"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (8 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

We "bother" about this since an amphibious assault ship carrying attack and ASW helicopters - might according to some weasel like lawyers not constitute a carrier carrying aeroplanes
as stated in the Montreaux Convention.

Did I miss something on this thread, or has the western media confirmed that Colonel Ihor Bedzai, Deputy Commander of the Navy for Aviation, died in the Ukrainian sky. He is better known as the former commander of the 10th Naval Aviation Brigade from Novofedorivka, near Saky, Crimea. Shot down in his aircraft Mi-14 by a Russian missile.

Last edited:
We "bother" about this since an amphibious assault ship carrying attack and ASW helicopters - might according to some weasel like lawyers not constitute a carrier carrying aeroplanes
as stated in the Montreaux Convention.

We keep going round and round on this...helicopters are aircraft but they are not aeroplanes. If the amphibious vessel belongs to a belligerent then it won't be allowed into the Black Sea. If it's a non-belligerent then it probably could be allowed through but, as we've noted, that's a lawyer-ese issue. We can bash our heads against that wall for days but lawyers ALWAYS interpret things differently.

Would a helicopter-carrying amphib assault ship be allowed into the Black Sea? The answer is probably maybe.

re Russian claims

"Overall, the following targets have been destroyed since the beginning of the special military operation: 163 aircraft, 124 helicopters, 793 unmanned aerial vehicles, 300 surface-to-air missile systems, 2,979 tanks and other combat armored vehicles, 351 multiple launch rocket systems, 1,440 field artillery guns and mortars and 2,789 special military motor vehicles,"

But I've seen other (Russian/Pro-Russian) sources earlier in the war claiming more planes. Maybe RT or sputnik claim more, but I can't access them.

Regarding the Turkish Straights:
NO military ship or ship carrying military hardware is currently allowed passage, regardless of nation or allegiance.

Doesn't matter if it's a landing craft with "aircrafts", a freighter with armored cars or anything in between.

I posted a clear (and somewhat lengthy but concise) artical upthread that outlines Turkey's current position and why they're doing it.

HELSINKI/KHARKIV, Ukraine, May 12 (Reuters) - Finland said on Thursday it would apply to join NATO "without delay", with Sweden expected to follow, as Russia's invasion of Ukraine looked set to bring about the very expansion of the Western military alliance that Vladimir Putin aimed to prevent.

The decision by the two Nordic countries to abandon the neutrality they maintained throughout the Cold War would be one of the biggest shifts in European security in decades. Moscow called Finland's announcement a direct threat to Russia, and threatened retaliation, including unspecified "military-technical" measures.

I'll go back to quoting Soundgarden on this:

Whatsoever I've feared has come to life
And whatsoever I've fought off became my life
Just when everyday seemed to greet me with a smile
Sunspots have faded, now I'm doing time
Now I'm doing time

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the Kremlin just to watch the hissy-fit that is going on as we speak. I hope the bastard is chewing the rug but good.

Did Russia "replace " Ukrainians with more compliant Russians in Crimea? If so, then Ukraine will have big problems trying to reclaim its territory.
With the morale problem Russian troops have, are the Separatists in the same boat?

More issues for lawyers to get rich, since the Montreux Convention is the only paper with an international approval. - what Turkey independently decides is not really of international significance. Since Bulgaria and Rumania border the Black Sea and are NATO members as well already invalidates such a law enactment. That Erdogan is "unofficially" supporting another dictator is no secret and he's got his own war-crimes to justify.

Did Russia "replace " Ukrainians with more compliant Russians in Crimea? If so, then Ukraine will have big problems trying to reclaim its territory.
With the morale problem Russian troops have, are the Separatists in the same boat?
As I had stated before, those doing most of the fighting and taking the brunt of the losses are the DNLR troops - not the Russian army in regards to manpower losses.

POTUS45 was very direct when dealing with NATO. Insisting that European countries increase their military budgets to meet the 2% treaty requirement and pointing out that being dependent on Russian oil and gas was "inappropriate". He was especially critical of Germany's overdependence on Russian energy, and the Nordstream II pipeline. He was the first US president to authorize and deliver lethal aid to Ukraine in their continuing fight against Russian expansionism.

Users who are viewing this thread