"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Russia finally provides figures on Moskva casualties...but there seem to be some odd maths at play (Source: BBC):

One sailor died and 27 more are missing after the Russian warship Moskva sank last week, according to RIA news agency citing Russia's defence ministry.

It adds 396 other crew members were rescued from the Moskva, which was the flagship of Russia's Black Sea fleet.

Russia says a fire onboard caused ammunitions to explode and the vessel sank as it was being towed in a storm. Ukraine says it hit it with missiles.

So 1 dead and 27 more missing = 28 casualties

If 396 crew were rescued, that gives us 424 sailors aboard.

Crew complement of the Moskva was 510....so what of the ghost 86 sailors? Now, it's possible Moskva was not at full crew complement...but that would be over 16% of the ship's crew. That seems like a dangerous degree of under-manning, particularly when you're in a war...errr, I mean, special operations zone.

Am I missing something?

Last edited:
Wouldn't surprise me at all. Reports indicate tanks are undermanned. Why wouldn't ships be too? What was it Rummy said? You go to war {special military exercise} with the military you have, not the military you wish you had.

Yes, but there are Slava class ships in the Kola and in the Far East. Given the amount of planning and prep time, one would expect they'd steal from those vessels to ensure the Black Sea Fleet was fully combat ready? Maybe????

Last edited:
It seems that the Russian sources cannot agree on any one story with the Moskva.

First, the ship didn't sink. Then it did sink.

It wasn't attacked, it had an accident. Then it *may have* been attacked.
It was attacked in an "act of war".

All crewmen were rescued. Some crew were rescued. Most may have been rescued.

A few may have died. Some died.
One died.

Let's wait a few days and see what new spin they come out with. Should be interesting.

Agreed…..and if only one died, was that the captain? Apparently he was killed in the explosion.

You really have to wonder about any organization that is so paranoid about "messaging" that it will spout any old lies just to not be seen as failing. I know all governments lie….but the Kremlin takes it to an entirely new level.

Wouldn't surprise me at all. Reports indicate tanks are undermanned. Why wouldn't ships be too? What was it Rummy said? You go to war {special military exercise} with the military you have, not the military you wish you had.
The Russians are using garbage weaponry, tactics, training, planning and logistics, but they've still managed to take much of eastern Ukraine. With their superior weapons, tactics, training and motivation the Ukrainians have not yet found a counter to the mass of the Russian effort. They may be useless, but the Russians are winning so far.

If I was the Ukrainian CNC I'd be worried about that salient in the east. If the Russians can find the tanks and the gas they can drive south and north (once Mariupol is dealt with) and cut off a large portion of Ukraine's army. Lots of ifs there I admit.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread