"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I remain surprised that Russia has not yet destroyed the rail network linking Poland to eastern Ukraine. That should have been a target on day one, but even now Ukrainian trains are bringing tanks, artillery, APCs, etc.
They do hit the rail network on the regular basis. Last week Odesa region, yesterday Lviv region, about an hour ago - Dnipro city. Usual targets are hubs, terminals, and rail bridges.

Last edited:
IDK, I would expect the West to hit Russia's internet accessible systems pretty hard in response.

Which is why Russia took the extraordinary step a few years ago to try and firewall the Russian internet off from the rest of the world. It won't be an impervious firewall but it shows Russia is aware of the risk and wants to limit the exposure.

One added side-effect of the firewall is that it makes it much easier to stop Western "propaganda" corrupting the noble, righteous Russian mind.

Mr.Trenin was a Kremlin's mouthpiece for many years, disguised as an "independent expert". He ruined his reputation a long time ago.
The premise about "restraint" is complete BS. Restraint - as in Kharkiv, Mariupol, Bucha, Borodyanka, in numerous (10-30 cruise missiles at once) raids all over the territory, up to the NATO border?
Trenin says: "Why isn't Russia bombing more bridges and railway networks". Damned lies. Such bombings never stopped.
But damaged rail lines are being restored quickly.
"He said that he was struggling to explain why the Kremlin was fighting at "less than half strength."" Another BS.
It's a typical propaganda trick - to spread the message about "fighting with one hand tied" as an explanation of own failures. Some Russian "military experts" now talk about the Vietnam war and US self imposed restrictions. So typical as well. The hatred of the USA mixed with envy and with an eternal desire to copy at least something from those damned Americans.
About alleged "restraint", very good video from Perun:

This may well be the case, but it makes me wonder why Russia didn't launch cyberwarfare not only against Ukraine but against the US given their doctrine of hybrid warfare.
Against Ukraine - they did. The number of cyberattacks was on the rise in 2021 and during last winter. But the defence was more robust than during the not-Petya attack, Cooperation with NSA and with major software players such as Microsoft helped.

Hope this answers your question.

View attachment 666909
The map is not complete yet.
Foreign minister Molotoff Ribbentrop Lavrov discovered Nazi supporters in Israel and spoke about the Jewish origins of Adolf Hitler.

Why do the Russians think they can do cyberwar better?
Because they tend to do just that. Also, remember that not all cyberwar is about hacking. Disinformation campaigns and getting people to turn against their own side or believe fake news is part of it too. In this respect, Russia (and China) have been conducting cyberwar activities for many years, at least back to 2015.

They do hit the rail network on the regular basis. Last week Odesa region, yesterday Lviv region, about an hour ago - Dnipro city. Usual targets are hubs, terminals, and rail bridges.
Hopefully the Ukrainians were warned or expected this and have prepared to repair the tracks and reroute as needed. I would not be surprised if volunteer civilian railway crews from Poland and elsewhere are helping to put things to rights.

In addition there are contingency plans. I don't know about other countries but the UK have a number of plans to protect and / or limit the damage that can be done to the power grid. For instance if all the power stations in the UK were some how to be turned off, there are plans and equipment in place for all the power stations to be on line within 48 hours. They do this by nominating a number of stations as 'self starter stations'. These are equipped with gas turbine engines (Olympus engines at the station my son worked at). These can start the home station and these can then be linked to other power stations and so on until they are all up and running. Some self starter stations are Hydro but the principle is the same, they start themselves and then power the rest.
The grid itself can be split into areas to limit damage and then re-joined to make a complete system. Critical systems for infrastructure such as as banks, other big business's, defence, government, departments, police etc have back up sites for the data, which can be cold start or hot start sites. On the one I worked on, the site was linked to another site. Both sites had twice the power needed to run the site and could run the other site if needed. In addition to this both sites had power stations that were switched off and could be switched on if the main power network was down and again each site could run both sites if needed. As a final back up both sites could run for 48 hours using battery power and all the systems and data needed for the smooth running of the organisations was held at both sites.

Does this mean that a cyber attack couldn't do damage, clearly no, only a fool would give that guarantee. But when you consider the above plus the difficulty in knocking out Gas, Solar, Wind, Coal, and Nuclear sites all at the same time, its as safe as you are likely to get.

Its also worth pointing out that there have been a few days in the UK where all the power was generated by renewables, which give an extra layer of protection should some stations be knocked out.

Until your post i've wondered why German government is so pushy with closing it's nuclear power plants... but now it become quite clear. I have some doubts in relation to your professional level - you have intentionally breached security regulations and you are announcing this publicly - well... don't you think something is wrong here?

Yep, Kremlin making friends all over the world. Seems that Israel is a bit pissed off and has changed its stance vs Ukraine.

Not quite:
True. Africa is notably out. Too bad, as there must be hundreds of T-72 tanks in Africa. And South Africa has some very suitable, low tech yet effective kit. That aside, when your actions can unite an otherwise squabbling NATO and bring the likes of China, India, Pakistan, Israel, Vietnam, Argentina, Japan and even the Kiwis onto your enemy's side, well you might have overstepped.

Last edited:

Hybrid warfare is in my opinion a useful concept. I'm just surprised that Russia, which pretty much codified the ideas of it, has done so poorly in execution.

Users who are viewing this thread