"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again."

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The U.S. is sending to Ukraine air defense missiles that were contracted for purchase by other countries, the White House announced on Thursday.

The decision comes as Ukraine has pleaded with its supporters to send at least seven Patriot missile systems to defend against Russian assaults that are pummeling the country and targeting energy infrastructure.

"The United States has made the difficult decision to reprioritize near-term planned deliveries of foreign military sales to other countries, of particularly Patriot and NASAMS missiles, to go to Ukraine instead," said John Kirby, the White House national security communications advisor.

"The United States has a robust foreign military sales program where our defense industrial base produces and then exports materials to other countries, including air defense missiles. We're going to reprioritize the deliveries of these exports so those missiles rolling off the production line will be provided to Ukraine."

Kirby said that air defense munitions for Taiwan and Israel, in particular, would not be impacted. He said the U.S. had communicated to affected countries with pending foreign military sales, but couldn't detail how long the delays would be, and didn't mention specific countries.

More reporting: Ukraine moved to top of list to receive US air defense capabilities

Forgive the minor injection of American politics here, but it's germane to the thread, and bipartisan to boot. If it is afoul moderator views, delete it as you will. No partisanship is intended with this, nor will I engage in any:

Two days after Russian President Vladimir Putin and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un signed a new defense agreement, Sens. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C) and Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.) introduced a bill to declare Russia a state sponsor of terror.

Holding up a photo of Kim and Putin to start off the press conference unveiling the bill, Blumenthal said, "Exhibit A. I rest my case."

Blumenthal described the photo of Putin and Kim as depicting "two of the most autocratic, atrocity-committing leaders in the world standing together."

He also said the message sent by the U.S. labeling Russia a state sponsor of terrorism was as important as increased sanctions from the designation.

"This message to the world is as important in a moral sense as any practical consequence. Russia deserves to be in this small selective club of atrocity-committing killers," the Democrat said.

Graham introduced a Senate resolution during the last Congress to declare Russia a state sponsor of terrorism. That resolution passed the Senate, but it was nonbinding, only calling on the secretary of State to make the distinction himself.

The bill introduced Thursday would require the State Department to classify Russia as a state sponsor of terror, which would unlock a new set of sanctions, restrict any U.S.-based foreign aid, and severely curtail immunity for Russia from suits in the U.S.

If the bill passes, U.S. nationals could sue a state sponsor of terror for offenses like torture, extrajudicial killing and hostage-taking.

If those lawsuits prevail, plaintiffs could get compensation from the sanctioned nation's seized assets.

I say it's past goddamned time, myself.

Not a good choice but maybe unavoidable:

Uncle Vlad is unhappy with that new and may could stir some problems for the RoK from the north. Maybe the timing for the heated rethoric from Kim is no coincidence. We are a couple of days away from the 74th aniversary from the start of the korean War.

Hopefully this will be true:

View: https://x.com/mason_8718/status/1803767337428103217

Maybe cuddling up to Kim will have consequences...

Hellova bold move by Washington.

And it's not all that far fetched, since Russia has been committing acts of terrorism since 2022 and there's a warrant out for Putin.

It's completely appropriate after the massacre at Buchin and the other murderous violations visited upon Ukrainian civilians. I just wish we had done this earlier in order to underline the butchery the Russian forces have visited upon their victims.

I don't see it as bold. I see it as belated. Anyone with one working eye could see that what the Russians are doing is replete with war-crime operations. I'm just glad that our Congress may actually have to take up the matter, though I'm sure there are a few useful idiots who will try to plug the path.

Not a good choice but maybe unavoidable:

Uncle Vlad is unhappy with that new and may could stir some problems for the RoK from the north. Maybe the timing for the heated rethoric from Kim is no coincidence. We are a couple of days away from the 74th aniversary from the start of the korean War.

DPRK, while flying 35 MiG-29s, is still flying MiG-21s and -23s, MiG-19 and -17 derivatives, Sukhoi Su-7s, and Ilyushin I-28s.

I haven't checked into DPRK's army order of battle, but I can say with some certainty that they will lose control of the air in a day or two of combat. If Kim is going to stir the pot, he's gonna need a bigger spoon.

It's completely appropriate after the massacre at Buchin and the other murderous violations visited upon Ukrainian civilians. I just wish we had done this earlier in order to underline the butchery the Russian forces have visited upon their victims.

I don't see it as bold. I see it as belated. Anyone with one working eye could see that what the Russians are doing is replete with war-crime operations. I'm just glad that our Congress may actually have to take up the matter, though I'm sure there are a few useful idiots who will try to plug the path.
I agree that it is very belated.

By me saying it's a bold move, is indicating that those assclowns are actually doing something constructive for the better good for all.

All Ukraine has ever asked, is that we support them while they're doing the heavy lifting. If we fail them, not only will their blood be on our hands, but we will eventually have to power-check the Putler with our own people and it will be a far messier affair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back