"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The US also has 18 MNNA's (Major non Nato allies) which includes Australia and Japan. Defence and military equipment development/access
are among the benefits of this designation.

Taiwan is a special case it is to be treated as such by the US without formal designation being made.

China has a tightrope to walk here as any belligerence toward a designated MNNA in order to bully their way to a clear
shot at Taiwan could trigger reserve supplies of equipment from the US to the MNNA member and can include anything
- even depleted uranium rounds.

As Taiwan is to be treated the same US equipment can also be sent there with no delays.

As to China and it's economy - there is a lot of talk about a downturn due to Covid restrictions but the major factor is the exodus
of foreign companies, every type from tech giants, clothing and furniture manufacturers to ship builders. There is an economic shift going
on which will benefit other countries and lower Chinas ability to buy into other countries.

Taiwan is also a long way ahead of China in the area of semi conductors. To control more of the tech industry China needs to be a major
player in that area. They have never managed to get more than 5% of that market with Taiwan having 65%and a big advantage in
quality / innovation.

I have been wondering whether Ukraine has a lot Russia wants in some areas rather than just the prestige of ownership.

Taiwan is more likely to be a naval blockade situation which brings a different military spin compared to the Ukraine. The main lesson the Chinese would have learnt from Ukraine would be how the West's (and especially the public's) resolve has hardened behind Ukraine. That said, they will also have learnt the same lessons as Russia in that the war may still be won (lost for Ukraine) if one can stab them in the back using useful idiots/fellow travellers in places like the USA and elsewhere.

Is it just me or is this another example of Putin not recognizing the law of unintended consequences? Putting an extra 23,000 men--and, worse,conviced criminals--into Prigozhin's private army doesn't seem like a smart move to me.
Unless they figure that the best way of committing war-crimes is to get people who've already committed crimes. They've already been trying to kill off the non-Russian population in the Ukraine with the idea that, if they do it enough, they'll be left with enough Russians who will probably accept annexation.

Updated (12/9): The idea of using convicted criminals is not unique in Russian/Soviet history. Stalin did this in WWII using prisoners from Gulags to fight the Germans (as an interesting note, after the war was over, they did not get their freedom, but were sent right back to the Gulags -- something a lot of people viewed as the inhumanity of the Soviet system)

If their nuke program is run with the same level of integrity and efficiency as the rest of the military....
I have trouble believing they would ever do anything that would undermine the effectiveness of their nuclear weapons program. I agree with Thumpalumpacus that a more serious problem would be the weapons finding their way into extremist groups should Russia fall.

Maybe the worldwide exposure to electronically simulated reality has fueled an addiction to alternate reality and a blurring of true reality
That is a seriously disturbing possibility: Look at how many people walk around texting without paying basic attention to their surroundings (While I own an iPhone, I almost never use it. I do carry a flip-phone on me when I go outside as a general rule, but I don't usually make that many calls with it, and most last around a minute -- the NSA probably can attest to this j/k).

As for Putin, I don't think that's the case, I think it's more hubris than anything else. Most people like him end up often doing themselves in that way (our global banking elites seem to be almost immune to this for reasons that remain unseen) and, while that's good, they often take out lots of innocent people with them when hubris finally takes over.

Last edited:
I have been wondering whether Ukraine has a lot Russia wants in some areas rather than just the prestige of ownership.
In addition to being very productive agriculturally, Ukraine is rich in natural gas and minerals, much of which has only recently been discovered. Russia's pre-war thinking was that we can't have Ukraine cutting into our otherwise monopoly of pipelines to Europe.

If Ukraine is ever made a member of the EU the potential economic, resource and industrial power of Ukraine may rattle some of the established EU powers. Assuming a pre-war population of close to 44 million people, only Germany, France, Italy and Spain will have more people. The demographics would shift Poland and the other EU members down the list. Same goes for potential NATO membership, Ukraine would bring the largest army in continental Europe, rattling some egos.

I think a lot of it has to do with jealousy. Could Putin allow a successful western style democracy, from a former Soviet republic, flourish on Russia's doorstep? A nation that in Russia's eyes is Russia?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread