"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again."

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

what you are thinking about "icebreaker" book - is Suvorov properly compelling facts in your opinion? - for many of his thesis sounds at least plausible..
I could speak for hours about Viktor Suvorov...
Briefly and in my humble opinion. He was right in his principle thesis but made plenty of errors, some technical, some logical in his first book. Not completely his own fault since he did not have access to the Soviet archives. It was like the discovery of Neptune - the mathematical prediction before the factual observation. He was criticised, laughed at, etc. Ironically, later on, many of his Russian critics silently agreed with his thesis about the Red Army preparations in 1941.

i tend to agree with you - this stuff is full of BS

As an American with some knowledge but clearly without y'all's perspective, would either one of you be so kind as to go into further detail? It's not that I disagree; I just want a better understanding from folks who've lived there either directly or in the region.

that was exactly my impression after reading

I worked with a Lithuanian Russophile for years, lovely guy, married to a Ukrainian girl. He was very much in the Russian camp during the Donbass conflict, made a for a few awkward conversations at work. I had to stop engaging because he only heard the Pravda version of events, like the one that stated that MH-17 was shot down by a Ukrainian Su-25 (!) for example. I wonder what he feels about this little endeavor...

Well... It's hard to explain without writing 100 pages thesis and risking breaking the forum's rules...
In my firm opinion, Stone's film was biased and in some instances wrong in facts. I'd recommend instead the works of Timothy Snyder on the same topic. He is a real expert in East European history and politics. Or articles by Anders Aslund, an economist but well versed in many aspects of modern Ukraine and the Russian Federation.

Thanks for the tips ... I've got some reading/viewing to do.

I think Dimlee is perfect person to answer on your question in details - in short words: for me Vlad is next incarnation of red tsar (little bit like Stalin or Brezhnev were), equally power hungry as his predecessors, only difference is that he has no ideology just he is master of manipulation - this is his KGB's DNA. He told to Mr.Stone exactly what he expected to hear - bravo - masterpiece. Mr. Stone even didn't analyzed facts why all this countries from ex-soviet influence zone so hard pushed for NATO membership. In Poland public referendum for NATO membership approval has ended with 88% voting peoples supporting this decision and around 50% participation from authorized voters side.

In Poland public referendum for NATO membership approval has ended with 88% voting peoples supporting this decision and around 50% participation from authorized voters side.
So the anti-NATO voters boycotted the referendum?

All of this is too much like the war in Bosnia, but at an even more skewed ratio between the forces. Poor souls on the receiving end. If Ukrainian forces manage to withstand the onslaught next 5 days, that will be a major miracle.

no - in democratic countries 40-60% participation in voting is normal one - huge portion of societies in each country is called "politically inactive". In well developed democracies like Belarus or Russia this number is going behind 95%. By the way i always been wonder about this 12% - my theory is that it was part of voters who already celebrated membership and had serious difficulties with reading not mentioning with putting cross in correct box - but this is normal after couple shoots of Zhubrovka.

All of this is too much like the war in Bosnia, but at an even more skewed ratio between the forces. Poor souls on the receiving end. If Ukrainian forces manage to withstand the onslaught next 5 days, that will be a major miracle.

Sad to say I agree with you; regular Ukrainian forces will likely be crushed soon.

Ukrainians are extremely though peoples with great love for freedom - don't underestimate them

I don't. I think the multiple vectors of attack will put regular forces out of action soon; but as I noted on the first page of this thread, I believe the inevitable insurgency stands a good chance of forcing a Russian withdrawal in the years to come.

But in the immediate picture, between their multiple avenues of attack, and their air superiority, the Russians will force a surrender of Ukrainian forces.

In the meantime, the Ukrainians will suffer.

considering "magic of numbers" you are exactly right this is most probable scenario - but war is little bit more than just simple equation with just one possible solution.... we will see what result will be this time

Users who are viewing this thread