"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (4 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I feel that the media may be held to blame for the MiG-29 deal not going through.
If it had been kept quiet and everything done on the down-low, then the Ukraine just may have gotten them.

But no, the media has to know everything.

This reminds me of a comment made by Saddam Hussein, where he stated that his best intelligence source was CNN...

I feel that the media may be held to blame for the MiG-29 deal not going through.
If it had been kept quiet and everything done on the down-low, then the Ukraine just may have gotten them.

But no, the media has to know everything.

This reminds me of a comment made by Saddam Hussein, where he stated that his best intelligence source was CNN...

Wasn't it a Polish gov't announcement that broke the news, though? One can hardly blame the media if that was the case, because such a story would be reported at any rate.

Wasn't it a Polish gov't announcement that broke the news, though? One can hardly blame the media if that was the case, because such a story would be reported at any rate.

Originally, it was a NATO official (don't recall who).

That right there was enough to start some friction since it was coming from NATO itself, he then quickly retracted his statement.

Originally, it was a NATO official (don't recall who).

That right there was enough to start some friction since it was coming from NATO itself, he then quickly retracted his statement.

I hadn't read that. If that's true, he certainly should have back-channeled it before blabbing to any media source. As the Poles should have, if they were the ones putting it out.

Whenever we see media repression on this scale, we may rest assured that we are seeing a government that is terrified of the facts coming out and undermining its legitimacy (as if Putin's gov't has any left, lol).

Completely agree, Thump. The misinformation and disinformation campaign being waged is primarily aimed at the Russian people, lest they find out the hollowness behind the reasons for going to war in the first place. Russians regard Ukrainians as their brothers and sisters. Such actions that the military have been conducting should be regarded by ordinary Russians as criminal, but if they don't find out, support for the war remains if they think its justified.

Completely agree, Thump. The misinformation and disinformation campaign being waged is primarily aimed at the Russian people, lest they find out the hollowness behind the reasons for going to war in the first place. Russians regard Ukrainians as their brothers and sisters. Such actions that the military have been conducting should be regarded by ordinary Russians as criminal, but if they don't find out, support for the war remains if they think its justified.

Exactly. The two ethnicities to me remind me of a brother and sister, interminably fighting while still loving each other; and Putin knows he has to control the Russian narrative in order to maintain the ongoing support for the fight in Russia, and keep the love on the back-burner. And, by the way, maintain his own hold on power, which is of course his primary aim.

The sad part is that after this, I doubt that sort of fraternal affection between the two peoples will be very easy to rebuild. I believe he's poisoned the well for a long time to come with this brutal invasion.

This is a very useful bit of information on the sources of Russian disinformation. We rarely hear from these directly but they are then used for stories in pro-Russian media that we do see. (That's as far as I'll take that line of enquiry to avoid getting deep in the partisan political weeds.)

just trying to lighten the mood up a bit

Attachments

• img20220327_20540939.jpg
    img20220327_20540939.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 18
Last week a retired General on one of the channels was discussing the "MiGs" and pointed out that these aircraft were not in good condition. He said they had been East German and after unification the Luftwaffe decided they couldn't keep them because the parts had to come from Russia and the Russian government was delaying orders. The General said they were sold to Poland for Two Euros each as is. His solution was they should have been reduced to assemblies and transported into Ukraine to use for repairs to Ukrainian MiGs. I have not heard any other source comment about using them as parts. Have any members info about this?

Last week a retired General on one of the channels was discussing the "MiGs" and pointed out that these aircraft were not in good condition. He said they had been East German and after unification the Luftwaffe decided they couldn't keep them because the parts had to come from Russia and the Russian government was delaying orders. The General said they were sold to Poland for Two Euros each as is. His solution was they should have been reduced to assemblies and transported into Ukraine to use for repairs to Ukrainian MiGs. I have not heard any other source comment about using them as parts. Have any members info about this?

I think I saw the same comment, yeah. It seems much more practical than other suggestions, to me.

I hadn't read that. If that's true, he certainly should have back-channeled it before blabbing to any media source. As the Poles should have, if they were the ones putting it out.
His comment was back late in February, I had posted it and then several other posts popped up by others shortly after, about Poland will provide, Poland won't provide and so on.

I beleive it all started about 30-40 pages into this thread.
If I have time tomorrow, I'll look for it.

I think that fit's the truth, keeping in mind that these MiG's had been delivered to the former East-German Air-force between 1988-1989, as such now being almost 35 years old with
about 26 having seen service (and as such maintained) between 1990-2000 with the reunified German Luftwaffe. In 2004 the remaining 22 were sold (more or less for free - as Germany's
NATO contribution towards Poland).

AFAIK only 10-12 were used by the Polish Air-force at 22nd air base in Malbork , and. 2-3 of the trainer-version MiG-29UB at 23rd air base in Minsk Mazowiecki.

Regards
Jagdflieger

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back