"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I could well be wrong, but I have to wonder how many of these "reinforcements" are from the fresh April draft of conscripts Russia has just impressed. No doubt they will be leavened with vets, but all the same, I think these troops will have lower experience and morale.

Likely virtually none.

The first intake of Russia's April conscripts won't have completed their version of basic training for at least another three to six weeks. Then they get 'advanced' training from the units they're assigned to - which could be anywhere from one to four months - with some others getting 'specalist' or 'systems' training at the few dedicated training centres. Russia has a rather ad hoc system based around individual military units rather than large centralised training facilities, and training times and standards vary significantly.

Only after this is when conscripts are considered combat ready. Typically the shortest training window for conscripts is about four months - under Russian legislation conscripts can't even legally go into combat with any less training than this, unless there is a situation of martial law. The longest training window is about eight months.

So, its unlikely that the April intake of conscripts would make an appearance in combat units in Ukraine until around the beginning of August, or even later.

Even then, it's important to note the actual number of new troops available won't be particularly massive. The conscript intake is spread out over about 15 weeks, because Russia's basic training infrastructure can't handle more than about 25-30,000 new bodies at any one time (as of 2019). The main bottleneck appears to be the fact that there aren't enough senior NCOs in the system - and most of these will be deployed in Ukraine at the moment.

If conscripts are going to be pushed into the front lines (which there is evidence of), they will likely be already trained troops from the autumn 2021 intake.

Of course, all of the above is based on peacetime standards. Give that Russia is in 'special military operation' times, reality could be different.

A couple of odd bits I ran across today:

G7 finance ministers said they have provided and pledged together with the international community, additional support to Ukraine exceeding $24 billion for 2022 and beyond, adding they were prepared to do more.

Chinese President Xi Jinping has reiterated China's opposition to unilateral sanctions and "long-arm jurisdiction". In a video address to the annual Boao Forum for Asia gathering on the southern Chinese island of Hainan, Xi proposed a "global security initiative" which would, among other things, "reject Cold War mentality, oppose unilateralism, and say no to group politics and bloc confrontation".

RF ground forces attempted to storm the Azovstal complex on Wednesday (21 April). On Thursday (22 April) Russian President Vladimir Putin ordered his forces not to storm the last remaining Ukrainian stronghold in the besieged port city of Mariupol - instead telling his troops to block it "so that not even a fly can get through". There are 1000+ UAF troops and another 1000+ civilians in the Azovstal complex.

That is part of what I find interesting about the Xi JinPing blurb. His comments clearly acknowledge the implications of the actions taken by much of the developed world in the current 'West' vs Russian Federation confrontation/situation - as opposed to his sitting back and pretending it has no relevance to China's potential actions.

I was just musing. If the Ukrainians can take out the Admiral Essen, the Russian Black Sea fleet will be without heavy SAM capability. (The Admiral Grigorovich is currently in the Med.) The Ukrainians already hit the Admiral Essen with an unspecified weapon on 3 April 2022, but the frigate was operational on 12 April, so not too much damage was done.

Last edited:
Chinese President Xi Jinping has reiterated China's opposition to unilateral sanctions and "long-arm jurisdiction". In a video address to the annual Boao Forum for Asia gathering on the southern Chinese island of Hainan, Xi proposed a "global security initiative" which would, among other things, "reject Cold War mentality, oppose unilateralism, and say no to group politics and bloc confrontation".

All those high-falutin words and he couldn't be bothered to say one thing about naked aggression.

What a twatwaffle.

I was just musing. If the Ukrainians can take out the Admiral Essen, the Russian Black Sea fleet will be without heavy SAM capability. (The Admiral Grigorovich is currently in the Med.) The Ukrainians already hit the Admiral Essen with an unspecified weapon on 3 April 2022, but the frigate was operational on 12 April, so not too much damage was done.
Hey ThomasP, you have more information on this?

Time for some frogmen and limpet mines I'd say. The Ukrainian navy must have a scuba section, but I don't see it Ukrainian Navy - Wikipedia. They did train with the SEALS, US Navy SEALs are training with Ukrainian special operations forces

What's available for mines?

Mines of the United States of America - NavWeaps

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back