"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (13 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Aug 20 (Reuters) - New blasts resounded in the Russian-annexed Crimea peninsula on Saturday and a Russian missile hit a residential area of a southern Ukrainian town not far from a nuclear power station, wounding 12 civilians, Russian and Ukrainian officials said.

That strike at the Pivdennoukrainsk (South Ukraine) nuclear station and fresh shelling near the Zaporizhzhia station, Europe's largest such facility, prompted new fears of a nuclear accident during the war, Ukrainian officials said.

In Crimea, Ukrainian territory seized and annexed by Russia during a 2014 incursion into Ukraine, the Russian-appointed governor not recognised by the West said a drone had struck a building near the headquarters of Russia's Black Sea Fleet on Saturday morning.

"A drone flew onto the roof. It was flying low," governor Mikhail Razvozhayev said on Telegram. "It was downed right over the Fleet headquarters. It fell on the roof and burned up. The attack failed."

Well well well. Looks like the MiG-29 can be set up to carry HARM...

It's amazing that the Ukrainians can still operate their MiGs in the open. Where the heck is the VVS?

Does hitting an office building at the naval base have much impact? I'd want to hit the ships and aircraft present, unless there's a vip in the office.

I have to like the MiG-29. I remember as a lad in the early 1980s seeing the first photos and drawings.

Last edited:
Does hitting an office building at the naval base have much impact? I'd want to hit the ships and aircraft present, unless there's a vip in the office.

A unit without a functioning HQ has lost a lot of its strength already. You're an admiral -- what happens when you hit the bridge squarely? Right: you get a 30,000-ton target. Hiei was lost mainly because Laffey shot up the BC's upperworks, including the bridge, in an attack that wounded the Japanese admiral. Sunk a day later by the Cactus Air Force, that likely would not have happened if the ship's leadership was intact. Look also at how the Bismarck's targeting system was disabled very early in its final battle, and how that forced local and therefore less-accurate aiming.

Crippling C³ is a very important task. Those planes and ships don't go anywhere if the fuel is blown up and there's no clerks to arrange resupply. Likewise ammo if those dumps aren't replaced.

Nor if the guy in charge is unable to make good decisions.

Last edited:
That's a dozen or so aircraft. Why isn't the Russian airforce bombing the crap out of Ukraine's air bases? Are they bombing their own territory?

Those 12 planes -- it was eight or nine in the reports I've read -- represented about 50% of the Black Sea's air fleet.

Why aren't the Russians seizing air supremacy? We've been asking this for months now, but I think the thing is is that for most targets, they have to get down low and expose themselves to SAMs/MANPADs. They also had a big misimpression that Shock and Awe® would work for them and did not think they would need that much air support. That's my opinion, and that's all it is, so fire away.

I hope this is Russian resistance rather than Ukrainian special ops.

Darya Dugin: Daughter of Putin ally killed in Moscow bomb - report

If Ukraine starts blowing up the family members of those associated with its opponents it may begin to look like the Troubles, needlessly testing the resolve of Ukraine's backers.

"Russian philosopher Alexander Dugin" caught my eye.
When reading that I just though, umm that sentence should be next to "German philosopher Joseph Goebbels"

That's a dozen or so aircraft. Why isn't the Russian airforce bombing the crap out of Ukraine's air bases? Are they bombing their own territory?

There was a report of one of the Ukrainian strikes with a high casualty rate. I think that was at Saky Airbase and not just the strike at Wagner HQ. The Russians may not have the aircrew.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back