"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

If we could protect them, sure. I think it'd be better to airlift SAM batteries first, otherwise, we're throwing targets into range.
I don't think it is cost effective to destroy solar panels with missiles or drones.
Russia is targeting power plants and main electric transformer hubs. Wich are a few and easy concentrated targets. Scatered solar panels, on the other hand will require thousands and thousands of missiles that are orders of magnitude more expensive than the panel they destroy.

Its the reverse of the curret situation we where discussing before. Its not cost effective to use expensive SAMS to intercept cheap Iranian drones. So i Repeat the proposal ...
What about a squadron of Hurricane Mk IIB? you can't go wrong with 12 guns firing 1150 rpm each :tearsofjoy:

I know I know, there may be no hurricanes around, but ... is there any modern equivalent that could be used in the anti-drone role?
Those drones fly at around 100-200 Kmph, so a propeller aircraft is fast enough. Maybe something like a COIN aircraft equipped with a few GAU-2

Those drones fly at around 100-200 Kmph, so a propeller aircraft is fast enough. Maybe something like a COIN aircraft equipped with a few GAU-2
The OV-10 Bronco o the Embraer Súper Tucano could be a solution but Who need pretty good GCI to do the job and, maybe, fit a radar in the plane to do the interception. At night and/or bad weather sighting such a small target could be a hard task.

Solar panels will be about as much use in the Ukrainian winter as a chocolate teapot - might even be down at the level of
a lasagna trampoline.

Distributed diesel generators would be easier to protect and would give a reliable supply.

Those drones are easily replaceable... No worry about the price, Arab sheikhs love Russian girls, they will replace dozens of drones with just one Russian girl, specially if she is virgin and under 14...

In this case, best way to counter them, is elimination of those operators... it is less costly, and to be honest, who cares about a few terorists being fucked up??? I, personally, cry of happiness, whenever I hear a terorist is fucked up.

Good article on Russia's failure in Ukraine.

Here's paywall free access, https://archive.vn/lUU9l

A part from the Ukrainian Air Force:

As missiles struck the southern city of Mykolaiv before dawn, a Ukrainian pilot, Oleksii, woke up to a phone call: Get to the runway, a fellow pilot told him.
Oleksii bolted across the tarmac in the dark as the first Russian missiles landed, clambered into his Su-27 fighter jet and took off just as buildings across the airfield began to explode.

"At that moment, I understood that it was really something bad," said Oleksii, 26, on condition that only his first name and rank, captain, be used. Some other soldiers and officials in this article were not authorized to speak publicly, or faced reprisals.

Just before 6 a.m. Moscow time, Mr. Putin declared the opening of his "special military operation" in a televised address. It began with an aerial bombardment to take out Ukraine's air defenses, communications and radar installations — to overwhelm its military and shatter its ability to fight back.

More than 150 missiles thundered into Ukraine from bombers, submarines and ships. As many as 75 Russian aircraft streaked into Ukrainian skies, about the size of Ukraine's entire working air combat fleet, analysts and officials said.

On his radar screen, Oleksii saw the blips of incoming missiles and enemy aircraft before getting his orders: Fly to a backup air base in central Ukraine. When he landed, he was astonished. Not only was his unit there, but a good portion of Ukraine's remaining air force as well.

For days, he and his fellow pilots flew missions from their new base, wondering when Russian radar operators would finally notice them. A strike on their position could have been disastrous, gutting the Ukrainian defense, and the pilots assumed it was only a matter of time until one came. But it took four days for the Russians to attack, and most of the aircraft had moved to new locations by then, leaving Oleksii in amazement.

"It was really simple," he said. "I don't know how they missed this opportunity."

The failure to destroy Ukraine's modest air defenses was one of the most significant blunders of the war, foiling Russia's mighty air force early on. Interviews revealed why that happened — and how the Ukrainians managed to stay a step ahead of their invaders.

First Germany, now Japan. The parallels with the 1930s are depressingly familiar:

TOKYO, Dec 16 (Reuters) - Japan on Friday unveiled its biggest military build-up since World War Two with a $320 billion plan that will buy missiles capable of striking China and ready it for sustained conflict, as regional tensions and Russia's Ukraine invasion stoke war fears.

The sweeping, five-year plan, once unthinkable in pacifist Japan, will make the country the world's third-biggest military spender after the United States and China, based on current budgets.

Prime Minister Fumio Kishida, who described Japan and its people as being at a "turning point in history", said the ramp-up was "my answer to the various security challenges that we face".

His government worries that Russia has set a precedent that will encourage China to attack Taiwan, threatening nearby Japanese islands, disrupting supplies of advanced semiconductors and putting a potential stranglehold on sea lanes that supply Middle East oil.

"Russia's invasion of Ukraine is a serious violation of laws that forbid the use of force and has shaken the foundations of the international order," the strategy paper said.

"The strategic challenge posed by China is the biggest Japan has ever faced," it added, also noting that Beijing had not ruled out using force to bring Taiwan under its control.

I cannot imagine President Xi being very happy with Putin, what with his invasion having woken up the democracies, one of which is right on his doorstep.

@mantra22 , Shinpachi Shinpachi

Japanese have once captured China...
Given any chance, is this possible with modern Japanese army?

In other word, is Japanese army able to repeat history?

Japan held technical superiority over China in the 1930's and also took advantage of the political situation at the time.
China was in the midst of a civil war between Nationalists, Communists, warlords and a failing Imperial government.

Today's China is much more advanced militarily as well as unified under a single government, so would be quick to respond to military action.

I doubt it. China was a hodge-podge of territories controlled by warlords. No air force to speak of and I don't recall ever reading anything about Chinese naval assets.
Today, China has one warlord and one HUGE army and serious naval and Air Force assets. I can't see Japan launching an amphibious assault and the Korean route is a non starter.

Solar panels will be about as much use in the Ukrainian winter as a chocolate teapot - might even be down at the level of
a lasagna trampoline.
Is there sunshine? If so, they work. even small panels distributed along with batteries to individual households help
Distributed diesel generators would be easier to protect and would give a reliable supply.
And need fuel though did say both

Last edited:
I don't think it is cost effective to destroy solar panels with missiles or drones.
Russia is targeting power plants and main electric transformer hubs. Wich are a few and easy concentrated targets. Scatered solar panels, on the other hand will require thousands and thousands of missiles that are orders of magnitude more expensive than the panel they destroy.
Agreed

If we could protect them, sure. I think it'd be better to airlift SAM batteries first, otherwise, we're throwing targets into range.
Weapons are fine but if the immediate targeting Putin is doing is the Ukrainian power infrastructure then this is an immediate 'band-aid' It would be part of a comprehensive solution.

BTW, I was thinking of anything ranging from small, individual generators/panels suitable for individuals/families up to bigger, but still portable systems such as:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back