"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

If the Poles has kept their traps shut the MiGs could have been sent. All the Poles had to do was repaint them in Ukrainian colours for Ukraine pilots to fly over the border. But Poland had to play it cute.

They clearly didn't want to do that going it alone, hence flying them through a US base. If the ruse were to be discovered, I'm not sure -- nor, apparently, were they -- that Article 5 would apply.

I bet they could still be crated up and driven over the frontier.

Last edited:
microwave jammer Lipa/Ispanka - but it does not worked too well - considering speed of missiles and effect it wasn't classic MANPADS - anyway freaking effective

Do you think a tractor can tow the An to Kermit Weeks?

On a New Zealand forum, there's talk of sending it to Pioneer or Avspecs at Ardmore, purveyors of fine P-40 and de Havilland Mosquito restorations...

And no love for the Volga or Trabant, it seems...

I almost bought a Trabbi when I was dating an East German girl in my 20s. Her cousin in Dresden had one and was gonna sell it to us for 300 deutschmarks. We were thinking of buying it and driving it back to the UK, but to get it insured was more than the car was worth.

Europe 301

I think the Poles wanted their replacement F-16s first.

My reading indicates that it was scuppered by American officials. Given reasons include the undesirability of flying them from a NATO base as Poland suggested, as well as the idea of flying NATO aid directly into contested airspace.

Does anyone know if NATO countries are still being supplied with Russian gas and oil? - thanks

Regards
Jagdflieger

They are. Disentangling Europe from Russian oil & gas imports will take a long time.

I think only the US and UK (and maybe Canada) have enacted/introduced Russian oil & gas embargoes. Most other NATO states are seeking alternative sources (primarily Middle East and Nigeria), but getting those contracts going and then arranging export/import is not something that happens overnight. Think months, rather than days or weeks.

Russian oil exports are already starting to fall precipitously - it looks like March exports will be down by about a third compared to the average of the previous 12 months. Russia exported an average of 4.4 million barrels per day in 2021, but this looks likely to drop to about 3 million barrels for March (and probably for April too).

There's a couple of flies in the sanctions ointment though - India and China. Indian oil buyers are snapping up Russian crude at record discounts - reportedly $25-30 a barrel below pre-war market levels. India imported 6 million barrels from Russian in the first three weeks of March, or about half of what it imported from Russian in all of 2021.

China has also started to buy more Russian oil and gas, although there are a couple of things that are keeping Chinese buyers from greater imports. Russia want to be paid in Rubles, China wants to pay in Yuan. Which means they'll probably both have to do the exchanges in USD or EUR.

Medium term, you'll see most of Western Europe cut Russia out of its energy mix. Only problem is that they then have to do business with states like Saudi Arabia and Qatar.

Users who are viewing this thread