"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It's too bad the Ukrainian navy didn't manage to keep their single SSK, the submarine Zaporizhzhia. If the Russian navy is as bad as their army this single Ukrainian submarine would have had a hoot of a time, especially if the Ukrainian submariners had received training and updates from NATO. Even better had NATO sold/donated a recently decommissioned submarine of their own.

Imagine a Perisher graduate and his sharply trained crew hunting the Russian transports, with the Russians limited by the treaty on what ASW vessels and submarines they can send into the Black Sea to counter her.

Last edited:
A question was asked upthread about the regular manoeuvre units of the Ukrainian Army. This latest BBC report provides a small insight at a personal level:

The tale of Kharkiv is the story of the army that didn't fail, and an army that failed to win. Defying widespread expectations that it would collapse in short order, Russian forces have been unable to breach the Ukrainian army's lines around the north-eastern city and have not managed to encircle it.

Russia invaded at 05:00 on 24 February. The night before, 22-year-old Vlad and his brother-in-arms Mark, also 22, were at a fellow private's wedding.

When they learned of the attack, Vlad and Mark joined their battalion - the 22nd Motorised Infantry - and headed straight to the front lines. They have been there ever since.

A month on, while Russian missiles still strike at the city centre and at least half the 1.4m population have fled, there are neighbourhoods that remain untouched.

Against the regular beat of Russian artillery outside, I ask Mark and Vlad what they are fighting for.

Vlad's reply is short and to the point, "For peace in Ukraine." Mark shoots him a glance, "My comrade says for peace in Ukraine," he laughs, then he swears and asks: "Who knows? These people came to our land. No-one was waiting for them here, no-one was calling them."

Do they think of the soldiers on the other side, I wonder. Vlad says he has a message for them: "Run. Run away. Either you stay here in the ground or you go back home."

He pauses, but then adds: "Don't kill kids, destroy homes and families."

This time it is Mark who is to the point: "Go back home while you are still alive"

1648136612465.png

In Kherson - the only large Ukrainian city captured by Russian forces - Mayor Igor Kolykhaev has posted on his Facebook page to say a huge new Ukrainian flag has been draped over the local city council building.

He says: "On the night when the city council was fired, the rope on which our state flag was held was interrupted. Today we found the opportunity to hang a new one."

Local officials have previously said there was no support for Moscow's actions in Ukraine among the city's largely Russian-speaking population.

Residents have staged regular, peaceful protests in the city, urging Russian troops to "go home"

NATO Secretary General, Jens Stoltenberg has had his tenure extended for a year. I think this is sensible because you don't want a leadership change at this critical time. It also looks like he's paving the way for greater NATO involvement if Russia employs chemical weapons. He says the use of chemical weapons "will totally change the nature of the conflict, it will be a blatant violation of international law and it will have widespread consequences."

NATO Secretary General, Jens Stoltenberg has had his tenure extended for a year. I think this is sensible because you don't want a leadership change at this critical time.
How does the combat command leadership of NATO look? Are these guys up to the job? I recall after Pearl Harbour most of the top US brass were replaced with more combat capable leaders.

Meanwhile, 1st April is the next Russian conscript intake. That should be interesting…

It's too bad the Ukrainian navy didn't manage to keep their single SSK, the submarine Zaporizhzhia. If the Russian navy is as bad as their army this single Ukrainian submarine would have had a hoot of a time, especially if the Ukrainian submariners had received training and updates from NATO. Even better had NATO sold/donated a recently decommissioned submarine of their own.

Imagine a Perisher graduate and his sharply trained crew hunting the Russian transports, with the Russians limited by the treaty on what ASW vessels and submarines they can send into the Black Sea to counter her.
As someone who was trained to serve on diesel submarines, I agree with you.
Zaporizhia was under repairs in Sevastopol when it was seized in 2014. It's a shame that the Ukrainian Navy was not funded enough to acquire a couple of subs later.

A pair of second-hand Type 214 U-boats would have been awesome.

Side question, why didn't Ukraine fight this hard and with this level of success in 2014 to hold Crimea? Instead the place flipped for the Russians faster than Kabul fell to the Taliban.
Well, I could write 100 pages about that, referring to my personal experience (born and grew up in Sevastopol)...
Alexander Nevzorov coined a phrase: "Ukraine was lying unconscious and the Crimea stack out of her purse".
Just some facts.
The occupation of Crimea began in February 2014 when the Russian GRU seized the Parliament building in Simferopol.
Ukraine was in turmoil. Top officials who ran away from Kyiv to the Russian Federation: President, Prime Minister, Ministers of Defence, of Internal Affairs, of Justice, of Finance, one or two vice-Prime Ministers, many deputies. Head of SBU (Security Service), etc.
The situation in Crimea:
Commander of VMSU (Ukrainian Navy) who was a top military commander in Crimea, took a "sick leave" and never returned to his office. His successor betrayed Ukraine on the 2nd day after the appointment. Heads of SBU, police, military intelligence, most of the top civilian officials, - all betrayed. About 70% of military personnel deserted and half of them joined Russian forces later. Figures were even higher in police and SBU.
Attempts to resist were chaotic, while the aggressor acted according to the well-developed plans.

Now, if you ask me why all that massive treason... Many articles and books were written about information warfare, about "Gerasimov doctrine", etc. But I'd suggest finding old lectures and interviews with Yuri Bezmenov, it's a good start. Bezmenov's warnings are still valid, not only for Ukraine - for all world.

Reading some of the most recent analysis by some of the experts quoted in the media, I'm going to go out on a limb and I hope I'm wrong:

I believe Russia will use either chemical or small nuclear weapons sometime over the next week. Either Mariupol or Kyiv. It's not going well for Russia and Putin is going to react.

The question is, how will NATO react?

I'm worried.

Jim
They don't have chemical weapons afaik. At least they haven't trained for using them since the'90ies and their stock was officially destroyed in 2017. Of course they could still have a small reserve of the stuff but they definitely cannot produce them in a large scale. I think it's quite unlikely that Russia will use chemical weapons.

How does the combat command leadership of NATO look? Are these guys up to the job? I recall after Pearl Harbour most of the top US brass were replaced with more combat capable leaders.

Meanwhile, 1st April is the next Russian conscript intake. That should be interesting…

The Russians took those up already, from my reading, in anticipation of this invasion. I could be wrong and I welcome any corrections.

In 2022, the Kremlin announced the spring draft early on February 18.[4]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back