"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ukraine had an established armed forces that were almost certainly trained in traditional combat operations. Some of those regular forces have been engaged in Donbas and so have a fair amount of combat experience, albeit more trench warfare than manoeuvre warfare.

Then there are the various militia groups, volunteers, new recruits etc who won't be skilled in traditional combat operations. However, in small groups they're probably highly effective in maintaining an insurgency. Anybody who's hunted game knows how to move quietly, remain in a hide for long periods of time, and then hit the target. I know it's not as simple as that...but there's a lot of innate skills that exist outside the military but which can be applied.

Where's the Russian Beriev A-50 (AEW&C)?

How Ukraine's Outgunned Air Force Is Fighting Back Against Russian Jets

Here's the whole article.

From the NYT:

"As Russia Stalls in Ukraine, Dissent Brews Over Putin's Leadership…

"Military losses have mounted, progress has slowed, and a blame game has begun among some Russian supporters of the war."

it's a good article, worth searching for.

Jim

Russian minority -- in the Ukraine?

Thanks. I have a subscription, so the app makes that difficult for the technically challenged (Me)…

I especially liked "In January, the head of a group of serving and retired Russian military officers declared that invading Ukraine would be "pointless and extremely dangerous." It would kill thousands, he said, make Russians and Ukrainians enemies for life, risk a war with NATO and threaten "the existence of Russia itself as a state."

Kinda like what's happening?

I don't think Russia's existence as a state is in the balance right now, but the other consequences predicted seem to be playing out.

Of course, a defeat that brings about Putin's downfall and potentially instigates a Russian civil war could see Russia's existence called into question, but I think that is at best a remote possibility.

This is certainly ruining their prestige and will likely render them unable to influence world events for a few decades to come, aside from their nukes, of course. Whether they win or lose, they've squandered their diplomatic trust, and any potential allies are looking at this fiasco and asking themselves "what do we do now?"

Reading some of the most recent analysis by some of the experts quoted in the media, I'm going to go out on a limb and I hope I'm wrong:

I believe Russia will use either chemical or small nuclear weapons sometime over the next week. Either Mariupol or Kyiv. It's not going well for Russia and Putin is going to react.

The question is, how will NATO react?

I'm worried.

Jim

Users who are viewing this thread