstrably cut off Crimea (the water supply is already cut), establish a bridgehead by the Nova Kakhovka dessert as well as closing in on Berdiansk or Mariupol, I could see a more united western front.
I agree with a lot of what has been said and we all agree that logistics is the big issue. If the railway bridge can be broken and the key parts of the land bridge be restricted that Russia will find it difficult to supply the population and armed forces in Crimea. A long cold winter with few supplies might well end the Russian resolve.
The population of Crimea was about 2.2 million in Sept 2014, you cannot supply that many people over the winter, using roads alone.

Regarding the supply of ammunition to Ukraine the UK will increase its production capacity of 155mm shells eight fold from the end of September. As long as we are willing to spend the money on the orders I think Ukraine should have enough with everyone else chipping in

Last edited:
I didn't think in the post-Royal Arsenal et al era the Brits had any artillery production capability left. Certainly nothing like the below?

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UgShcXoqHcU&pp=ygUXdXMgYXJ0aWxsZXJ5IHByb2R1Y3Rpb24%3D

No we have always kept a minimum production for the heavy Artillery shells but BAe have been given a £400 m order for ammunition and this has enabled them to modernise one production line introduce a new production line.
Other ammunition orders include the 5.56 and 30mm ammunition the later of which had stopped production as the Warrior was being withdrawn. However Ukraine do use the Rarden and the need has become obvious

I didn't think in the post-Royal Arsenal et al era the Brits had any artillery production capability left. Certainly nothing like the below?

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UgShcXoqHcU&pp=ygUXdXMgYXJ0aWxsZXJ5IHByb2R1Y3Rpb24%3D

Really? You're comparing the US which has 6 times the population, 6 times the GDP, and goodness knows how much larger in physical land mass when compared to the UK. Hardly a balanced analysis of the situation.

The Brits can build 2 aircraft carriers, develop their own tanks, armoured fighting vehicles and artillery, their own light weapons, they have one of the largest jet engine companies in the world, and have major stakes in aircraft design, engineering, and manufacture...and yet you thought they couldn't make their own ammunition?

Your comment really is quite startling in its apparent belief that the UK and US are even in the same league when it comes to weapon production capacity.

Really? You're comparing the US which has 6 times the population, 6 times the GDP, and goodness knows how much larger in physical land mass when compared to the UK. Hardly a balanced analysis of the situation.

The Brits can build 2 aircraft carriers, develop their own tanks, armoured fighting vehicles and artillery, their own light weapons, they have one of the largest jet engine companies in the world, and have major stakes in aircraft design, engineering, and manufacture...and yet you thought they couldn't make their own ammunition?

Your comment really is quite startling in its apparent belief that the UK and US are even in the same league when it comes to weapon production capacity.
We make damned good ice cream too!

I think Putin is definitely living in a fantasy world. One of the comments he made yesterday was that the Russian Navy would receive 30 new ships this year. I don't quite know where he is getting his ships from.
My estimate is that since 2000, the Russian navy has received about six to seven new ships each year, which on the face of it, is good going. However when you consider that approx 80 of the 159 ships weigh about 100 tons (52 patrol boats and 28 landing craft) it becomes less impressive.

The question is how can he ramp up from 6 to 30 ships a year, when on average half of the six weighed in at about 100 tons?

The answer is of course, he cannot. Ships cost money, demand resources, complex technology, plus of course people to build and man them, none of which he has to spare.

People in desperate situations tend to make desperate claims, and this is only one of many. It's one his Admirals know isn't achievable and this with the other comments we hear about what his senior officers think of him, isn't going to help him in any way

Canoes converted to drones like the Ukrainians have been doing these past 500+ days

Your comment really is quite startling
Untie your knickers there my boy. I'm saying I didn't know the British had any capacity to produce 155mm rounds, and am wondering what it looks like, and suggesting that it wouldn't compare to the US, for the reasons of scale you and the rest of us are aware of. Settle down, have a pint and enjoy the summer evening. Sheesh, some come here for interesting convo, others come to knock others down. The choice is yours.

Here's the useful, and dare I say it congenial reply you could have written, plus a relevant article and informative video tour of the facility:

"BAE produces NATO-standard 155mm artillery rounds at its Washington plant in the North East of England and assembles them in Glascoed, Wales."

Last edited:

If Ukraine can isolate Crimea, starving them out is a matter of time. I see this attack as a step in that direction ("Gosh, now you've got two bridges to fix"). There's two other routes to supply Crimea, both running past the Azov Sea and reliant upon the Russians holding the roadnet in Zaporizhia. The Ukrainians have damaged the Kerch Bridge, now have the next-closest bridge to the west stuffed, and have two more routes to shut down.

I believe this is not an accident. I think they're isolating Crimea's supply-lines in preparation for an attack to be set up when the southern offensive compresses the supply lines sufficiently.

Read a statement earlier made by the Ukraine MoD, who stated that the "main" part of their offensive has not been launched yet. He stated (as he has earlier) "you'll know it when you see it".

So as has been mentioned here a while back, it appears that Ukraine is probing and pressuring Russian lines all across the board as a precursor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back