"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (4 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The Russians have shown skill in fighting on a shoestring budget, which should not be undersold. I think the real question is if they pursue Ardiviika this winter as they attacked Bakhmut last year.

Will it distract the Ukrainians from driving on the Sea of Azov? And how long can the Russians afford to throw men into meatgrinders?

IMO, the Russians are using Avdiivka in the same way as Bakhmut; as a distraction where they'll send in waves of convicts that pushes Ukraine from their main offensive in Zaporizhzhia to primarily defence in Donetsk; giving Russia another season to further fortify their holdings around Tokmak.

I wonder if Ukraine would have been better off to accede Bakhmut and instead driven for Tokmak before all of Zaporizhzhia oblast was turned into a minefield.

Last edited:
As long as they not call op moskovitch it will be all right. That is the power temple.
The rest is expendible paper wipes. It does not count.

I am surprised that the HAWK system is still around. Good Grief, After Nuclear Weapons Ordnance Electronics school in Ft Monmouth, NJ, I was assigned ti a HAWK unit in Redstone, AL. We had fewer than 10 people, no equipment or manuals to study and spent our days on KP or picking up cigarette butts. This was the end of 1960... nobody could tell us when we would receive any equipment so I went to personnel to see about a transfer. Some MAJ finally looked at my 201 file and said that I belonged in a school. I was then enrolled in the Corporal Ground Guidance Electronics course in the Ordnance Guided Missile School (OGMS). That was a LONG time ago...and the HAWK is still around?

I am surprised that the HAWK system is still around. Good Grief, After Nuclear Weapons Ordnance Electronics school in Ft Monmouth, NJ, I was assigned ti a HAWK unit in Redstone, AL. We had fewer than 10 people, no equipment or manuals to study and spent our days on KP or picking up cigarette butts. This was the end of 1960... nobody could tell us when we would receive any equipment so I went to personnel to see about a transfer. Some MAJ finally looked at my 201 file and said that I belonged in a school. I was then enrolled in the Corporal Ground Guidance Electronics course in the Ordnance Guided Missile School (OGMS). That was a LONG time ago...and the HAWK is still around?

In France, the Hawk was removed from the service on april 2012.

Dad worked on Hawks and Hawk IIs in Iran from 74-78. My understanding is that upgrades have extended useful life. I hope the Ukrainians give them a useful send-off.

I'm surprised it's still around too. I remember reading about it when I was an adolescent.

Back in the day, the HAWK system was a very effective low- altitude air defense system. The launcher had a slew rate that was phenomenal since it had to follow aircraft that were streaking overhead at high speed. After I left Huntsville I heard about a Hawk accident that happened at OGMS- A tech was trouble shooting the servo in a launcher so he turned the system on and walked over to the launcher and peered into the pedestal. There was a big error in its azimuth commend and when the vacuum tubes warmed up, the launcher spun around violently and took his head off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back