"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again."

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The one Russian tank which I did expect to see in action albeit in small numbers is the T14 which is supposed to be their new front line tank. Has anyone else seen any report of it being used?

Mig-29 story in PAF is difficult to explain simple way. First - technical side - instead of seeing this as one type we should rather think about this as a separate 2-3 subvariants with different modification level. As any other soviet origin military equipment this airplane tybe have been and still is source of headache for PAF because of lack or very limited support from manufacturer side. Enough to mention that all mdifications made during 35 years of service have been done without OKB MIG support, all spares during last more than 15 years have been sourced indirectly - most of it from Belarus or ... Ukraine. I think this comments indirectly answering on your question related to combat readiness of this equipment. Note : technical condition is not equal to combat readiness - it is just one of it's numerous factors.
Hi J_P_C,

one could also say - and I think there is nothing wrong by saying this; Poland is aware that due to being cut of from spare supplies via Belarus and the Ukraine that almost 40% of
it's interceptor/strike force (30 MiG 29's incl. 9 ex Luftwaffe) might very soon be rendered useless. (Not taking into account the SU 22's) Therefore offer them to the Ukraine/USA in exchange for e.g. 20 F-16. That is actually what this deal is really about.
If the Ukrainian Air-force (pilots) are even able to operate these (modified) MiG 29's and how many would be another topic or issue.
That Poland in view of the present situation isn't just standing by and simply watching the demise of a large portions of it's Air-force is understandable.

In regards to technical changes, compatibility to Ukraine's MiG 29 and it's pilots see:

Regards
Jagdflieger

Last edited:
Ukraine is on the offensive on many fronts. It's essential that they push the Russians as far back as possible before a ceasefire is called and negotiations begin. The Russians will demand at the very best that they hold the lands they now occupy. What does Ukraine need to accomplish the biggest land grab in the shortest time? Is more MANPATS, MANPADS, secure coms, guns and bullets enough? What does Ukraine need to regain as much ground it can before a ceasefire? My guess is Ukraine has at best two weeks before some level of ceasefire is called.

Poland is aware that due to being cut of from spare supplies via Belarus and the Ukraine that almost 40% of it's interceptor/strike force (30 MiG 29's incl. 9 ex Luftwaffe) might very soon be rendered useless.
I imagine Ukraine would rather have other aircraft than these old MiGs. I expect they'd acclimatize to light attack aircraft like the Dassault/Dornier Alpha Jet easily enough. They used to operate the Aero L-39 Albatros, are there any still in service? It's a question of what's available in Europe's second line stocks.

Last edited:
I imagine Ukraine would rather have other aircraft than these old MiGs. I expect they'd acclimatize to light attack aircraft like the Dassault/Dornier Alpha Jet easily enough. They used to operate the Aero L-39 Albatros, are there any still in service? It's a question of what's available in Europe's second line stocks.
Combat isn't the best time to be learning a new aircraft.

I disagree - first, the UAF would probably welcome these aircraft especially if they are airworthy. It would be easier for Ukraine pilots to jump into these aircraft rather than going into another system, which can take weeks, it not months to transition into, time is something the UAF doesn't have.

The L39 can be used if the trainer is already militarized. The ZA version is a dedicated attack version, heavier and more robust from the trainer version - that would fit perfect into the situation as many if not all UAF currently flying fighters had at one time flown the L39.

Combat isn't the best time to be learning a new aircraft.
No. But after the war is decided isn't either. This narrative that Ukraine wanted only ex-Russian combat aircraft may need verification. Did anyone offer them any non-Russian aircraft that they've refused due to unfamiliarity? I don't know how widely trained the UAF pilots and ground crews are - some may well have gained experience on Western types over the decades since Ukrainian independence.

Last edited:
The L39 is clearly the best option but I would have thought that any experienced pilot would have little difficulty transitioning to a Hawk, Alpha Jet or similar advanced trainer, all of which are capable GA aircraft. The problem would be in the maintenance, availability of spares and other equipment needed to keep them flying.

The days of kicking the tyres, lighting the fire, and thundering into the sunset are long gone

The L39 is clearly the best option but I would have thought that any experienced pilot would have little difficulty transitioning to a Hawk, Alpha Jet or similar advanced trainer, all of which are capable GA aircraft. The problem would be in the maintenance, availability of spares and other equipment needed to keep them flying.

The days of kicking the tyres, lighting the fire, and thundering into the sunset are long gone
Bingo! You can give the UAF F-16s but without the logistics support structure, they would become bricks within their first few hours of operation.

At the end of the day, a good fleet of armed UAVs will do far more for the Ukrainians than another dozen or two aircraft.
Hopefully they will find a way to shoehorn the Stugnas on their Bayraktars, or what have you, before situation allows for the more fancier solutions.
The AT grenades dropped from the commercial quadricopters are good in want of the bespoke systems.

Bingo! You can give the UAF F-16s but without the logistics support structure, they would become bricks within their first few hours of operation.
For this reason if I had any influence over the Finish Airforce I would be asking if there were any F18 and Hawks in their originating countries that could be brought up to current spec ( old aircraft are almost always missing one up date or another). So if push comes to shove I could quickly increase the size of my airforce.

Ukraine is on the offensive on many fronts. It's essential that they push the Russians as far back as possible before a ceasefire is called and negotiations begin. The Russians will demand at the very best that they hold the lands they now occupy. What does Ukraine need to accomplish the biggest land grab in the shortest time? Is more MANPATS, MANPADS, secure coms, guns and bullets enough? What does Ukraine need to regain as much ground it can before a ceasefire? My guess is Ukraine has at best two weeks before some level of ceasefire is called.
Thinking on this, it's best to cut off Crimea from Donbas.

"Despite the massive Russian attack, Ukraine's air defense also set a record for this war in the number of missiles it shot down in one day, as only eight of the 70 missiles fired by Russia engaged their targets, according to The Insider."

Read more: Russia Spent Half Billion in Missile Attacks Day Biden Spoke | Newsmax.com
Still, that's 8 too many.

No. But after the war is decided isn't either. This narrative that Ukraine wanted only ex-Russian combat aircraft may need verification. Did anyone offer them any non-Russian aircraft that they've refused due to unfamiliarity? I don't know how widely trained the UAF pilots and ground crews are - some may well have gained experience on Western types over the decades since Ukrainian independence.
Western types will be worse than nothing.
Integrating a new aircraft type reduces productivity in any operation, and needs to be carefully managed. Its not as simple as learning how to fly a new aircraft type.

Western aircraft have a different design and maintenance philosophy, which will make the logistics, support and training transition an order of magnitude more difficult than integrating a type that is currently operated.

That is actually what this deal is really about.

One thing's for sure, this war is going to do great for Western combat aircraft manufacturers. Aircraft like the Gripen and Viper are going to see increased sales, I reckon, possibly even Rafale, Eurofighter and F-35 - Germany has recently ordered the latter and has an EW variant of the Typhoon on the way to replace its Tornadoes following its massive defence expenditure increase...

The one Russian tank which I did expect to see in action albeit in small numbers is the T14 which is supposed to be their new front line tank. Has anyone else seen any report of it being used?
We should check with the Ukrainian Ministry of Agriculture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back